All reviewsself catering kitchenyouth hostelthe kitchenpacked lunchstayed herecooked breakfastloch lomondwest highland waycommon roomhuge windowsshower facilitieswould stay here againdrying roomlarge loungeamazing locationtwin roomevening meal
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here after the second day of walking the West Highland Way. Had been a tough day so a comfy bed, hot shower and good grub was what we craved , the youth hostel ticked all boxes. TV lounge was very cosy, everything was immaculate. Think at least breakfast should be included in the price, not an extra, food was good though, perfect feed before a day's walking

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

very nice staff - clean and tidy bedrooms. showerrooms and commun rooms
I will reorganise week ends with this hostel.
It is a bit expensive but worth it.
Located just at the foot of Ben Lomond and the west highland way, this Hostel will put you straight on the way for these challenges.

Eric

Room Tip: ask for a loch view on the main house
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ericlive
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed for 1 night whilst walking the West Highland way, and it was great. The location is just wonderful- we sat in the lounge in the evening looking out of the huge windows over Loch Lomond.The place was spotless (toilets showers etc) -I have stayed in "hotels" which were much much worse than this YH! Breakfast was great- and although we didn't eat there in the evening we wished we had as the food looked lovely. As previous review stated the bedrooms are basic but were fine for what we wanted-clean warm and comfy beds- this is not supposed to be five star luxury so don't expect that. Value for money is fantastic, wonderful packed lunch also. But best of all for me is the standard of service from the staff who were all friendly, welcoming lovely young people from all over the world. i actually left my jacket at the Lodge and they found it for me, phoned me up to tell me and passed it to the baggage transfer company so I got it back in a day or so-Thanks so much for that! If we are back in that part of Scotland again we will definitely stay at Rowardennan lodge.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean186378
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I have never done hosteling before and after this one I probably won't do any more. My partner and I walked 17 miles in the rain. I found the female on reception quite uninterested and unhelpful. The room was ok for sleeping in. TV didn't work. But my main gripe is the food. We ordered food from the kitchen. It was totally inedible. I had lasagne. Also potatoes which I have never had before with lasagne. It was over cooked and dried up. The "cook" came out and asked if it was ok. I told him. It was awful. As was the pudding. Chocolate, banana and Almond cake. All dried up. I would imagine that the people who frequent the hostel are walkers. After walking all this way you would hope you would have the decency to provide decent food. the shop is too basic to make any substantial meal. You would be better closing the kitchen and expanding the shop.

Room Tip: Don't eat the food that the hostel is cooking
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PADDYMSCOTLAND
Reviewed 15 June 2013

On arriving at the hostel the scenery and hostel itself is stunning from he outside. The public areas are fine, the bed linen and towels are spotlessly clean but the rooms could do with a bit of an update but it is a hostel and not supposed to be 5 star. It's a welcome sight on the West Highland Way.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple