“Delicious”

Ranked #6 of 32 Restaurants in Eyemouth
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Superb fish and chips
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My five year old and I are connoisseurs of fish and chips, the hubby can take or leave them but ALL three of us enjoyed our food, we had two regular batter haddock and chips between the three of us which cost £13. There was more than enough food for the three of us, everything was freshly cooked there and then. It is very easy to get fish and chips wrong but when done right it is great and our food was just that. The five year old enjoyed his so much it was the first thing he told his nanny about when we called home. Oh and if you sit on the tables and chairs outside you can see the sea, fab !!!!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Award winning!! The best in borders etc etc, really not the case, firstly the service!! Customer service is not high on their list, the way they spoke to me as a customer!! The food awful! A really poor experience poor show!!

4  Thank Mikeybhoy25
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My family and i were staying at crosslaw caravan park in coldingham and decide to go to eyemouth for something to eat we decided on this fish and chip shop as it had won awards so we thought it must be good. However we were disappointed. My mother in law asked if they served tea which was a reasonable question as you can sit in and where we come from our chip shop sells tea. The female member of staff was very rude and abrupt with her answer and she was clearly in a bad mood and does not enjoy her job. we then asked if we could have our tea whilst we were waiting on our food and again she was very rude and abrupt telly us no we could not we would get our tea when the chips were ready. In the end we got our food and left. There was no need for the way we were spoken to. If the woman is that unhappy in her in job then maybe she should think about a career change, she has just lost this shop customers as we will certainly not be back. some training in customer relations and services definately needed

6  Thank sam m
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We've been using this chip shop for the past 15 years as we own a caravan nearby. In the past we could never wait for our fish and chips from here as it was top class both in the restaurant and as a takeaway. However we no longer sit in as the price they charge for a plate of fish and chips is now horrendous. So I cannot comment on the quality served in the restaurant although I imagine they will serve the best to customers sitting in. As for the takeaway - absolutely awful. For the past few months EVERY fish we have had has been swimming in grease and the chips full of bad bits of potato. We kept going back however thinking surely it must be better, but after last weekend we will NEVER be back. We had our family out to visit so we all had a takeaway. We could not believe the amount of bad potato. Almost every chip all black bits - I really wish now that I had taken a photo and had time to take the lot back. The fish was dripping in grease. We just tried to eat the good bits of the chips but both my husband and daughter were both very sick later. I know we can't say for definite it was the fish and chips that caused it but they both had the same. I take it the staff must have changed as we can't believe this is the same place that won awards which at the time were deserved. I decided against going in to complain as I believe the staff wouldn't care anyway. We'll just go to the chip shop down at the harbour in future. On a lighter note my other daughter and partner enjoyed the pizza that they had. However we do feel that we have lost the chip shop that we loved for years. Other people at our caravan site have said the same and won't be back either.

4  Thank hezzy
Joanne P, Owner at Mackays of Eyemouth, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

I am absolutely devastated to read your review. I am also disappointed to learn that you never got in touch with us so that we could rectify the situation for you. I would like you to give me the chance by emailing me at joanne@mackaysofeyemouth.co.uk

Reviewed 1 July 2014

What can I say? Excellent. The waitress was so nice and pleasent. Crab sandwches were really nice and I was expecting a couple of sandwiches but got served four with salad and crisps. Had a side order of chips which were spot on.

Many thanks for your great review. Hope to see you again soon.