Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel
Tontine Hotel(Greenock)
  • Restaurant
The Waterfront(Greenock)
View Hotel
All reviewswedding venueafternoon teafrom start to finishwedding receptionlovely hoteldaughters weddingspecial thankschurch bellsfirst classevery member of staffbar arealovely viewmr mrsbeautiful locationcourse dinnersteakcooked to perfection
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2013

All I can say is fantastic! All of the staff that we met throughout our stay were absolutely superb - they genuinely do enjoy their job and it shows!

The view from our room (no.11) was gorgeous - looking across the loch - I could of sat there all day looking at the view!

Room was of a very good size. Bed was huge! (2 zipped together) but was comfy. The church bells did not bother us at all.

Food was excellent in the restaurant.

It was so nice that everyone remembered our names and truly treated us like family.

A wonderful stay - would recommend without hesitation.

A big thank you to all who looked after us - Don, Celine, Jennifer, Zoe and the lovely lady who checked us in - so sorry cannot remember your name.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. Your opinion means a great deal to us.

Thanks Again

Reviewed 26 October 2013

As we were attending a function on 25th October we decided to also book an overnight stay at this hotel. We stayed in room 14 - the second floor-which had great views but unfortunately had an uncomfortable bed and the ceiling just above the bed had obviously suffered water ingress at some point and required to be painted over.

On the plus side the three course meal served at the function we were attending was delicious and the opera singing waiters providing the entertainment were excellent. The function suite consisting of the conservatory and an adjacent room with small dance floor, were decorated to a high standard and I can see why this hotel is a popular venue for weddings.

However, it all went downhill the next morning when we went for breakfast. We were shown to our table and asked if we would like tea/coffee/toast and advised by the server that she would be back to take our hot breakfast order. Well we sat and waited and waited as other guests were shown to their tables and their orders taken promptly until I had eventually ask one of the other servers if there was any chance of us ordering breakfast. The breakfast itself was fine but not worth us spending some 45 minutes in the restaurant for a basic fry up.

The original server did apologise for the delay and I again spoke to her as I was on my way out of the hotel. Apparently she was called away to do something else which is fine although she should have alerted someone else to take our order. I advised her that after an enjoyable evening we were disappointed with the standard of service afforded at breakfast and that this had marred our experience at the hotel. I also advised that my review on trip advisor would reflect our disappointment as having read various reviews of different hotels/ restaurants etc it is clear that management get annoyed if clients do not voice their concerns at the time prior to publishing their thoughts on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. It is through reviews and comments from our guests that we can further develop what we offer. I will not attempt to make any lame excuses for the shortfalls you experienced during your visit. I will say however we are in the process of changing the beds throughout the hotel but have not completed the programme yet, this is on going and will be completed in the near future.
I have instructed our maintenance team to attend to the paint work immediately.
I sincerely apologise for the experience you had at breakfast, the waitress in question actually made we aware of her shortfall in service delivery and apologises once again. I can assure you it is very uncharacteristic but will not be excused and I have made my views known on this.
Its a shame that something so simple to avoid has marred your visit to Rosslea be assured it is not the norm.
I do also take note of the positives that you have mentioned and again thanks for your comments.
I do hope this isolated incident has not clouded your judgement and would be delighted to welcome you back to the Rosslea to experience the usual Rosslea Hospitality. Please contact me directly and we can discuss further.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Great location once you find it ..don't bother with the postcode on satnav as it takes you to the other side of the Loch..use the location of the Yacht Club. Breakfast is ok, room was good and large, bathroom was cold.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.

I am sorry you had difficulty in finding us but some satnav's seem to have that problem, fortunately most do find us. Guests who contact the hotel directly are usually informed of this as I can understand completely why you were upset.
I am pleased to see that you felt the hotel was nice and just wish that the team had given you the service I expect them to, 5* this would have made up for your disappointment on other aspects.

Once again thank you

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We booked this hotel in an emergency, our plan was to stay in a self catering cottage in Balloch but when we arrived it was horrific, so plan B was to google hotels in the area and this one came up.
We arrived are were promptly checked in and given our room key, I have to say that first impressions could have been better as the chap behind reception could have been better turned out and there were staff hanging around reception which I feel never looks good.
The room was clean, warm and fairly modern, the bed was fine, the bathroom agian fine.
The real bonus was the food we ate in the bar both nights and both nights the qualtiy and varity was fantastic.
The morning that We checked out, the staff had changed and there was a real feeling of professionalism.
We will use again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. It is through feedback good or bad for that matter that we get an opportunity to develop our service through staff training. It makes me so proud to read comments such as yours and I will make sure all the staff see this feedback. Hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Thanks again and kind regards

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have been here at the beginning of April this year and still hoping to visit this lovely place again in the nearest future. Thanks to laterooms reservation we found this little hotel with lovely views and very nice staff. B&B was a perfect choice: the traditional Scottish breakfast and nice room where we have spent our night (just after having an amazing supper at La Barca). The view of the town somewhere on the horizon plus harbour with yachts and beautiful lake.... Our room was clean and recently refurbished (we have paid £69 for Superior Double Room for 2 with breakfast included). We definitely will be back and highly recommend this place to people who do not care about modern facilities and love the quiet, romantic and outstanding places like the Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel. And definitely try La Barca when planning your visit!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lake view, otherwise you won't be satisfied!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank samarko

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Rosslea hall. I will make sure the staff see this post as we are all very interested in the opinion of our guests as we continually strive to improve our service.

Thanks and Kind Regards