“Very good cafeteria-style lunch stop en route to Glasgow with friendly service”

Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Tyndrum
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Diner, Scottish
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A family business which was established in 1965, and has grown over the years to what it is now, a stop off on the West of Scotland. Retail shops include gifts, whisky, outdoor clothing and a Filling Station which has a diverse stock ranging from groceries to waterproofs along with the usual petrol station stock. We have two food areas: the main self-service Restaurant, and the Snack Stop. Both food areas provide home made foods,and where possible locally sourced ingredients. Our specialities includes our home made soups, home baking and comfort food. Nothing fancy, just made on the premises and as wholesome as possible. Our ethos since the late 1970's has been and still is 'Good Food Fine Shopping'. Our toilets are pretty good too.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

We stopped here in our way to Glasgow and were happy with the variety of food on offer in a cafeteria/self service style environment. The food was perfectly fine and the staff friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my salad and the kids liked their soup and toasties. I have become somewhat of a fan of scones with jam and cream during this trip and the one on offer here is adequate (but not amazing - I should have saved myself!). As we travel over Scotland I find myself falling harder for this breathtakingly beautiful country and its warm, friendly people.

Fiona R, Owner at The Green Welly Stop, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will make sure that your comments about our cream scones are passed on to our team, we might just have to sample one just to check! Sorry it didn't meet your expectations! So lovely to hear of my team being friendly and helpful.

All comments are shared with our team, we appreciate all feedback and try to learn from it. So glad to hear that you are enjoying our country.... it is a very special place, isn't it.

May your search for your amazing cream scones continue!

Kind regards,

Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
“Wish we had continued on.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I've stopped here many times in the past and have always enjoyed the 'Cullen Skink'. On this stop(6.7.13), I ordered the skink again along with fish and chips as did my wife. The skink didn't fail to please but as for the fish & chips. Rubbish, absolute rubbish. The quality of the fish was poor and tasteless and whilst mine was cooked, unfortunately my wife's wasn't. The 'home made' chips were not home made and were reminiscent of Brakes/3663.
The complaint made to a member of staff was promptly and very efficiently dealt with but we did leave the 'stop' wishing we had carried on north.

Fiona R, Owner at The Green Welly Stop, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to comment when you visited. It is always easier to deal with feedback on a face to face basis. Your comments are being discussed with our management team.

Your comments about the quality of the fish have been taken on board and we were disappointed that you felt the chips were 'bought in'. They are prepared, par cooked / cooked on the premises, they are not supplied to us by anyone else. We will of course be examining the quality of cooking of the potatoes / chips and also examining the quality of the fish following your feedback.

We are glad that at least the cullen skink was up to its usual standard and our team members dealt with your complaint efficiently. We hope that this bad experience doesn't put you off visiting in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

The Green Welly Stop
“I'm giving you my custom....I don't expect rudeness in return!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

I have been staying in tyndrum and decided to buy some gifts for family at the green welly stop! Over the years I have spent a lot of money here as I love the quality of gifts etc you stock. Yesterday I spent over £100 on gifts and asked the sour faced foreign assistant if I could get a couple of extra green welly stop bags to put different family members gifts in. Well the dirty look I got was a disgrace. You would think I'd asked her to lick my feet!! She then promptly flung my purchases into a non branded bag and tossed a couple of other non branded bags in. I had bought a fragile glass and asked for it to be wrapped and the look and tut I got in return made me want to walk out. I'm giving you my custom. I expect to be treated with respect. My children also spent £120 between them in your shop and with out customers like us your shop wouldn't exist. So I hope you deal with the foreign girl who is tall, slim with long black hair in the manner she deserves!! She was working in the gift shop at the back of your store. Was it really that bad I asked for a couple of green welly stop bags??

Fiona R, Owner at The Green Welly Stop, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Hello,

I am completely and utterly appalled that any of my staff would behave in such a manner. Please rest assured that this will be dealt with appropriately. All our team are trained in Customer Service and I can assure you this is not acceptable behaviour. We will be re-training the member of staff in question.

I thank you though for your positive comments about our shops; and apologise for the shoddy service that you have received. I will be making sure your comments are shared with the staff member in question and is dealt with by our management team.

Fiona Robertson
“Good soup! Lots to look at!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

This place is amazingly busy during the summer due to all the tour buses stopping here, but if you don't mind the hoards and want to break up your trip it may suit your needs. There are lots of things to check out and purchase, from higher end willies and jackets to notso high end. Great but expensive array of whiskeys. Cafeteria style restaurant, with trays and such but the soup we had was good. If your want a less commercial stop, stop at the Bridges of Orkey Inn.

Visited May 2013
Fiona R, Owner at The Green Welly Stop, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Hello,

Thank you for writing a review. Yes, we do get very busy with all sorts of travellers. We are not able to compete with whisky prices in comparison to the selection that you find in supermarkets, however, we know our whisky prices in general are very good, particularly for our special offers and specialist whiskies.

We may seem to some to be 'commercial', however, we have been trading as a family in the village for 48 years and have adapted our business to suit all-comers! We constantly change our stock in our shops every year to try to find a good balance.

Bangkok, Thailand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tourist Supermarket”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Have everything you may need as a tourist but watch the price! It's absolutely good stuff for sure but it's quite expensive.

Visited August 2012
Fiona R, Owner at The Green Welly Stop, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

We are disappointed that you find we are expensive, but glad you appreciate it's good stuff!