“St Patricks week end”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Portpatrick
pip
“St Patricks week end”
Reviewed 31 March 2007

Well where could I start my reveiw of the Fernhill Hotel in Portpatrick??

Lets start at the begining shall we!! ha ha

My friend and I stayed at the hotel on the 16th and 17th of march this year. The hotel itself was in such a beautiful surroundings that it would have been hard to find fault with the setting. The veiws over the harbour to which our room overlooked were absolutely spectacular..

The staff were excellent making our stay so very memorable. Ailsa and Janice (the receptionists) were so polite and efficient that we felt at ease from the moment we walked into the hotel.Enjoying our complimentary glass of sherry on our arrival added that extra "touch of class".

The location of the Hotel was very good too. Twaz just a short distance down the hill to the delightful bar of the Crown Hotel- again very friendly staff and a very warm welcome was given to one and all with live music from a traditional irish band.

The meals in the hotel were beautiful. They tended to every taste- and may I say.............. tasted gorgeous too! In the Dining hall we were looked after by Bob one of the Head waiters (not sure what his full title was) he was both professional/efficient/cheerful and a delight to listen to with his "merry banter" making meal times more enjoyable.

Overall a very enjoyable stay!!! I dont think that we shall forget this St Patricks weekend this year.

We shall certainly be going back again one day.

Thank you for such an enjoyable stay!!

Helen and Paul xx

• Liked — The spectacular veiws and the friendliness of staff.
  • Disliked — cant think of anything at this point in time.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank helencam390

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Wemyss Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2007

Stayed 2 nights (Friday & Saturday). Hotel was excellent, food superb. Service in the dining room was excellent on the Friday night, but not so good on the Saturday when they were busy.
I would highly recommend this hotel, with the proviso that it is up a steep hill, so not suitable for anyone with walking difficulties. However, the plus side is that the view over the harbour is excellent. We had a front facing room in the main hotel, which was very spacious and had a veranda big enough to sit out on.
The worst fault I could find was that the toilet roll holder was akward to get at !! Hotel is rated as a 3 star, but I would rate it as good as many higher rated hotels I have stayed at.

• Liked — Food
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WCS
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2006

A very nice hotel with fantastic staff and great food and views.

However, I think the room was overpriced by about £20 - £25 especially given the time of year and the fact that the hotel, on the evening I was there, was virtually empty.

Would love to say again but would not pay the same room rate.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank Platz
Dumfries & Galloway
Reviewed 2 October 2006

Being our first visit to Fernhill, we were overwhelmed by the
splendid views of the village and the bay, from the conservatory.
The cusine was out of this world, served to us by attentive staff in a very pleasant manner, in surroundings fit for royalty.
There is no doubt in our minds that we will be making a return visit in the near future and would highly recommend that you add this hotel to your list of favourites.

• Liked — The accommodation we had oozed comfort and relaxation.
  • Disliked — I didn't find anything I didn't like.
  • Tips/Secrets — When dining, do try to get a table at the window in the conservatory, the views are stunning.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LJMC
Glasgow
Reviewed 11 June 2006

Have just returned from the Fernhill today (Sun 11/6/06) after a 2 night stay. This was a special occasion, our 25th wedding anniversary, and I originally wanted a special hotel - spa etc. for the break. We left the bookings too late for the hotels of our choice in this catagory, but what good luck! The Fernhill may not have the spa or pool, but if this was a failing it was well compensated for by the quality of accommodation, food and the welcoming and friendly staff. The hotel was smaller then I expected (as an earlier review may have suggested), but non the worse for that (not what the earlier review suggested). Perfect for a luxury stay in Portpatrick without being too formal and stilted. We really felt welcome and it made the occasion feel special. Thankyou to all the staff.

We definately hope to return in the future for the occasional getaway night of luxury.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Ann800
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2006

I only stayed one night here as I was so very disappointed. I was under the impression that the Hotel was in seculded grounds which wasn't quite true. I thought that the hotel was very average, the food OK .I didn't want to stay and moved on

The staff were very friendly and helpful however. For me a bit of a let down after what I'd read.

• Stayed April 2006
scotland
Reviewed 1 November 2005

hotel in forgotten part of scotland - the south west. stunning view from reception lounge over bay and fishing port. offered glass of sherry on arrival - time to sit and enjoy view and make use of daily newspapers and local information leaftlets. escorted to lovely room, view over the sea, very comfortable. dining facilities also lovely. food exquisite - kindest regards to the chef. all staff welcoming and attentive. would just suggest waiting staff take a little more time for conversation - would understand if place was busy, but was not. overall, very enjoyable experience, and would recommend to others. glad we visited!

1 Thank nancytoddScotland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portpatrick
The Portpatrick Hotel
#3 of 3 in Stranraer
The Downshire Hotel
The Downshire Hotel
#5 of 5 in Portpatrick

Been to Fernhill Hotel? Share your experiences!