“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #4 of 9 Duns B&B and Inns
Middleham, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

With my friends Ian,John.Paul,and sadly the late Dave have stayed at Ravelaw twice when watching the Jim Clark Rally always a great welcome from Rosemary. Very helpful and understanding in our needs early starts and late returns.Rooms are immaculate and in keeping with this lovely old house.Hope to stay again in 2014 and looking forward to it. (Ken.)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chorley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Made to feel welcome from start to finish. Helpful. Great breakfast of fresh fruit followed by full Scottish fry up and fresh coffee. Rooms well appointed and very comfortable. Lounge area spacious. Garden seating area out side well maintained

• Stayed July 2013
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

A wonderful welcome awaits you at Ravelaw. My stay was to accommodate me on the night before and after our wedding. Rosemary made both myself and my best man and his wife feel very welcome. The rooms we occupied were immaculate, both looking out onto rolling Borders' countryside. On the morning after our wedding, Rosemary served us with a bottle of fizz to help us celebrate with our excellent Scottish breakfast, which was a lovely, and very thoughtful touch. Ravelaw comes highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bucks
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at this B&B for a wedding at Wedderburn Castle in September of last year.

We stayed for 2 nights and were quite late in the evening on the Friday arriving, but we were welcomed warmly and shown to a large, well furnished room with en suite.

Both my husband and I commented that the whole stay was like staying at someone's home, rather than a B&B. It was incredibly quiet and relaxing, and the views were spectacular.

Be aware, though, that the postcode on the website isn't necessarily helpful from a GPS perspective. In fact, we got a train to Berwick upon Tweed and got a taxi from there to the B&B and the taxi driver got lost. He switched off the meter at £29 until he knew where he was!

It is a great location for weddings at the castle, though - but make sure you book your taxis well in advance! It proved a bit of a problem for other guests getting taxis after the wedding because there aren't many taxi firms locally.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsBernie
Scotland
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Hi,
I visited this B & B recently on a work trip and found it to be delightful, lovely and very relaxing.
I will certainly go back if I am ever in that area again and I would highly recommend it.
The room I was in was a double with an en suite shower room.
The internet facility/signal in the room was not excellent, but possibly it may have been better if I had gone to the lounge but I was too tired from work to try.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Rosemary our host was extremely personable and helpful. Nice breakfast selection served in victorian style dining room. Rooms spacious and comfortable with lovely views of the countryside and complete with tv, internet, mini fridge and kettle including supplies for tea making. As a single, I stayed in the room with the bathroom across the hall. Everything you could possibly need from a clawfoot tub, separate shower, heated towel rack with lots of bath products to choose from. Convenient to Berwick and other nearby villages. Rosemary was quite knowledgeable of the area golf courses, local pubs etc. I would recommend this location if you are looking for something quiet and tranquil and off the beaten path. You will be well looked after.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Biddulph, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My partner and I stayed in this delightful B+B when visiting my partner's brother last year. We had previously stayed in the local Travelodge and could not bear to repeat the experience. The house is absolutely stunning and it is set within gorgeous countryside, while still being accessible to the various towns and villages.
The lady who owns the B+B is very friendly and keeps the place in an immaculate condition. The room we had was off the stunning landing and towards the front of the house. It was pretty and comfortable with a lovely en-suite bathroom attached. There is a large, comfortable guest lounge downstairs, which was a pleasure to sit in following our evening meal at one of the local pubs.
The breakfast buffet had a good selection and, if required, was followed by a full Scottish breakfast. The only downside for us, and the reason I didn't give five stars, was the fact that the breakfast was served around a large family dining table. We were actually lucky on both mornings as we were joined by a very friendly elderly gentleman who we chatted away to. However, there was, of course, the possibility of any other guests not being as friendly, as has sometimes happened elsewhere, and then the atmosphere can be decidedly awkward. Whilst we were there the lady also had her youngish grandson staying and he proceeded to stare round the door at us all as we ate and, after a while, ran round and round the table,while his grandmother looked on proudly. Now I know grandparents can be very doting but surely there is a time and place for certain things. However, on the whole, a lovely place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duns
Tillmouth Park Country House Hotel
Tillmouth Park Country House Hot...
#1 of 2 in Cornhill-on-Tweed
#8 of 9 in Duns
Wheatsheaf Hotel
Wheatsheaf Hotel
#1 of 2 in Swinton

Been to Ravelaw? Share your experiences!