“Feels Like a Four Star” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rhu
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Feels Like a Four Star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Rosslea Hotel's official rating is three stars but staying here it really feels like a four star hotel, so the current TripAdvisor rating feels accurate.

We stayed for two nights and the room was really nice, clean with a good TV and large bed which was comfy. It had a great view of the Loch from the window.

I can only think that the reason the hotel is three stars is because it does not have a lift and plenty of steps (staff did kindly offer to carry bags up for us) and the breakfast is quite slow at being served. Maybe the hotel was particularly busy but it operated a system where you helped yourself to continental breakfast but the cooked food was taken to order. First you order your hot drinks and then they come back later for the food order. This took a while to arrive on both days so if you are in a rush to get anywhere, factor in that it takes 30-40 minutes for the breakfast process. This really could do with speeding up some how when busy. We also only received one slice of toast each both days even though we asked for more on the second day. It should be noted that the quality of the food was really good and I can recommend the porridge if you fancy a change from the usual cooked affair.

The hotel also has a restaurant and a bar, which we did not use, but they looked very nice.

I also appreciated the information about the history of the hotel in the room. That was a nice touch. I wish more historical hotels would do the same.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Robert D M, General Manager at Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travellers through TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to read your comments and equally so that you had in general a very positive visit.
I have taken on board your comment at the speed of service during breakfast and of the quantity of food delivered to your table. I have spent a considerable time now changing and implementing a new standard at breakfast because like you I expect the service to be faster and I have reinforced how much of what should be put out.
I do hope that these points have not clouded your judgement and would be delighted to welcome you back and get your opinion on our improvements.

Don

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Beautiful hotel in an excellent position overlooking Loch & Helensburgh Sailing Club - excellent venue for wedding parties.
Debbie on Reception was friendly and very helpful as was Emma who looked after us on arrival.
At dinner in the restaurant overlooking the Loch there was a bit of a mix up and we had quite a wait for our meal though I'm not sure my partner's Beef done in Treacle would be to everyone's taste!
A comfy room with views but poor lighting in the bathroom.
At breakfast again there was a problem swiftly attended to by Mr MacGregor the Hotel Manager.
Superb service and I will be back again!

Room Tip: Always a room with a view!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit on TripAdvisor, it is through feedback good or bad for that matter that we get the opportunity to develop areas that require improving. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable experience but do apologise for the shortfall which you have very kindly called a mix up, thank you for being an understanding traveller.
A retraining programme is now in place to avoid a repeat.

I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you both back in the not to distant future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

This is a good hotel, I have stayed in worse 4*'s. room was an excellent size and very clean. Bar area was good and food variety was fine. We didn't try the restaurant but there was a different menu there too so plenty of choice. Allow plenty of time for breakfast as service was a little slow. The choice for continental looked limited but the cooked was a good selection and tasty. Would stay there again if we were in the area.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience on tripadvisor. The opinion of all our guest's is very important to us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I have taken on board you comment about breakfast times, I have changed certain elements of the service delivery to ensure that this service is a bit more efficient.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

we had a wonderful week last week from sunday to saturday at Rosslea as we always do. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. All the staff are so helpful,pleasant and friendly making you feel so welcome. Many thanks to you all.Breakfast is excellent and so are the evening meals whether in the resteraunt or bar. We return to Rosslea as often as we can and thoroughly enjoy ourselves every time.Beautiful views, scenery and people.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank redrose35
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your kind words and of course for sharing your opinion with other travellers through TripAdvisor.
I was delightful to welcome you both back to Rosslea and I am so pleased that you had such a pleasant stay.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future

Take care and best wishes from all of the team

Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I came home today after spending 2 nights at the hotel for a wedding. The setting and hotel was superb and I can not fault anything! They made the brides and grooms day so special. I have to say the staff were amazing and made my job of Maid of Honour easier! Thanks to Victoria who put up with our demands and was always there when we needed her. It was the best wedding venue I had ever been to. I have to mention Bob and Cheryl who were amazing on the day/night and took very good care of us! The biggest thanks is for Alec and Lynn who made the day and night so special for the wedding party and the guests, I will be recommending the hotel to everyone.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Karenmckelviebrown
Dear Karen

WOW!! what can I say, this is the sort of review I have great pleasure in reading. I have passed your comments onto all staff and in particular those you have mentioned by name. We take great pride in our service delivery and our reputation as a top wedding venue is growing fast.

Thanks for taking the time to post this on TripAdvisor ensuring other travellers hear of your experience.

Port Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed at the hotel on 16/8/14 for a family wedding. Reception let us book in on arrival although check in time wasn't until after the ceremony which was fantastic. Very friendly staff who couldn't do enough for you. Delicious food and very reasonable priced bar. Spacious rooms with stunning view over the Clyde. Definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Hotel doesn't have a lift therefore if have difficulty walking would recommend asking for ground...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
2 Thank Julie M
Dear Julie

Thank you so much for this excellent review, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable time. Thanks also for taking the time to share this with others through TripAdvisor.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We had two nights in a loch view room. Lovely clean room being quite spacious.
The staff were most welcoming checking if all was ok, even offering to lug my bag up the stairs which I declined.
Breakfast was excellent, the staff in the dining area were tremendous so all in all a happy stay except:
The wifi didn't work in our room. The staff tried various things to get it working but no go. It worked in the restaurant but we had wanted to Skype home from our room. There were no other water view rooms we could be moved to so we just had to accept no wifi for two days.
Also the heated towel rail was on all the time. It made the room quite warm so on the second night the staff found a fan for us so we could get some relief from the heat whilst trying to sleep.
It was a shame about the wifi and towel rail as it made what could of been a fabulous getaway a bit disappointing.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with others through TripAdvisor, I am delighted to note the positive elements of your stay and apologise for the less positive, I am delighted to inform you that we are currently instaling a new more powerful system to deal with WIFI as this area has been notoriously poor for reception due I believe to the surrounding mountains. I have been assured the new system will compensate for this. I have also dealt with the towel rail situation which now has an on off switch.
I do hope to see you back at Rosslea in the not too distant future.

Don
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rhu
Knockderry House Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith

Been to Rosslea Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!