“A fabulous retreat”

Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in St Boswells
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This trip was our second to the Hotel. The first time was amazing (obviusly helped by the fact we got engaged there) and I was gratified that it was as good now as it was then.

The room decor could not be said to be modernistic however it is in keeping with the look of the place and is spotless. The food is amazing and the service was impeccable both in the restaurant and at the bar.

It is also one of the quietest hotels i have ever stayed in and the whole atmosphere was relaxed.

I can certainly see us coming back here

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David A

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently with our dog and had a wonderful time.

From the minute we arrived nothing was too much trouble and the Staff were so lovely.

The setting and views along the River Tweed are superb and you feel you are far from civilisation yet it's only a few minutes from town !!

The dog was welcome everywhere except the formal dining room , our room was beautiful and large with comfy beds and pristine bathroom,,

We would have no hesitation recommending this Hotel to anyone and hope to be back ourselves very soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but you may want to request a river view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorraine D
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed for two nights to celebrate family birthdays. It is stunning from outside but slightly dated inside. We are in the restaurant on both nights where food and service was great.
Our rooms were very spacious, spotlessly clean and comfortable. Lovely grounds for walks also.
We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aztec1309
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Recently stayed at the Dryburgh Abbey Hotel whilst on a business trip.

As my flight was changed, I called the hotel to inform them I would be late on arriving and spoke to a very polite and professional staff member.

It was very dark when I arrived and as I was driving on my own, the road down to the hotel amongst trees did have my mind wandering! However as morning crept in, the view was beautiful. The abbey ruins and river are very close to the hotel grounds.

My overall impression of the hotel was OK. As previously stated the staff were very professional and this was evident throughout my stay.

Unfortunately I didn't eat at the hotel having arrived too late in the evening and had to be on the road early so skipped breakfast. Therefore I cant comment on the F & B service.

I do agree with other reviewers regarding the overall condition of the hotel. My room was very clean and everything in place but definitely a bit outdated.

I do however think this hotel has amazing potential. The building, views and area are stunning and make you very proud to be Scottish. I would love to return some day and see the hotel transformed into a real Scottish retreat but without losing its charm and delightful staff.

Would definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Angela C
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding - which was being held at the hotel.

The room was - at best - dated. The bathroom was already an insect graveyard when we checked in!

Room service was prompt and the food we ordered was good and well presented.

During the wedding the function bar service was awful, with two fairly disinterested staff - unbelievably it was quicker to walk down to the lounge bar to buy drinks!

The worst part of the experience was breakfast... My full cooked breakfast was missing several items from the plate, and my wife's pancakes arrived at the table still raw in the middle. My comment about my missing breakfast items was answered by waiting staff with "It's nearly the end of breakfast, so you just get what's left..."

I'm absolutely incredulous at this poor level of service from a 4 star hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Biggchris_uk
Reviewed 8 February 2014

One night stay with my son when up for a rugby match. Large well appointed room, peaceful and picturesque location, great breakfast (with haggis and black pudding) and friendly, helpful staff. OK so the building is showing its age a little but that adds character and style, which is much better than staying in some cookie-cutter, plain vanilla chain. Only small quibble - need new pillows in Room 1!
I'll certainly recommend and hope to return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John C
Reviewed 7 February 2014

great hotel, comfortable rooms, good food, strange local kitchen porter called mo, fantastc views and surrounding area. visited berwick and saw rugby 7s at galashiels and hawick easy drive to edinburgh saw the castle and views. we had a geat stay and will come again thank you.

Room Tip: front of hotel has best views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
The Townhouse Hotel
The Townhouse Hotel
#1 of 7 in Melrose

Been to Dryburgh Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!