“Tired in need of revamp.”

Mount Stewart Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Portpatrick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Looking for a late book in we found the hotel near the sea quite appealing from the outside.
After waiting for someone (reception was closed) a pleasant man (the barman) showed us to our room. It was quite roomy but outdated, the bathroom most of all, with shower screen broken and in need of a clean. The bed was comfortable and fresh which to us is very important.
The advertised cost per night on the notices outside said 30 pound a head, we were charged 40 pound each. No evening meals were available so we ate elsewhere.
Breakfast was prompt and adequate. Overall feel of the place was that it needed a revamp.With a revamp this lovely old building could rekindle its obvious charm and elegance.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the ocean are the best.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kay L

Reviewed 9 August 2013

My wife and I decided on a touring,trip to Scotland but port Patrick was as far as we got. After a very long drive from Keswick we arrived at the small village of port Patrick. Someone had recommended the place to us a s worth a visit. Very nice port with a few pubs and nice walks along the cliffs. We had not booked a hotel so picked the Mount Stewart at random. The hotel is a bit tired but the food more than makes up for this. Stayed two nights. Good overall value. Had meals here both nights and on both occasions it was very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Ate here yesterday, well didn't actually , as the food was so bad AND cold that we sent it back! This ensued a row with the chef , Malcolm, who was rude, aggressive and totally out of his depth to deal with ANY complaint! A perfect example as to why some people should never come front of house. When we asked for the Manager we were told " look pal, don't you cheek me!" I believe he was left alone in the hotel... Bad move!
Having spoken to the owner on the phone, I was given a refund for my meal only, this was thrown across the bar at me by the very disgruntled Malcolm! Won't be back Guys, I'm sure you can work out why!?!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank casmondo
Reviewed 15 July 2013

had a weekend fishing with the lads at port patrick stayed at the mount stewart hotel portpatrick, excellent service, nice staff , beer very good and a fantastic breakfast, great view over the harbour, good guitar music on the friday night on the terrace, even got an invite too play a few songs myself.
The mount stewart is like a 2nd home to our fishing club. rooms are always clean and beds are good, some of the lads stayed in other hotels in the village as we could not get enough rooms in the mount stewart,but there is always a fight to see who gets a room in the mount stewart

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Billy B
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We go to Portpatrick every year on holiday and the Mt. Stewart is one of our favourite resaurants! We have stayed in it before and even though the rooms are quite basic they are cosy!! The food is also very good!!! I have rated it 4/5 though, because some of the decor is quite dated but that could be a good thing for some people !! :)

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Abzxx
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel twice during the last 12 weeks and cant fault it. We chose this hotel as we used to eat and drink there regularly each time we stayed in Portpatrick during the time we stayed in our family's caravan there.

The food cannot be faulted, its spot on, and gorgeous. Excellent chef. We stayed bed and breakfast but ate our evening meal there each night which was reasonably priced.

We have stayed in both room 2 at Easter and room 4 last week, both were lovely Amazing views of the port and Ireland. The noise from the bar was minimal and stopped around midnight, it didn't bother us as we watched the television while we were in our room. There was no problem with the outside light either, it was on an angle to light up the building but wasn't pointed directly into our room.

We are hoping to be back before the season ends this year if not will be back next year :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 216linda216
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I Found this hotel 5 years ago whilst staying in another hotel in Portpatrick which I walked out of out due to a lousy artist playing. I walked up the hill and went in and the rest, as they say, is history. I have been every year since - lovely views, lovely food and we get well looked after. I would and have recommended this hotel without hesitation. Just read an earlier review and guess you can't please everyone!

• Stayed: June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portpatrick
The Portpatrick Hotel
#2 of 2 in Stranraer
The Harbour House Hotel
The Harbour House Hotel
#7 of 14 in Portpatrick

Been to Mount Stewart Hotel? Share your experiences!