“A quiet Friday in Feb…...”

Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rhu
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We decided to stay here on a Friday evening on our way to Loch Lomond for a weekend. We took up their offer of Dinner, Bed and Breakfast in a Superior Double with views over Firth of Clyde. As expected the hotel was not bustling at this time of year but it certainly delivered a great experience for comfort, food, service and position. We stayed in room 16 which was above the Conservatory and would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to note your comment and will be sure to pass on to the team. The opinion of our guests is extremely important to us as we contine to strive for excellent customer service.

Thanks once again

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stopped of at the Rosslea Hall Sat 15th Feb on the way back down from a working trip in the Highlands.
On booking this hotel everything looked and read fine, the website reviews read well so I booked up and expected a quality stop over.

I will keep this to the point and hope that the management take note!

We booked a superior room with a seaview - room 31 which we got and although it was a nice room I personally would not class it as a Superior room. On arriving at reception to check-in we were told that the restaurant was fully booked for a Valentine weekend - Great start!! once in the room and trying the TV which must have come off the Arc and completely an utterly long overdue for the bin it would only show 2 channels and it was mammoth exercise to find them it would not turn off and the remote was a nightmare- I'm guessing they have been told about this TV a thousand times and have completely and utterly ignored customer feedback.
Ok the shower !! very nice and powerful - but if you cant swim don't you dare turn it on it leaks out of the back of the bath tub and over the sides beyond the glass splash guard which leaves the floor completely drenched in water - the bottom of the bathroom door takes the brunt of this and as a result has now got a serious peeling and swelling disease developing !

And now the deal clincher the BREAKFAST- the hand gestures and the faces of the other guests I was looking at just said it all - or were they looking at me and thinking brace yourself Rodney wait till you get off your seat and see whats left for breakfast !!! breakfast is a do it yourself affair and from what looks like an abandoned room back out near the main reception
You will find in there a very small assortment of cereals etc but when we lifted the lids off the main hot plates we found 1 egg 4 rashers of bacon and some beans and mushrooms all of which were LUKE WARM and when other guests are behind you waiting there turn for THE Egg it all gets a bit ridiculous, on sitting down service was just as bad we had to shout the girl over and ask for some toast and tea by the way the fresh orange is either the worst orange juice in the world or it is watered down.. terrible!!!!
So to sum up our experience of our stop over, the meal we had in the bar was very nice and the bar man who served us was polite and an absolute pleasure and a gentleman to talk to - the Rosslea needs a serious shake up to be taken serious as a Professionally run Hotel.

Room Tip: You need a Modern Flat Screen TV that works, Plenty of towels, A new Door
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank daveharri
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am really quite disappointed that we did not deliver an enjoyable experience to you. If I may address the issues as you have raised them.
Room 31 is one of our larger sea facing rooms and in good state of repair and is one of our superior rooms. The TV is a flat screen wall mounted TV which granted is several years old but seems to work ok I have just checked this. I will monitor this though. I have also run the shower which is identical to every other shower in the hotel and likewise the shower screen, the screen is tight to the wall and to the bath top so I'm afraid I am at a loss as to why water would end up on the floor. The bottom of the bathroom door has certainly blistered and is being remedied as we speak this door is one and a half cm off the floor so has not received any damage by water. I do apologise that the room was not to your liking.
Breakfast: I apologise most sincerely I'm afraid I made a judgement call to serve breakfast in a buffet style as I expected the majority of our guests to come down at the same time, this was clearly a mistake on my behalf as you rightly pointed out some of the items were not available toward the end of service. Our standard at Rosslea is to deliver a full plated service which is a bit slower however we do not run out of some of our menu items " Lesson Learned " I have spoken to my Chef regarding the issues and I am confident there will be no repeat going forward.
I personally spent most of my morning at the Reception Area to wish goodbye to our guests on checkout and also to address any issues with the shortfall at breakfast as I was aware that four couples did not have a good experience. I am a great believer in resolving issues at the time and indeed two of the couples took me up on my offer of a complimentary lunch and late checkout because of the issues at breakfast. Its a shame that I did not get to speak to you as I am sure you would have been satisfied with the outcome.
On that note I hope that this experience has not put you off retuning to visit Rosslea as I am keen to make ammends and give you the service and experience that you should have received on your last visit. Please contact me directly on 01436 439955 should you wish to discuss further.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel to attend a wedding. The hotel itself is a decent 3 star in a pretty location, however the wedding we attended was 5 star. The service, food and attention to detail by the staff was great. The wedding service was held in the conservatory and this opened into the reception area, both were decorated beautifully and the extra touches made it the best wedding we have been too. If you're thinking about this hotel as a wedding venue, don't hesitate.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaybel

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with others through TripAdvisor. It is very encouraging to read reviews such as this, I am so pleased that you enjoyed our service and hope that you will return the next time you visit Bonnie Scotland!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We don’t know where to start on this review as we did not think anything could be perfect, However when it comes to weddings, The Rosslea Hall Hotel pull out all the stops to ensure that perfection is delivered. We started to plan our wedding 18 months ago and our first meeting was with Don went so well that we decided to have our wedding there and went for the Winter Wonderland Wedding theme to be held on the 31st of December 2013. After a few meeting with Don and Lynn we got everything sorted out that had to be done from table centres to the music being played on our big day.
Firstly we would like to thank the housekeeping team for getting our rooms ready the night before our wedding and on the day and on how well the hotel looked all over.
A Big thanks goes to Lynn Graham for all her support during the planning of the wedding. Lynn went through all the details and helped us make decisions about every aspect of the day and ensure these were delivered. The transformation of the venue from a basic room to a winter wonderland was made by Lynn and it was truly magical.
We would like to thank Head Chef Tony and his team for such amazing food throughout the day. All our family and friends said it was the best wedding they had been to for having so much excellent food.
We would also like to thank Bob and his Food & Beverage staff for the attention to detail throughout the day and night. Every member of the team went out of their way to make sure everything went smoothly and when guests requested extra help they were more than happy to oblige.
Also we would like to thank Jim the DJ for keeping us all entertained and playing requests when asked. Another special feature was the firework display and the bagpipes being played by Russell at Midnight to bring in the New Year.
Finally we would like to thank Don McGregor for all his help and support throughout all the planning. Don led a perfect team to deliver the perfect wedding of our dreams.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of getting married or even just having a break here as not only is the hotel perfect but the location, scenery, staff, food, drink and rooms are all so perfect.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ashley H

Dear Ashley

Thank you very much for your kind words and also for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. It was a great day and a very pleasurable experience for all of the team. Of course it is all the easier when we are working with a lovely couple and indeed a great bunch of guests.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Attended a family wedding at the hotel and stayed overnight. The rooms were nicely decorated and comfortable, quite a decent breakfast in the morning. Thoroughly enjoyed the wedding although I did think the bar prices were on the steep side.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank mcadamwj

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed the wedding you were attending as we take great pride in our wedding service. I am at a bit of a loss mid you with your comments about our beverage prices, our prices are set at the same level as standard lounge bar's throughout the area. At just over £3 per pint and under £3 for a standard spirit I think the value is particularly good.
Thanks However for your comments and I will continue to monitor our pricing.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I had my wedding at Rosslea Hall Hotel on the 18th of January 2014, and from beginning to end it was perfect. Rosslea was a huge, huge part of this. If you are considering them as a wedding venue then do not hesitate to book them immediately. Nowhere else will you find such attention to detail, treating every couple as individuals and adapting their services to suit you exactly. I have absolutely no regrets for choosing this amazing venue as my wedding venue.

Firstly, the hotel is beautiful, and with its lovely surroundings it makes for gorgeous photos inside and out. The weather on the day was less than perfect but this didn't matter because there were so many lovely areas for photographs inside of the hotel.

Secondly, and most importantly, absolutely every person involved in arranging the day was so absolutely attentive, it was imperative to them that my wedding went perfectly. I cannot stress enough how much effort they put in to make it perfect, and yet with all that they were still smiling and happy.

First there was Jennifer who was the one who collaborated with us in arranging the whole wedding (although Hazel was involved a little as well and is equally lovely). If there were any adjustments to make they were immediately arranged by Jennifer, and all replies to emails were prompt, warm and helpful. She always knew the progress of each aspect of the day at any time and was happy to walk us through anything we were unsure of.

Secondly there was the chef, Tony, and all his staff. His food is to die for, but not only this his passion for cooking and ability to adapt was amazing. The reason why this was so notable for my wedding is that my groom, and the groom's side of the wedding, are Iraqi, and so we requested that the evening buffet be Iraqi food. This was no problem at all for Tony, who invited my mother in law to the hotel to show him the traditional method to prepare three Iraqi dishes for the evening buffet. This showed such attention to detail, willingness to please, and passion and talent for his job that we were truly touched (and all the food on the day was completely delicious).

He epitomised the whole manner of Rosslea in treating people as individuals, in adapting to circumstances that other wedding venues simply wouldn't have cared enough for to do anything about. This is certainly and absolutely not a conveyor-belt wedding venue.

Lastly there were the two stars of the show on the day, Don and Bob. Bob showed incredible talent and flair in his set-up of the tables, including accounting for a couple of last minute cancellations from guests. I know I'm stressing this point, but amazing attention to detail and amazing professionalism.
Don dealt with the ceremony, led us through the speeches, and through it all was such an amazingly warm and comforting face to see throughout the day. When I came downstairs ready to go down the aisle, absolutely terrified of walking down it on display, Don talked me through exactly what was going to happen, and then talked me through it again, knowing that I hadn't been listening as I'd been too nervous. He didn't need to be prompted to do this, there was no nudge from us in this direction, it was just an example of the intuition and the experience that he showed consistently in every part of the day. He always explained to us exactly what was going to happen, with incredible kindness and warmth, leading us through all the little routines of the day that had flown right out of our heads with nervousness.
Then Bob took over again for the evening reception. He was absolutely on top of everything going on at all times. Absolutely professional, all-seeing and again showing the same wonderful intuition. He knew where everyone was, he knew exactly what was happening, and he was able to make things happen with amazing alacrity. At one point we discovered some evening guests had neglected to inform us of their vegetarian status, and Bob was immediately in the kitchen, arranging for vegetarian meals for them. He was the most effective manager I have ever witnessed in my life, and the night went without a single hitch because of him.

These are just the stars of the show, there were many other little details that make Rosslea perfect, like all the other staff, always smiling and helpful, like the gorgeous bridal suite and the beautiful card left on our pillow from Rosslea which will forever serve as a memento from this perfect day, but I think possibly everyone has gotten the picture by this point. If you are considering booking Rosslea for your wedding or any event DO IT!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel D

Dear Rachel

Thank you so much for your very kind words and for taking the time to post a review of your experience on tripadvisor. Your wedding was a pleasure to deliver, such a lovely bunch of people. Please be assured I will pass your comments onto all of the team but in particular those you have mentioned in person. I is wonderful to read reviews of this nature.

Thanks Again

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We came at short notice to a funeral and the staff could not have been more helpful. They arranged quiet rooms for us (very clean and comfortable and modern) which were at the front of the hotel and level 1 but no noise at all. They also arranged the wake within 24 hours and the staff really bent over backwards to be understanding, helpful and considerate. A sweet little hotel full of warm staff with a pride about where they work.

Room Tip: Even in rooms at the front of the hotel overlooking the car park we had a quiet nights sleep
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CAExplorers

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit on Tripadvisor. It is with pleasure I read your words. The opinion of our visitors is very important to us and I am delighted that you found the team to be understanding and helpful at such a difficult time for you.

Don

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhu
Knockderry House Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Kilcreggan Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilcreggan
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
Lodge on Loch Lomond

Been to Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!