“mixed feelings” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rowardennan Hotel Restaurant

The Rowardennan Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene, Groups, View
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Coylton, United Kingdom
“mixed feelings”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having finished our day on the west highland way we were really looking forward to our nights stay in the hotel. Quite unbelievably not one person welcomed us to the hotel, after ringing the bell in reception I noticed a sign saying to go through to the bar if nobody is available. When I asked the bar staff how we check in I was simply told go and ring the bell again. By the time I got back to reception a lady appeared to check us in, didn't say hello, simply gave me a form to fill in and how to get to my room. Our room was actually okay....with not much change from £100 b&b I would expect it to be...food was awful, burger very dry, steak pie the same with rock solid chips. I should have made staff aware but got the feeling I'd be wasting my time. Our cooked breakfast was cold and over cooked....by that time we just wanted out the place...it's a shame because I actually quite liked the hotel itself and room ...

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bruciem

Norwich, United Kingdom
“It's fine, but you have no choice anyway!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

It's the only restaurant, so why are you reading this review? You have no choice but to eat here if your hungry!
The food is fine. Served very quickly (probably because it is microwaved). It's not great, but perfectly edible and staff were nice.

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Ate here one evening whilst walking the West Highland Way,(stayed elsewhere). The food was the worst we encountered anywhere in Scotland. It seems that because they are the "only game in town" and there is nowhere else to eat, the don't care about the standard of food they provide. Macaroni cheese, came in a tiny bowl, with a few peas, and cold soggy chips. My husband had shepherds pie, which came with the garlic bread that according to the menu, should have come with my macaroni cheese. When he queried this, and asked for the vegetables that the menu said would be served with the pie, he was brought a very small bowl of cold peas. Still hungry I ordered a "home made" apple pie with custard. What I got was a triangle of cold stewed apples, resting on a micro thin layer of uncooked pastry (no pastry round the side etc) served with what was apparently crème anglais (very cold). I queried this, as I had specified hot custard, but was told they had run out. In that case I should have been offered cream or ice cream, as the menu stated. Inedible. Bar staff refunded our money. Wish we didn't have to eat here, they need some competition to make them improve standards. Next time we do the WHW, we will plan the days to avoid Rowardennan.

• Visited June 2014
Kelso, United Kingdom
“Best Shepherd's Pie ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Lovely Shepherd's Pie with cheese topping. My husband had an excellent steak pie. Roaring fire - most welcome even though it was June.

Visited June 2014
Erskine, United Kingdom
“Pub dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Went into the pub whilst staying at lodges in the beautiful Rowardennan setting. Ordered starter of bruschetta and mac n cheese for main. The starter was one medium sized piece of bread with a tiny salad in side, it looked ridiculous in the plate - they price this at £4, my mac and cheese came and was tasty but mildly warm. My fiance also ordered the salmon salad and he did say it was 'quite nice' but there must have been about 6-8 pieces of chopped salmon in among the large salad, hardly worth the wait. The pub was so busy and my fiance didn't want me saying anything and 'making a scene' so i reluctantly decided to just continue to eat but we left after paying over £40 for our starters mains and a drink each and felt i didn't at all get value for money. The food was very nice, but quantity and over pricing of food was the issue here. Not your usual pub approach. A beautiful location and quaint pub and most staff pleasant but definitely not somewhere you'll get value for money.

• Visited June 2014