“Great food, service a bit cold”

and 1 more site!
Buccleuch Arms Scottish Borders
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in St Boswells
London
“Great food, service a bit cold”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We popped into the bar for a meal in full walking gear on our way to start the St cuthberts way. The waitress said she didn't mind our stuff so we sat down and ordered. Don't know if it was our slight scruffiness, our accents or the fact I ordered tap water but things took a turn for the surly.

Anyway, the food when it came was great. Chicken salad fresh and crisp with a breadcrumbed deep fried egg (clever). Sea bass was succulent and tasty if slightly small in portion.

The younger waitresses were friendly and professional - not sure what went wrong with the other lady but the food was worth braving it for.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Lizzie__C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

While on holiday in the borders we drove past the hotel , on first impressions it look very good , how wrong can you be ? Popped in on the way back from Jedburgh to book a table for an evening meal . We opted for a bar meal as the bar area look relaxed & informal . When we arrived in the bar we had to hang around for 5 mins before a member of staff asked if they could help, told them we had a reservation and we where promptly shown into what can only be called a big cupboard with 3 tables. Yet when we booked we were told that they had plenty of room.
Drinks order taken and delivered very quickly .. So far so good , looked at the menu , decided what we wanted with in a few minutes , then it all went down hill .. Sat for 20 minutes waiting for our order to be taken , 3 members of staff came into the cupboard and walk away without saying a word . We got so fed up waiting I went to pay for the drinks so that we could leave and go to an other restaurant in nearby Melrose , but unfortunately for us a table became vacant in the main bar area so I bit my tongue and we moved tables.
After waiting another 10 mins someone came over and took the order , I ordered steak and was asked how I would like it , I said well done or no blood , I was then told that this that and the next thing would be wrong with it if I ordered it that way . I'm a big boy now and I've been eating steak a few years now , I don't need someone to argue with me how I like it cooked. I also asked for pepper sauce instead of sauce that was on the menu , this confused the waiter so I gave in and took it as it came , another mistake ! The sauce that it came with was some sort of garlic butter, all I can say was that it was butter , it turned the whole meal into a greasy blob.
We had to ask a waitress for more drinks , another mistake , she went to the bar (left the empty glass on the table) the barman brought over the drinks and took the empties away. It's not like the original waitress was busy dealing with someone else , she stood and chatted to another member of staff !
We finished our meal and my wife decided she would like a desert , another mistake ! We sat and looked at the dirty dishes in front of us for another 15mins . We decided life was too short to deal with desert so I got up and paid the bill at the bar .
This is the first time in my life that I have been in a restaurant and paid while there is still dirty crockery on the table ! As someone else said , the worst £36 I have spent !!
Would I go back ? Not a chance in hell !!

Room Tip: Stay away from the so called restaurant
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Scott I
Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked on a Groupon deal and on arrival were given room 1 which has a lovely view out over the garden. It was a lovely warm and sunny evening and it was a pleasure to sit in the room for a while, which was a mixture of traditional and modern. We ate in the bistro which was very busy. Food and service were both excellent - we are not foodies so were not expecting anything more than decent pub grub but it was well presented and much better than we might have expected. All of the staff we met were welcoming and friendly. Often we think Scotland - our home country - has little to offer visitors in good accommodation outside of our major cities but we think this is an exception. We definitely want to return and, according to one of the housekeeping staff I spoke to either the room we had (1) or 14 are the rooms to ask for. I think anyone having bought one of the recent Groupon deals will not be disappointed. I wish we had bought another!

Room Tip: Room 1 or 14
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here last week for 2 nights. Booked this hotel as it was convenient for the places we wanted to visit. Should probably have opted for larger room as standard room is small and not much room to move around. Welcome from reception was good and they informed us that if we wanted to eat there as they were busy we should book. Managed to get the last table. Ate here both nights and the food was o.k. Staff were very friendly and there was a good atmosphere in the bar.

Room Tip: Check room sizes before booking especially if staying longer than 1 night.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

As a group of nine we came in tired after several days walking.
The evening dinner was a perfect gathering to round off our trip. Marvellous welcome by the staff, then a great menu so satisfy all tastes. Service at the table was warm,friendly, and efficient.
Breakfast the following morning just superb.

Room Tip: Ask about the recent renovations.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed overnight and ate in the bar. My room was a single which was a mixture of modern and traditional. It was clean but the TV was not connected to the aerial. The meal in the bar was nice, using local produce, but was not great. The local beer was excellent. The staff in the bar were very friendly, although they did lose my meal order when it came to working out the bill. Breakfast was good, although the service was a little disjointed. A pleasant stay but nothing really special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MeltonJerry
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Hotel in process of renovation, not sure if this affected the service. It was a bit slow but very friendly and helpful. Meal average , nicely cooked but nothing out if the ordinary. Drinks were a bit pricey though, a round for 4 costing over £12 ...1 pint, 1 cider, 1 kopperberg and 1 lemonade. ....not sure if that's average but it seemed to be expensive ? Bit baffled as to why the car park was full but didn't appear to be so many people dining , maybe something else going on ? Would try it again next time we are up.

1 Thank Val K
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
Roxburghe Hotel & Golf Course
Bay Waverley Castle Hotel
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel

Been to Buccleuch Arms Scottish Borders? Share your experiences!