Was staying in Helensburgh for a night and wasn't too sure on where to stay. Looking at other hotels in the area (having not enjoyed too many of them in the past) I decided to give Rosslea Hall Hotel a chance as the prices were very fair and it looked very nice on the website.
Upon arriving we were asked if we would like to book a table for dinner but we wouldn't be able to eat until 7:45 because there was a wedding on. Although I wasn't eating in the hotel I was happy to get offered the table and impressed that they weren't following in the footsteps of so many other hotels and cramming us in a corner during a busy time (which usually only means slow service and stressed staff)
I was then told all the details I needed to know such as breakfast times, checkout times etc and proceeded to go to my room. When entering the room I was impressed by how nice it was. Big bed, spacious, nice bathroom with complimentary shower gel. The windows were beautiful, letting in lots of light although at the cost of some privacy as people in the car park could get a full view of the whole room (I was on the first floor up). But nothing that the curtains couldn't fix.
The bathroom also didn't have a lock, but that wasn't a problem.
My sleep was very comfortable and I couldn't hear much noise through the night. I was just getting ready to leave when my room was called by reception. I had slept in too late for breakfast and reception were recommending that I try their Sunday lunch, and since it was included in my package I decided to book a table for 5 minutes later and went downstairs to eat before the long drive home. The restaurant was empty and I was quickly met by a woman who seemed very professional who sat us at a table in a very...classy? restaurant. Our drinks and food order was quickly taken and the food arrived not much later,The waitress was lovely and very chatty.
I had the potato soup which was lovely although I had to season it slightly more with the salt on the table for it to be to my liking. I then had chicken and haggis with mash potato and greens, and it was beautiful (certainly cured my hangover from the night before). If I had to pick anything I would change about the restaurant, I could only say that the sauce on the chicken was splitting and the playlist I think only had about 4 songs in it.
Also my girlfriend was looking through the wedding leaflets in the room and hinting heavily that she would just LOVE a wedding there.
Getting back to the car I was asked by my girlfriend what was wrong with the hotel as I am a big complainer and I really couldn't really think of anything, It was a lovely nights stay and I really cant think of any reason that people wouldn't like it here. Even family members in the area were telling me about how good a reputation it has gotten recently.
I very much look forward to returning in the future, Good job guys!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the picturesque village of Rhu overlooking the Firth of Clyde, near Loch Lomond. The Rosslea Hall offers you a choice of traditional elegance and modern facilities. Our award winning Restaurant and wedding venue are famed for the quality of food and service. Built in 1849 by Architect Daniel Walkinshaw, who was so enamoured by Italy in general, decided his house should be italian in style and built on the shores that most resembled his loved Bay of Naples. To this day, with its bell tower clearly visible from the peninsula in Rhu Rosslea still has the Italianate flavour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rosslea Hall Country Hotel
- Rosslea Hall Country Rhu
- Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel Rhu, Scotland