“Only if you've no other choice”
Review of Rowardennan Hotel

Rowardennan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Rowardennan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We were put up here by Wilderness Scotland who arranged our stays for our hike on the West Highland Way. They are stingy on towels; you will find this commonly as facilities try to keep laundry costs down (electricity is really pricey here). The windows were dirty. And no curtains or shades were on the windows. The light in the bathroom went off every 90 seconds or so; that was really annoying while we were showering. You had to wave your arm in a certain spot to get it turned on again. That a particularly irksome feature of our room. And hot and cold water came out of separate faucets at the sink. There is no wifi here despite any claim to the contrary. The food at the restaurant was rather nasty and service was quite slow. Reception was friendly and tried to be helpful. Be prepared to carry your bags up the steps if your room is on the second floor but try to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ydeng1

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed 4 nights in the Luxury Lodge, a bit disappointed. The Lodge was nice but I wouldn't say it was luxurious maybe in its day? We had problems no power and no Sky TV and most of the lamps were missing bulbs. The staff did come up and sorted out the power outage and got some channels working on TV but we was promised the manager would come see us the next day we never saw him.

It's very close for Ben Lomond so for that the location was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Visited for lunch, fantastic prawn cocktail, fresh tasty and good service. Nice main, cooked well was prompt and friendly staff. Great place and a total credit to the tourist trade. Cannot fault it, great service and very friendly, amiable staff.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Hi arrived after long walk. Had to get backs from the shed, was a bit of a pain. Staff were very welcoming I was knackered. Only down side was rein room was below staff door. If manager reads this please try and sort the door as it bangs a lot. If I wasn't so tired it would have bothered me a lot more. Bar staff were pleasant . One member gave me something for my blisters. Our room was really nice beds were like too single too single rooms which was good. Only downside tv didn't work . Could have went down but had no energy. To sum it up . It's was ok place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at the Rowardennon en-route on the West Highland Way, like many others. Since they had a bit of a monopoly, I feel they did not have to try too hard.
The accommodation was adequate but a bit small.
The food was pretty average and not very adventurous and my friend's pasta dish was pretty indelible. Would suggest sticking to the basics, burgers, fish and chips etc.
The welcome at reception was a bit functional too.

Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed here while walking along the WHW. General impression was, they knew there were few alternatives hence did not need to try too hard. I was a bit unlucky with my room. It was clean enough, and well appointed, but it was right next to the staff quarters. I did not appreciate them putting tv on at 6.30am, although it was not too loud. My sleep had already been disturbed by a contant droning coming from outside - part of heating system? Receptionists were fine but bar staff seemed a bit offhand, although maybe I did not share their sense of humour! From the bickering going on outside my room I suspected it was not a very happy place to work. It was probably the worst place of the 9 I stayed while walking the WHW. However I was really lucky with my accomodation on the WHW and certainly did not think this hotel was worth less than 3 stars. Could do better but certainly was not as bad as some here are making out.

Room Tip: As far away as possible from staff quarters!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Very dog friendly and lovely rooms, would have been happy with a less quality room as we arrived with very wet and dirty dogs! Staff sorted a problem with the booking quickly leaving us happy with the arrangements made, food good, bar service good, breakfast great, brilliant location,

Room Tip: All very good
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowardennan
Ardlui Hotel
Winnock Hotel
Winnock Hotel
#1 of 2 in Drymen
Cameron House on Loch Lomond

Been to Rowardennan Hotel? Share your experiences!