“Too tough for mid to high handicaps”
Review of Eyemouth Golf Club

Eyemouth Golf Club
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Eyemouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Eyemouth Golf Club. While you are in the Berwickshire area why not try this "hidden gem" of Scottish golf? The challenging 18 hole cliff top links is an enjoyable test of golf and includes the famous 6th hole voted 'Britain's No 1 Most Extraordinary Golf Hole'and now selected as one of the top 18 holes in Scotland. We also boast 'The Hawkness Monster'Scotland's longest hole at 656 yards when played from the tiger tee. Eyemouth Golf Club perched on the top of Gunsgreen Hill, provides spectacular views over Eyemouth and the rugged East Berwickshire coastline. This cliff-top links course is the only seaside course in the Borders and generally open for a full round of golf virtually every day of the year. Key Features:18 Holes, Cliff-top Links, Par 72, 6404 Yards, SSS:72, Buggy Hire.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have played the course a few times and enjoyed it. This time, as always, I didn't split every fairway with my tee shot. It was difficult to find my ball even when it was just a few feet off the fairway. The semi rough seemed much longer than I remembered. Because of its length and the fact that it was raining it was very difficult to advance the ball any distance. It was less enjoyable than previous visits and may influence my decision to return.

1  Thank JeffAbbott
Mel L, Captain at Eyemouth Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Jeff
Sorry you found it too tough! I suspect the inclement weather had much to do with your experience and there is not much we can do to control that. We now have a new Head Greenkeeper, who has only been in place for 6 weeks and it is his philosophy to create a visitor friendly golf course which has already resulted in a lot of the previous deep rough being removed. We want visitors to get around the golf course in less than 4 hours and in the process to lose as few, if any, balls as possible.
I hope you do give the course another visit in the next few months to witness the difference.
Mel Lockett
Club Captain.

There are newer reviews for Eyemouth Golf Club

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Bayview restaurant is well named and highly recommended by locals and now by my wife and I. We were thrilled at the Sunday lunch experience - first class starters and handsome desserts (home made mostly i gather). The location overlooking the sea, golf course and town is stunning. Service is fabulous and on this first visit we were made to feel like old friends. And the selection and presentation of seafood mains exceeded all expectations.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Cannot believe that this course is not much better known. Being a golf geek, Eyemouth has been on my radar for a long time, mainly because of the iconic 6th and the 13th (Scotland's longest golf hole).
But this doesn't begin to tell the story. From the friendly pro, to the members and the bar staff, everyone was very welcoming. My 17 year old daughter who has only been playing golf (intermittently) for a couple of years said that she was really put at ease...and then proceeded to play the best golf ever.
As for me, I've never had so much fun on a golf course (helped no doubt by the fabulous weather). after a quiet starting couple of holes to get you into your round, you're faced with a par 3 over a pond. A dog leg par 4 follows before you cross the road into the larger portion of the course. A fairly straight forward par 4 5th hole...then the fun begins. The amazing par 3 6th over the North Sea. This is the start of a run of 11 holes that is as good as I've had the privilege to play...Anywhere! Before the road is crossed again and the round concludes with 2 relatively easier holes before retiring to the clubhouse.
Great views, great golf, great hospitality...this club deserves to be "much" better known. Thanks guys, we will be back!
I have reviewed the Bayview restaurant separately as this (as in common with many golf clubs) is a separate business run by independent owners.

1  Thank davidneil
Mel L, Club Captain at Eyemouth Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

David
Thanks for your kind comments about Eyemouth Golf Club. We are pleased you enjoyed your day and our remarkable golf course. Your comments back up an award we have just won. The Scottish Borders 'Freedom of the Fairways' golfers have voted Eyemouth the Friendliest 18 Hole Club in the Borders for 2013.
We are trying hard not to be a hidden gem!! We prefer other golfers to know about us.
Please spread the word to you friends.
Mel Lockett
Club captain.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This golf club not only has stunning views but it has a great variety of fish and seafood. The service is friendly and prompt and great value for money

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Played in medal comp. Right from moment we walked in pro shop treated like royalty. Brilliant pro, well stocked shop friendly, smiled when he took my money heheh. Nothing any bother, answered all my questions.
Went upstairs for meal and drink. The first thing that meets you is the fantastic views, no matter which window you look out of it takes your breath away I won't spoil it for you but it's well worth the visit just for that. Pelenty of choice of pop etc at bar lovely staff that we met.
The food is delightful and would recommend the minty lamb steak nice big steak fresh veg cooked smashing. We look forward to next visit.
Come have a look.
My claim to game is that I pared the 6 th hole, what a beauty off the whites you can stand there all day and admire the view.
I would like to mention the green staff who presented a marvelous course thanks

Mel L, Club Captain at Eyemouth Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thanks for the vivid description. It says it all. I assume you are referring to the course and extreme wind conditions for our Winter Festival w/e. We had over 260 golfer play over the w/e and Eyemouth was at its very hardest. Only one golfer played a par round, 36 points in the Sat Stableford.
Had you played on any day the week before or on the Monday after you would have found entirely different and much friendlier conditions.