“Does not live up to the standards expected of a 4 star hotel!”

Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in St Boswells
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding - which was being held at the hotel.

The room was - at best - dated. The bathroom was already an insect graveyard when we checked in!

Room service was prompt and the food we ordered was good and well presented.

During the wedding the function bar service was awful, with two fairly disinterested staff - unbelievably it was quicker to walk down to the lounge bar to buy drinks!

The worst part of the experience was breakfast... My full cooked breakfast was missing several items from the plate, and my wife's pancakes arrived at the table still raw in the middle. My comment about my missing breakfast items was answered by waiting staff with "It's nearly the end of breakfast, so you just get what's left..."

I'm absolutely incredulous at this poor level of service from a 4 star hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Biggchris_uk
There are newer reviews for Dryburgh Abbey Hotel

Reviewed 8 February 2014

One night stay with my son when up for a rugby match. Large well appointed room, peaceful and picturesque location, great breakfast (with haggis and black pudding) and friendly, helpful staff. OK so the building is showing its age a little but that adds character and style, which is much better than staying in some cookie-cutter, plain vanilla chain. Only small quibble - need new pillows in Room 1!
I'll certainly recommend and hope to return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John C
Reviewed 7 February 2014

great hotel, comfortable rooms, good food, strange local kitchen porter called mo, fantastc views and surrounding area. visited berwick and saw rugby 7s at galashiels and hawick easy drive to edinburgh saw the castle and views. we had a geat stay and will come again thank you.

Room Tip: front of hotel has best views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My wife and I booked Friday and Saturday nights direct with the hotel as we were attending a family christening in Melrose on the Sunday. After booking I checked Tripadvisor and was somewhat alarmed to see the poor rating for this hotel. It is an old building with creaky floors etc. but has a beautiful location on the banks of the River Tweed . The hotel was clean and comfortable with a very good breakfast and friendly and helpful staff. We had bar meals in the hotel on both nights, which were good but we felt a bit expensive as were the drinks. However overall we enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PJJ922
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had booked to stay at this hotel after a funeral and were worried after reading some reviews on here but were very pleasantly surprised. We arrived well before check in time but were given the keys to our rooms immediately. We had paid the extra for a room with a view and felt it was worth it. The rooms were large and spacious, the shower was fantastic, we had everything we needed in the room. We were drawn to sit beside the fire but had to move as we were so warm, the settees were all very comfortable, think we sat in them all by the end of the night!

We had afternoon tea on arrival and this was lovely. Home made scones and cakes. Truly scrumptious. In the evening we ate downstairs and had steaks and fish pie. The onion rings are a must. We all enjoyed our meals. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Breakfast is served up stairs and it is a lovely setting. We were spoilt for choice at breakfast, again the staff were lovely

We will return under happier circumstances as we really enjoyed our stay - yes parts of the hotel look tired but it is an old beautiful building and it suits it. It would be a shame to alter anything about it. It was also a cold day but at no time were we ever cold. I cannot praise the hotel enough,

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are worth the extra
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank alma50
Reviewed 27 January 2014

It is clear, as soon as you enter the hotel that it is in need of major investment. When I walked into my bedroom - which was in a great location at the front of the hotel, and overlooking the abbey ruins; my first impressions were far from good. Granted it was a miserable, dark January afternoon - but the room was depressing, dark and cold. Before even removing my winter jacket, I rang down to reception to enquire my radiator was not working, only to be told that the heating came on at set intervals throughout the day, and that I was unable to have to control over my own warmth - they would however override this system for me. The night’s sleep was interrupted by the groups of drunken young men smoking and shouting below my window, then ultimately coming up to the corridor to their rooms approximately 1am.

On a brighter note; the location; the young staff and the food were good - I am sure that this place could be really very nice with a refurbishment.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Harriet S
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Dryburgh Abbey Hotel is lovely. We were looking for a relaxing getaway and this was perfect. This is an old building so don't expect perfect straight walls or lots of plate glass. Do expect character, creaky floors and top notch cleanliness. Cleanest hotel I've been to.
The staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: Choose an abbey room, bigger room and most of them face the gardens to the front.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cringletie House
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel

Been to Dryburgh Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!