“Stunning location- Superb value”
Review of Bay Tarbet Hotel

Bay Tarbet Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarbet
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have
nothing but praise for the value for money that Shearings offer on their weekend deals.
On this occasion we were up for the Commonwealth Games and noticed that this hotel was just outside Glasgow. In hindsight I wished we had stayed here and not been ripped off by the prices Glasgow charged!
The Target is in a lovely location. The reception areas are spacious and clean .The dining was very good,with good choices and excellent service. Jan our waiter deserves mentioning .Charming and attentive.
As mentioned by others ,the rooms are "tired" and the corridors need attention. I would hope Shearings will embark on a rolling programme of improvement.
We experienced one night of entertainment which was good, and included in the price.
What a shame we live so far away! Well done Shearings,we always are pleased with the breaks we book and the Tarbet served you well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 8Bubble
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review

I am glad to read that you find our company and the hotel offers their customers excellent value for money, I could not agree more!!!

I will pass on your lovely comments to all our staff especially Jan, who will be very grateful.

Bay hotels continues to progress with its rolling refurbishment programme and recently we have completed some more work on external works and I know the corridors are showing a little sign of wear and tear, but we will look at that first chance we get.

Thank you for your time and all the best

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Came here with our mother to celebrate her 84th birthday. She loved it. The food was lovely, with some excellent choices. My mother did have a fall due to the unevenness of the flooring on the second floor corridor - however, the manager provided us with a wheelchair for us to use all weekend and all was well. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. The view of the loch from our rooms was stunning. Very clean and spacious rooms. My mother enjoyed the evening entertainment but we found it a bit tired and somewhat patronising at times. The manager surprised us when my husband went to complain about a wasps' nest outside our window. He made a strange comment that he expected us to write a bad review of the hotel as a result of this. We were given another room which was much better. I think the manager should just adopt a more positive attitude - not everyone is quick to find fault. Our overall impression of the hotel was it was clean and comfortable, the food was lovely, the staff were very friendly and it was exceptional good value for money!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank maryann73
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us and found it such excellent value for money.

I hope your mother is feeling better now and I was only to happy to assist in ensuring the comfort of you and your family during your break.

Unfortunately there must have been a miscommunication regarding this comment that was made as I did not make it. The comment was relayed to me from another member of staff who stated that this had been said to them by someone in your party and that a photo of the wasp was going to be put on the internet. Sorry if they picked that up wrong!!!.

I am glad that we were able to ensure that the wasp issue did not effect your holiday and we quickly resolved this.

We hope you will return in the near future

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I stayed Friday to Monday on a self drive. We arrived early so couldn't book in and as the weather was good wandered down to the Loch to look around. We came back at 3pm and were booked in to room 142, which overlooked the car park at the back of the hotel, but also had a good view of the surrounding hills, so we were happy with that. Receptionists were pleasant and explained everything. On arriving in the room we found it clean and quite spacious. However, the bathroom certainly couldn't be called spacious. Sink, toilet and shower cubicle were so close together we hardly had room to manouvre. The toilet roll holder was high up on the wall, so basically you would have to twist round to get at the paper. The toilet seat came off, we put it back on again only for it to come off again, luckily next morning it had been put back by the domestics. There was only one towel rail so to dry the large towels we had to hang them over the door. The shower worked and was hot enough but the showerhead was at an awkward angle. On the plus side the food was good and plentiful and a good choice from the menu. Our waitress was Amy and she was friendly and a very nice girl. As stated in other reviews the drinks in the bar were on the expensive side. Also as stated the floorboards did creak quite a bit but it is a very old building so that is to be expected, but I think the whole building is in need of quite a bit of refurbishment. We have stayed in a number of Shearings hotels and I would say this is not one of our favourites. Yes, the hotel is out of the way but we enjoy walking and walked up to Arochar and then round the Loch to the hills towards "The Cobbler". Sadly we didn't make it to the top as it is a long, long climb and at times very steep, but fantastic views were worth the distance we managed to climb. All in all though, we had a good weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mother51

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad to read that found most aspects of your stay to be enjoyable, I will look into your comments regarding the bathroom issues you had.

As always, we look to improve on our standards and value your business and your constructive criticism. So thank you for that.

We hope you will reconsider and come back to visit us in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have to say finding this hotel was a god send. It is ideally located next to the lochs, and a short boat trip from the West Highland Way trail. Knowing this fact might come in handy to beginners or ,like me, unprepared walkers of the WHW.

It was August last year and a surprisingly hot day. I had travelled with my friends and work colleagues to do part of the WHW. I thought I was doing well, I bought all new gear, boots, bag, jacket, the lot. What I didn't know, is you need to break in the boots or it's like having constant razor blades into your ankles.

We had walked around 10 miles when we got to Rowardennan and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to abandon my friends and set sail, on a gorgeous wee ferry, to tarbet. The ferry ride was about an hour and was very pleasant. This heighten feeling of euphoria might have been increased, as I finally got thos daft boots off my feet. Anyway, I learned about the honeymoon island and listened to some relaxing/cracking scottish choons.

Finally I made it to tarbet, my Dad was coming to save the day and pick me up and I had about an hour to spare before he got there. It was quite quiet, and for a lassie walking about with her scabby feet on show, it was probably a good thing.

I reached the Bay Tarbet Hotel, and everything from its picturesque views, to it's perfectly manicured lawns, put a smile on my moany wee coupon. I went inside and found a lot of very useful tourist information and more importantly, found the lavish ladies toilets.

I don't know how much detail you can take, so I'll be delicate. I stepped foot on the ice cold tiles, which did wonders for my soles. It felt like I had ran a firewalk and these cold tiles were my reward. The toilets were spotless. Plenty of space to sit down and take your time. I have to say, it's been almost a year, and it was by far the best jobby I've done in a long time. Honestly, marvellous. The hand washing facilities were also great. Lovely smelling soap.

Once I had finished up in the toilets. I went out into the lobby to wait for my dad. I had a Hot Chocolate and a nice wee biscuit. Sat on the comfy sofas and read my tourist magazines.

So, although I have never stayed in the hotel, I would recommend the facilities to anyone. If I'm ever up that way, I'll be sure to book myself into a room and test all the facilities the hotel has to offer.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank LindieLaw

Dear Reviewer,

I am glad to read that you found all of the facilities to your liking, even if the details are a wee bit too much!!! lol

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Haste ye back!!!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Today we were travelling home from a brilliant holiday in Ardnamurchan. We left at 6am and had rung to check the hotel served breakfast to non-residents. We were told it was available between 8am and 9am. We arrived at 8.30am, looking forward to our cooked breakfasts. We were finally shown a seat after being kept waiting for about 5 minutes and told to help ourselves to juice and cereals. We had juice and eventually the waitress asked us for a coffee or tea order. My husband and I asked for tea and our daughter asked for peppermint tea, which they had not got, so she asked for anything herbal and was told that she would have to go to the bar (even though it was on the menu). We then ordered 4 full cooked breakfasts, 1 without baked beans, but were not asked what sort of egg we would like. The tea arrived but we had no milk. Ian asked for some but it did not come after a further 10 minutes, so he went and got the jug from the cereal table. The waitress brought 2 slices of toasted bread for the four of us. After about a 40 minutes wait and still no breakfasts, my husband went and asked 2 waitresses if there was a problem in the kitchen and please could we have our breakfasts. We had a 6 hours drive ahead of us and wanted to get on with our meal. Finally the breakfasts arrived, all with fried eggs. No baked beans on one and no hash brown on three of them. My son had about 5 baked beans.

Admittedly, the breakfast is very cheap, but the service was dreadful. We have an annual trip to Scotland and definitely will not make the same mistake of stopping at the Tarbet Hotel next year.

As an aside, I am in a wheelchair and the dining room was down a small flight of stairs. There is a stair lift but we were in a hurry so I had to be helped by my family down and my wheelchair carried. There is a normal lift from the rooms to the ground floor so it did seem a little strange that it did not carry on, especially with the apparent average age and infirmity of the resident clientele.

Room Tip: We only tried breakfast but will not be going back
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LitSmith
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review.

I am disappointed to read that you had some issues with the service during your dining experience with us. I apologise if you did not receive our usual excellent standard of service and I have discussed this with the staff involved to ensure there is action taken where necessary.

I am aware that unfortunately the restaurant was full when you arrived on Sunday, so it did take a few minutes to free up a table as the rest were either booked or in use for residents of the hotel. Every effort was made to ensure you got a table as soon as one was free.

We thank you for your custom and hope you will reconsider your decision and return to visit us again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I have just spent a long weekend at this hotel and were very disappointed with our room - it was very small in fact you could not open the showeroom door fully as it hit the bed, the shower was broken when we checked in and the wash hand basin and the shower tray were filthy, the room (110) was on the main road and the traffic noise was horrendous!
On the plus side the food and service in the dining room were excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure the room does not overlook the main road!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BOB G
Ronnie J, General Manager at Bay Tarbet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for posting your review.

Your very kind comments about the staff and the food will be passed on to the relevant departments, they will be very happy to hear that they impressed.

I am disappointed to read that you did not find the accommodation to your satisfaction, had you have let us know about your concerns at the time we could have looked at alternatives or tried to
remedy the faults that you appeared to have had.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

All round good service and food was good, no complaints here. Well worth a visit if you are in the area, only complaint did not serve to 18:00 on a Saturday.
Food was of a good standard for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fawkirk1

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your eating experience with us, we certainly feel that we provide a good and tasty selection of food here at the Tarbet.

We open from 12pm – 5pm for lunches and 6.30pm for 8pm for evening meals.

We hope to see you again at the Tarbet.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbet
Arrochar Hotel
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to Bay Tarbet Hotel? Share your experiences!