“Friendly & welcoming inn”
Review of The Tyndrum Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tyndrum
The Tyndrum Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tyndrum
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Friendly & welcoming inn”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Tyndrum Inn last weekend and used it as a base for our annual car club meeting. We had one of the newly refurbished rooms, which was clean and spacious with a large modern bathroom. Some of my friends had rooms which hadn't been refurbished yet, but the new owners (Jennifer & Andy) are working their way through them all.

We first went to see the Tyndrum Inn much earlier in the year, when the refurbishement had just started and we were prettty amazed that so much has been done in a few months.

On the Saturday evening, we had over 50 people for dinner and were given the run of the newly refurbished restaurant. They set it up just as we asked for and couldn't have been more helpful. And the food from a special 'set' menu (3 choices per course) was very good indeed.

The night before, we ate less formally in the bar, with our friends arriving throughout the night. Although it was really busy, the service was good and the food was very enjoyable.

To sum up, this is not a 5-star hotel that some of the reviewers seem to be expecting, but an inn that is being renovated by its new owners. It's friendly with decent food and drink and is not expensive. And they made our stay very pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room just now, until they've all been completed.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank James G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Passing through Sunday evening on a small 4 day tour round the west Coast, Saw this restaurant lot of parking available for our motorhome , Alarm bells should have rang when we heard someone at the next table complaining about his steak .... Quote " Don,t know which part of the cow that is from but it is inedible" So needless to say we did not order any Steaks, I had the Tyndrum Chicken which come with a whiskey sauce and mash... The chicken was overcooked to the extent the edges were hard and the rest of it was dry and totally inedible , The mash had hard bits of uncooked potato in it , I did complain and all i got was an apology .. no offer of a refund or reduction and it was obvious i had eaten almost nothing from the plate . Will never be back. They probably get lots of tourists and dont have to try very hard to get business.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scottish M

Travellers are raving about these Tyndrum hotels

The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I arrived here walking WHW and needed a place to sleep.

A lot if refurbishment going on during the day but, as I was tired, I needed an accommodation anyway.

Very old fashioned / run-down place. Reminded me about some cheapy hotels in Latin America which I visited while backpacking long ago. Even the shower water was heated by the electrical heaters.

Being tired myself of walking, I slept quite well after having good food at another restaurant in town.

Breakfast was really bad. Seemed (and tasted) as like it had been prepared the night before. Only fried egg was possibly freshly fried that morning.

Happy to check out. Next time I must certainly do better advance preparations when landing in Tyndrum.

Maybe the refurbishment will give more quality and energy to this place in due time?

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank poortje
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Tyndrum Inn for 1 night while walking the West Highland Way. When you first walk up to the Tyndrum Inn it looks OK, but its horrendous and should be avoided at all cost.
The staff were friendly and welcoming and the bed linen was clean and fresh. But these positives were hugely outweighed by the downsides.
The Tyndrum is a 1970's "sports bar" that has had very little money spent on it. The room was very dated, there was a sink in one corner then the ensuite was in the opposite corner without a wash bowl! The fan in the ensuite did not work, the shower head dated from the 1970's and did not match the shower. The main light bulb just flickered continuously and could not be used, of the 2 wall lights above the bed one did not work and the other turned itself off and back on again all by itself. Some of the wallpaper was coming away from the wall due to damp and the light coloured carpet was covered with stains.
We unfortunately had an evening meal in the bar, what a mistake, it was disgusting. My chicken curry looked like sick in a bowl. If you can imagine a very thick white sauce, sprinkle in a bit of cheap curry powder, rough chop a mushroom and add some diced chicken then serve!!
At £80 per night for a double room the price is a rip off, if they were only charging £40-50 then you would know to expect a bit of a dive.
Stay here at your own risk, I won't be giving them any more of my money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajmax2014
Widen, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at the Tyndrum Inn twice in the space of a couple of days. Once in a double room and once in a single.

Now, with the more positive points. The restaurant and bar are quite nice, welcoming places with friendly and helpful staff, good food and alcohol. If I had to guess, most of the money goes into the restaurant and bar and not much flows into the hotel side of things.

The rooms are really baren, the bathrooms are completely retrofitted in a not very professional manner and there's just barely enough room to get around in them. I'm not tall but when I got in the shower I basically had to bend over to shower. Also, the drain was more in name than function. Unfortunately, they also don't seem to have a room to store bike of which there are many as it's the Highlands and a lot of people like to ride their bikes there.

The positive... well, it's one of the few Inns in a very small town on the West Highland Way. They probably charge a bit more just for that. One of the staff offered his lock to me so I could lock my bike outside in a 'kind of hidden' area. As I said, the staff is super friendly. Again, food was quite good.

Would I stay there again? Possibly as it's one of the only games in town other than a couple of camping areas and a Lodge that seems to be constantly full.

It's really close to both of the train stations in Tyndrum and next to the Green Welly Store (gas station and store) as well as the long-term parking area for the outdoors crowd. Location-wise, you can't do much better.

Room Tip: Ask for an en Suite bathroom? I really can't tell you much.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked two rooms for three of us. The rooms were OK, the meal in the bar was OK, the breakfast was quite good, the staff were quite friendly.

The whole place seems a bit run down, but in an OK way!

No wifi in bedrooms.

We didn't book in advance. It was a Bank Holiday Sunday. We were glad to find somewhere to stay and to eat.

I'd keep this place in mind if I needed ta bed for the night, but I'd hope to find somewhere a little bit nicer next time. But I wouldn't put anyone off this place - don't expect anything special though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Notodden, Norway
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Tried to get a room higher up in the mountains, but they were fully booked. On our way down towards loch lomond we stopped and managed to get a double room for 80 pound. That is ok, but the rooms made me sad, cause I had bigger expectations for our stay in the Highland. It is smelly, not clean and very sad. The dinner was ok, breakfast was simple. Staff was nice. Sorry, gonna make sure to book better in advance next time.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tommy F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tyndrum
Best Western The Crianlarich Hotel
#4 of 6 in Arrochar
Muthu Ben Doran Hotel
Muthu Ben Doran Hotel
#3 of 7 in Tyndrum

Been to The Tyndrum Inn? Share your experiences!