“worst B&B ever...”

Green Hope Guest House
Ranked #1 of 9 Duns B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I have seen some B&B's, but this one is definitely the one not to go!
Make sure your SatNav is working with post codes as you will have to spent some time finding the location with only address indication.
The room we stayed in was very small -family room!. Parents bed standing next to the wall, so that you would have had to crawl over to the other side.
The bed was literally a plank with a very dusty tired thin mattress. After a long days travel not what you need to have a good nights sleep.
The second bed had tired squeaky springs dating back to the 60s at least. Dusty as well. Every movement was to be noisy.
The floor carpet was dusty and we struggled all night long with dust allergy symptoms.
We were allowed to used the kitchen, which upfront I thought wonderful -
BUT.. the cutlery and plates were not cleaned to the standards I'm used to, so I had to wash everything again. The kettle was dark brown inside, I do not know the color of the water, couldn't see it. The toaster had seen cleaner days, I do hope so. The table we should eat on was sticky - could not be asked to eat on that.
We did not have a good feeling at breakfast the other morning, as we thought that the cleanliness of the main kitchen would be similar. Cups with stains and tea spoons with rest of sugar in were served up. I could not drink the tea as my stomach was revolting.
The furniture looked like auction hall sale out of the late 60s/70s. No feel to it at all.
To end this awkward stay, as I was about to leave and pay, the owner told me that they made a mistake and had debited my account already 10 days before my arrival, although I had booked with booking.com and could have cancelled up to 2 days before arrival date.
They would NOT have told me as I arrived, but waited until billing time.
I would NOT recommend this place, unless you love to stay in a very basic B&B in the woods, in a far far away land.....

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Searchlight78
GreenHope, Owner at Green Hope Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

We are astonished at this review, and are greatly saddened by the thought that we have such a disappointed customer. This guest made only one complaint, on departure, namely that we had charged her card for her stay prior to arrival. This was a mistake on our part as we had misread her arrival date, (the 8th instead of the 18th) for which we apologised. It is NOT our policy to deduct the cost of stay prior to arrival.
Detailed directions, and postcode, are posted on the web site, along with photographs, from which it is clear that we are out in the countryside, a feature our guests appreciate. We do recommend that guests bring these directions with them on their first visit.
We take our guest reviews very seriously, but can hardly believe this review relates to Green Hope.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

Its just like the other reviews say... Very friendly, great breakfast, fab location.
Peaceful, peaceful, .... my only Criticism being the bed in the Robin room being very hard (its a personal thing I know and probably hard mattress is good for the back)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank yeah009
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We just completed a 4-night stay with Alison and Bill at Green Hope. Fantastic location, great hosts, easy and comfortable accommodation. What one looks for in a great B&B (or at least what we look for) is an interesting location, hosts who are there when you need them (but not there when you want to be on your own), clean quarters, working amenities, information and recommendations, and a great breakfast. Green Hope is about as good as they come! Their physical location on the White Adder River is beautiful, peaceful, and absolutely isolated (but not lonely). I just wish I had my fishing rod! The general location is great for touring the eastern borders area, with easy day trips out in all 4 compass directions with lots and lots to do and see. Bill and Alison leave you alone, other than popping in once or twice to make sure all is well and, of course, providing a terrific breakfast. The rooms are clean and well set up, bathrooms fine, and both touched up daily so you do feel cared for. The lounge is terrific and spacious and a good place to touch base with other guests over breakfast or last thing at night. Lots of good places to eat locally, and lots of good local information. Nice get away place and reasonable rates. Well worth the visit!

Room Tip: The river suite (which we did not have) looks really good if you want to self-cater, like a little e...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Excellent quality in beautiful house. Welcoming tea and cakes. Evening meal was superb.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alan T
Reviewed 24 May 2012

First ever visit to Scotland. Alison and Bill mayed you feel Welcomed. I stayed in in the River suite which was clean and tidy.The drive up to the Guest House was scenic following the river and tree line.Something you will not forget
Peaceful, Quite, lovely walks excellent running trails,Fantastic views.
Need to travel by car to the local town of Dunes which is worth a visit.
Internet access at Green Hope. No mobile phone connection (excellent for me).
Overall if you could take a Piece of Scotland home with you Green Hope is it.
Ideal getaway

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed with Bill & Alison for two nights as we were attending a wedding nearby. They were great at providing information about the local area, booked us a place to eat and were very hospitable. We had two rooms both of which were immaculate. They have a great lounge area with a TV and Wifi that guests are welcome to use, as well as a kitchen with tea/coffee/biscuits etc.

The river setting is beautiful and we enjoyed the peace and serenity!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ttwoshoes
Reviewed 5 April 2012

While working in the area we had been booked into Green Hope knowing it would be quiet.

Myself and the 2 lads with me couldn't have been further from our work when we returned each night with the setting and the Warm Welcome we received from Allison and Bill, SUPERB!!

If you like to get out and stretch your legs then this is the place to do it, there's a couple of hidden Treasures on the path to the back of the house and the scenery will reward you! The wee place is just Class. I don't think we will find a place like it for a while.

Like I mentioned, Work didn't feel like Work while we stayed here and that made such a difference to our 5 nights stay.

The Food, the Accommodation, the Welcome, the Scenery. . . . . I could go on.

If your in the Duns area, you MUST stay here.

Manus Connor,
Mannor Construction Limited.

Room Tip: The rooms are very comfortable and we had a great Sleep, but anyone who doesn't sleep easy here...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Manus C
Bill L, Owner at Green Hope Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

We remember Manus and the boys really well and so enjoyed having them here. Like having family staying - thoroughly hard workers and a pleasure to take care off! Alison and Bill