“Lovely stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in St Boswells
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed for two nights to celebrate family birthdays. It is stunning from outside but slightly dated inside. We are in the restaurant on both nights where food and service was great.
Our rooms were very spacious, spotlessly clean and comfortable. Lovely grounds for walks also.
We will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aztec1309

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Recently stayed at the Dryburgh Abbey Hotel whilst on a business trip.

As my flight was changed, I called the hotel to inform them I would be late on arriving and spoke to a very polite and professional staff member.

It was very dark when I arrived and as I was driving on my own, the road down to the hotel amongst trees did have my mind wandering! However as morning crept in, the view was beautiful. The abbey ruins and river are very close to the hotel grounds.

My overall impression of the hotel was OK. As previously stated the staff were very professional and this was evident throughout my stay.

Unfortunately I didn't eat at the hotel having arrived too late in the evening and had to be on the road early so skipped breakfast. Therefore I cant comment on the F & B service.

I do agree with other reviewers regarding the overall condition of the hotel. My room was very clean and everything in place but definitely a bit outdated.

I do however think this hotel has amazing potential. The building, views and area are stunning and make you very proud to be Scottish. I would love to return some day and see the hotel transformed into a real Scottish retreat but without losing its charm and delightful staff.

Would definitely return!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Angela C
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding - which was being held at the hotel.

The room was - at best - dated. The bathroom was already an insect graveyard when we checked in!

Room service was prompt and the food we ordered was good and well presented.

During the wedding the function bar service was awful, with two fairly disinterested staff - unbelievably it was quicker to walk down to the lounge bar to buy drinks!

The worst part of the experience was breakfast... My full cooked breakfast was missing several items from the plate, and my wife's pancakes arrived at the table still raw in the middle. My comment about my missing breakfast items was answered by waiting staff with "It's nearly the end of breakfast, so you just get what's left..."

I'm absolutely incredulous at this poor level of service from a 4 star hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Biggchris_uk
Boxford, Suffolk
Reviewed 8 February 2014

One night stay with my son when up for a rugby match. Large well appointed room, peaceful and picturesque location, great breakfast (with haggis and black pudding) and friendly, helpful staff. OK so the building is showing its age a little but that adds character and style, which is much better than staying in some cookie-cutter, plain vanilla chain. Only small quibble - need new pillows in Room 1!
I'll certainly recommend and hope to return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John C
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

great hotel, comfortable rooms, good food, strange local kitchen porter called mo, fantastc views and surrounding area. visited berwick and saw rugby 7s at galashiels and hawick easy drive to edinburgh saw the castle and views. we had a geat stay and will come again thank you.

Room Tip: front of hotel has best views.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My wife and I booked Friday and Saturday nights direct with the hotel as we were attending a family christening in Melrose on the Sunday. After booking I checked Tripadvisor and was somewhat alarmed to see the poor rating for this hotel. It is an old building with creaky floors etc. but has a beautiful location on the banks of the River Tweed . The hotel was clean and comfortable with a very good breakfast and friendly and helpful staff. We had bar meals in the hotel on both nights, which were good but we felt a bit expensive as were the drinks. However overall we enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PJJ922
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had booked to stay at this hotel after a funeral and were worried after reading some reviews on here but were very pleasantly surprised. We arrived well before check in time but were given the keys to our rooms immediately. We had paid the extra for a room with a view and felt it was worth it. The rooms were large and spacious, the shower was fantastic, we had everything we needed in the room. We were drawn to sit beside the fire but had to move as we were so warm, the settees were all very comfortable, think we sat in them all by the end of the night!

We had afternoon tea on arrival and this was lovely. Home made scones and cakes. Truly scrumptious. In the evening we ate downstairs and had steaks and fish pie. The onion rings are a must. We all enjoyed our meals. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Breakfast is served up stairs and it is a lovely setting. We were spoilt for choice at breakfast, again the staff were lovely

We will return under happier circumstances as we really enjoyed our stay - yes parts of the hotel look tired but it is an old beautiful building and it suits it. It would be a shame to alter anything about it. It was also a cold day but at no time were we ever cold. I cannot praise the hotel enough,

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are worth the extra
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
The Townhouse Hotel
The Townhouse Hotel
#1 of 7 in Melrose

Been to Dryburgh Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!