“Restaurant review”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dalbeattie
Dalbeattie, United Kingdom
“Restaurant review”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Revenge Steaks ( Revenge is a dish best served cold )

My wife and I dined at Clonyard House Hotel on Thursday 28th November 2013

The ambience was good; the wine was good; the chips were absolutely fabulous,

but the sirloin steaks were cold, my medium rare was raw, the grilled tomato was stone cold, and the mushrooms tasted as if they had been cooked in rancid butter,and it was all served on cold plates.

Will we be going back? I think not; will we be telling our friends in Kippford? We already have!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alan_in_Kippford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Clonyard is not an anonymous bland chain hotel. It is privately owned and quirky with loads of character. The main house is very attractive and most of the bedrooms are in an annexe with the benefit of a lovely peaceful green aspect and a patio and chairs outside each room. The breakfast offers a lot of choice including haggis and kippers althouh does not offer a fried veggie breakfast. The staff are friendly. The rooms have all mod cons including bath and shower also phone. The hotel is 5 minutes from beaches and small towns, plenty to do in the area. The hotel has an early check in and late check out so is relaxed. Very quiet at night .Good bar meals too.

Room Tip: there are three larger bedrooms in the main hotel but the ones in the annexe have patios
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Katherine D
East Wemyss, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just arrived back from a long weekend at the Clonyard with 4 other couples. We were the last to arrive (8:00pm) and didn't have to wait to long to book in.
Our room was 16, which was as far away from the bar/reception/dining area as could be, and joked all evening that we would have to get up at 6 to be along for breakfast with our fellow travellers by 8:30. The evening meal was superb, the waitress was very good at making sure our orders were put to the right rooms. When the food arrived it was piping hot and there was plenty of it, to much in fact. After our meal we invaded the bar area and again the staff were excellent at taking our orders.
Back to room, which was spacious, although a bit tired on the decoration front. the duvet on the bed was to heavy for our liking, this is a personal thing though. I didn't sleep to well as there was not a spare blanket or sheet that I could use to substitute the duvet, so I did spend 50% of the night waking up because I was to cold or hot.
The morning shower was a shock as the water pressure was not sufficient to really get wet, so what should have been a 10 minute shower turned into a 30 minute shower to try and get clean. This did spoil it for me.
We realised at breakfast that our party had taken up 5 rooms and there was one other room being used whilst we were there, so why we were at the far end of the hotel I do not know.
As I have stated the food was fabulous and there was way to much, over 40% of the extra's were sent back. The breakfasts were superb with plenty of choice, but again way to much. Our requests of one egg seemed to be ignored every morning and our plates would arrive with two eggs.
If the proprietors were to cut back on the portions they could save the money from the food bill and spend it on doing the rooms up.
I would love to have given this a 4 if not 5 star, and it does deserve that for the food, but the water pressure and the tired decoration lets it down.
This would not stop me from going back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nazeing
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was the first time for 14 years that we have visited the area and we stayed for just 1 night on our way further North in Scotland. We thought the hotel needed a lot of TLC - the resident areas and rooms looked like they had been fitted and decorated very hastily, carpets crawling up the skirting boards or not quite reaching them, moss covered patio areas, mold in the shower, the list could go on. This is a shame as I remember the hotel as a lovely place. I think that when we next go to the area we will be looking elsewhere for somewhere to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AliNazeing
Prudhoe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

There are not too many places to eat in evenings around this area so we opted for the Clonyard after looking in our B & B guest info book.
The restaurant could be elegant and stately, it was nice, but it could be actually splendid with a little bit of attention and just a little investment.
The food was all good having said this. Two pleasant starters of soup of the day - chicken broth, and some fish cakes were well devoured and enjoyed by us both.
We opted for basic mains of roast chicken and beer battered cod. Again they were both tasty and fresh, washed down with a lovely glass of white wine, we had no complaints at ll. The prices were good value also.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lesdawsonprudhoe
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

It's fair to say the hotel was smart on the outside, but a little tired on the inside, and bit of TLC wouldn't go amiss. So please don't expect a modern boutique hotel. But it was certainly clean and comfortable and in a lovely location. The arrangement for dog owners is fabulous, being able to enter and exit via the patio door. And the patio area is sheltered so you can dry off your pooch, if necessary, before going into the room. On the subject of the room it was spacious and smelt fresh, and there was a good supply of tea, coffee and biscuits. I didn't find an info folder which most hotels supply (with details of restaurant times, local services etc) so they missed a trick there. We found there was always ample hot water, and although the water pressure wasn't as good as back home it was adequate. The location was quiet so we always slept well. We stayed 5 nights and the breakfasts were superb, cooked fresh to order, plus cereals, juices, grapefruit and yogurts. The evening meals were also very enjoyable, although I'd advise to book B&B only because booking BB&EM just gets you a £15 allowance off the evening menu (so it's more flexible if you just pay for your meal in the evening instead of trying to pick things that add up to £15!). We found the staff to be really friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would gladly return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
North East England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed here with my husband on a last minute night away, we booked fairly late in the day so availability in the area was scarce. We arrived at approximately 6pm and whilst my husband parked the car I was met by a bloke at the reception who asked my name, grabbed a key, showed me up to the room & told me to be careful with the falling apart window! no introduction, no warm welcome, no details of restaurant times......nothing! a very disappointing and unfriendly reception. The hotel at first looked quite nice & promising. ....until we got to the room #1 upstairs. apart from the window we couldnt touch, the room
was very tired & dated, stains on the carpet & bedding, bathroom with stains & mould in shower......the shower is more like a dribble and be careful as you'll either be froze or burnt if you get any more than a trickle!! there was also a very strange feeling in that room, a presence?? as soon as my husband stepped through the door he said it didnt feel right & he didnt like the feeling but couldn't place why. Well let's just say we slept with lights on, strange noises, tv being turned off, lots of orbs....an overall ghostly experience! not the 1st to be reported here either so I was told on checking out! last to add was the dissapointing breakfast, waited an age to be served only to get greasy average food. Would we stay again......no I dont think so, an expensive night for a totally disappointing stay, better accommodation in the area if you have the choice but the surrounding area is fantastic!

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalbeattie
The Birchtree Hotel
Anchor Hotel at Kippford
Rosemount Guest House
Rosemount Guest House
#1 of 4 in Kippford

Been to Clonyard House Hotel? Share your experiences!