A group of 10 of us recently booked this site for 3 nights at the end of May.
We chose it primarily for its location as most of the group were walking the West Highland Way from Milngavie to Fort William and this seemed like a good base for the middle sections of the walk(we had a 17 seat minibus for transporting walkers to and from each day’s walks).
We arrived around mid-afternoon after a very long and hot day packing up all our kit from our previous campsite and received a really warm welcome. We originally booked (and paid a very small deposit) for 12 people and 3 large pitches but ended up with 10 people due to family bereavement and needed 1 large and 2 smaller pitches. No problem whatsoever – we had previously agreed on a flat rate per person per night and that is exactly what we paid.
The site is very neatly landscaped and backed by a wooded area and a small river. It is adjacent to the main road (A82) and the railway but neither of these were busy enough to cause us any disturbance.
All the facilities of Tyndrum were just a couple of minutes’ walk away. It is only a tiny place but it does pack in an award winning fish and chip shop, a Visit Scotland centre, a petrol station, two railway stations (for Oban and Glasgow/Fort William), two good shops and a pub serving reasonable food. There were a couple of other pubs and a small supermarket 10 minutes down the road in Crianlarich - another tiny place despite virtually every road sign in Scotland pointing towards it! It is worth noting that there are virtually no other facilities for many miles in any direction.
We were allocated 3 spacious pitches adjacent to the shower block and the warden could not have been more helpful e.g there was a wooden shelter with a 6 seat picnic table for outdoor eating next to our tents – without us saying a word he turned up with another table so that our whole party could eat together.
This was just one of so many nice touches that really made us feel welcome :
• The well fitted out laundry even had a rotary clothes line with pegs supplied. Need some more pegs? Just ask.
• There were purpose built barbeque stands dotted around the site that were free to use.
• The warden provided hot bacon rolls for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch at ridiculously cheap prices – all delivered to our tents at whatever time we wanted.
• The loos and showers were immaculate and kept scrupulously clean at all times. Hair dryers were supplied free of charge.
• There was an unfortunate incident one night -a group in a nearby tent had rather too much to drink and caused quite a disturbance. First thing the following morning – before we even had chance to mention it – the offending group were told to pack up and go immediately (and the mess they left behind was cleared up in minutes).
We were so pleased with the site that we extended our stay by 2 further nights –our original plan was to move to Fort William, 45 miles away, but the driving to and from each section of the walk was very easy and it did not make sense to go to all the trouble of moving all our stuff again.
Wanting to make an early start for our 500+ mile drive home we enquired about using the small log cabins on site for our final night – the idea being to load up all the tents and equipment the evening before. No problem - for just £1 per person extra they let us have 3 cabins and I have to say they were excellent value for money. The cabins looked virtually new and had electric light and heating, an electric kettle and comfortable beds – they were also well insulated so I reckon they would even be very comfortable during the colder months. We all agreed that, had we known these cabins were so comfortable we would not have bothered with the tents at all!
To summarise a fantastically neat and tidy site with good facilities close at hand, excellent customer service and a good base for the second half of the WHW.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned by enthusiastic caravanners this site has been designed to incorporate the best features of the sites we have visited in our years of touring. Situated in Tyndrum on the West highland Way, we are surrounded by some of the most stunning scenery Scotland has to offer. Close by is the bustling town of Oban(40 minutes), so whether it is peace and quiet or or something more adventurous you are looking for Pine Trees Leisure Park is ideally suited. We are children and Pet friendly and our ethos is always to put you first. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Pine Trees Leisure Park Tyndrum, Scotland