“Very friendly, very basic”
Review of The Tyndrum Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tyndrum
The Tyndrum Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tyndrum
Mettmenstetten, Switzerland
“Very friendly, very basic”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at the Tyndrum Inn twice in the space of a couple of days. Once in a double room and once in a single.

Now, with the more positive points. The restaurant and bar are quite nice, welcoming places with friendly and helpful staff, good food and alcohol. If I had to guess, most of the money goes into the restaurant and bar and not much flows into the hotel side of things.

The rooms are really baren, the bathrooms are completely retrofitted in a not very professional manner and there's just barely enough room to get around in them. I'm not tall but when I got in the shower I basically had to bend over to shower. Also, the drain was more in name than function. Unfortunately, they also don't seem to have a room to store bike of which there are many as it's the Highlands and a lot of people like to ride their bikes there.

The positive... well, it's one of the few Inns in a very small town on the West Highland Way. They probably charge a bit more just for that. One of the staff offered his lock to me so I could lock my bike outside in a 'kind of hidden' area. As I said, the staff is super friendly. Again, food was quite good.

Would I stay there again? Possibly as it's one of the only games in town other than a couple of camping areas and a Lodge that seems to be constantly full.

It's really close to both of the train stations in Tyndrum and next to the Green Welly Store (gas station and store) as well as the long-term parking area for the outdoors crowd. Location-wise, you can't do much better.

Room Tip: Ask for an en Suite bathroom? I really can't tell you much.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hebrew first
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked two rooms for three of us. The rooms were OK, the meal in the bar was OK, the breakfast was quite good, the staff were quite friendly.

The whole place seems a bit run down, but in an OK way!

No wifi in bedrooms.

We didn't book in advance. It was a Bank Holiday Sunday. We were glad to find somewhere to stay and to eat.

I'd keep this place in mind if I needed ta bed for the night, but I'd hope to find somewhere a little bit nicer next time. But I wouldn't put anyone off this place - don't expect anything special though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Notodden, Norway
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Tried to get a room higher up in the mountains, but they were fully booked. On our way down towards loch lomond we stopped and managed to get a double room for 80 pound. That is ok, but the rooms made me sad, cause I had bigger expectations for our stay in the Highland. It is smelly, not clean and very sad. The dinner was ok, breakfast was simple. Staff was nice. Sorry, gonna make sure to book better in advance next time.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tommy F

Travellers are raving about these Tyndrum hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here on the west highland way trek, its a large hotel which I understand is being modernised bit by bit, our room was very new and very clean with a good shower, that said it was a little small. The staff were warm and friendly and helped us to our room with our bags. The food was good in the evening and a great breakfast to send us on our way the next day

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bornagainteenager
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Very quick service, prices very reasonable, food very tasty (especially the fish), good atmosphere in the bar. Nothing fancy- just good pub grub in a friendly atmosphere. Appeared to be popular with hikers, bikers & campers

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank eddie m
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

In contrast to everywhere else we overnighted on the West Highland Way, this place was indescribably bad in every respect. Under new owners who have apparently done a lot of work on the place, it is hard to imagine how bad it must have been before they started. It's a 70's Artex palace refreshed with brown and purple emulsion. That's the good bit. The room was decrepit, worn, cramped and dirty. The ensuite was ridiculous, with a shower cubicle bodged together using wall boards and a salvaged shower door that left only enough room to squeeze into the toilet side ways. Peeling our feet off the matted carpets was an additional treat.
Dinner was OK. Breakfast however, set new culinary lows in our experience. Scrambled eggs and toast shouldn't be a challenge, but crumbs of greenish yellow rubber served on warm bread was what was presented to us by a child who looked bemused and confused by the experience. Left it, packed our bags and got out as quickly as we could.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ADGL1604
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Myself and my partner ended up here after looking for someplace to eat for dinner and we were not disappointed.

The bar areas was busy but the very friendly barman made sure he got our order. I ordered the fish with chips, mushy peas and tartar sauce while my partner had the homemade steak pie with chips and mixed vegetables.

We didn't have to wait long for our food, great portion sizes, it smelt and tasted amazing. I still cant believe how thick the chips were, loved them.

We didn't stay for seconds as we were full up but I wish I did, the dark chocolate and orange dessert is still calling to me now.

Great food, great prices, lovely staff so I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Magicmespecial
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyndrum
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#6 of 7 in Tyndrum
Ben Doran Hotel
Ben Doran Hotel
#3 of 7 in Tyndrum

Been to The Tyndrum Inn? Share your experiences!