“We liked it last October 2011. Going back February 2012”

The Portpatrick Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Portpatrick
Newcastle
“We liked it last October 2011. Going back February 2012”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We were ther for my 60th birthday. Hotel wasn't full. Room was great. My wife had booked a superior room and was well worth the extra cost. Meals were nice. Staff were ALL very friendly and helpful. The two of us had a really nice time. We are going back in two weeks with friends and we are really looking forward to it.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a superior room. Well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank strakerbp
PortpatrickHotel, Manager at The Portpatrick Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Thank you for your lovely comments. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff also thank you for your kind words and we hope you enjoyed our more recent stay with us just as much!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I have to agree with the last reviewer with regards to the dining room staff - for me, they spoiled our trip a little too. We also went midweek for a short stay. At breakfast, it was not terribly busy, but one waitress was rushed off her feet and another two stood blethering. We sat and were ignored completely until I waved at the two who were talking. One of them came over and I asked her to take our order to which she replied by sighing and saying this wasnt her table, and pointed to the girl who was rushed off her feet, whose "table" apparently it was. When she saw the look of disbelief on my face she then took our order and said she'd "pass it on" to the other girl! The order did arrive quickly thereafter, but the girl's attitude was awful.

Thankfully, the reception staff, chamber maids and bar staff are all wonderful, so the dining room girls do not reflect the standard service of the majority of whom you come into contact with during your stay. In particular, Kelly from the bar was wonderful, as was the Irish gentleman (sorry I didn't catch his name) from the reception area who was also extremely helpful - I remember them both from our previous visit two years ago and their service is a credit to the hotel.

The smaller rooms in the hotel are still in need of refurbishment, but they are clean, warm and functional nonetheless. The public areas are well kept and the reception area lounge is a pleasure to sit in with its panoramic views over the village and harbour.

We will definately be back. The hotel in my opinion has the best location in the village, and (perhaps with the exception of a few) an excellent calibre of staff who give great advice, tips and, in some instances go above and beyond their call of duty.

Room Tip: I was informed that in addition to the main hotel, there are also three little known about apartment...
4 Thank alfakitten
I am sorry about the service you received in the dining room. After the last few reviews, we have spoken with the Head of the dining room and her staff and have introduced a new system which should improve the dining room standards.

Thank you for your nice comments about the rest of our team here and Kelly and Melvin (the Irish gentleman) were very happy to get a special mention!

We look forward to seeing you again soon and if you would like any information on our apartments please email or give us a call and we can send out the details.
Brussels
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We arrived late Monday afternoon and quickly received the keys to our room. The room was on the second floor and was clean and cosy. Overall the Hotel was nicely decorated and the majority of staff hard working and pleasant. We do, however, have a couple of criticisms. Firstly the "shower" (using that term loosely) was far too inadequate. It was very difficult to control the water temperature and the "shower" was little more than a trickle of water!! If someone in another room turned on the hot tap the water suddenly went freezing cold. Just what you want first thing in the morning.
The staff work hard and overall are pleasant. The food was good, plenty of variety and was always hot. Kelly who works in the bar is an amazing lady. She soon got to know each guest and their room number and what drinks they preferred. What a memory!! Well done Kelly.
BUT what spoilt our stay was the poor service we received from some staff on the Thursday morning. We went down for breakfast at 8.00 am and placed our order for a "full breakfast". We were booked to go out for the day on an excursion leaving at 9.15.
We sat patiently waiting for our breakfast. Other guests had now come in to the dining room and placed their orders. The previous two days we had breakfast served to us within ten minutes or so of placing the order. 15 minutes had gone by and no sign of our breakfast but we noticed that other guests who had arrived after us had been served their breakfast. We still sat there patiently waiting. 30 minutes had now elapsed since we placed our order and still no sign of ours. After 45 minutes had gone by I attracted the attention of one of the waitresses and asked where our breakfast was. During all this waiting time no-one came to us to offer an explanation or apologise for the delay. Time was ticking along and it was now 8.55 am and still no breakfast!!!!
I went to the front reception to make a complaint about the long wait. The receptionist listened to my complaint, then merely said " well, we do have 100 guests to serve breakfast to!" I just stood there in utter amazement at the response. She then went on to say to complain to the kitchen supervisor. Again, no apology for the delay. I went back in to the dining room to find that at last we had our breakfast. It was now 9.05 leaving us just ten minutes to gulp our full breakfast down. All the other guests had now left the dining room and were getting ready to board the coach for the excursion.My partner had also asked the waitress when she finally came to our table with our breakfast, why the long wait and that all the other guests who arrived after us had been served and left the dining room. I was astonished that once again the reply was " we have 100 guests to serve!!! and walked off.
I think that some staff need to learn "people skills". A simple apology or an explanation to the long delay would have gone a long way to appease us.
I did try to see the manager on our return from our excursion but unfortunately he was not on duty.
I did however, see the duty manager the following morning. He listened to my complaint, (I will add that at no time was I rude or aggressive in making my complaint, either on the morning in question or the following day, when I saw the duty manager. After I had told him the way we felt, he immediately apologised. He agreed that the response we had at the time was not good enough and that he would make sure that this did not happen in the future.
I did point out to him that this had spoilt what would have been a very enjoyable stay.
Would I go back? Mmmm hard to say but probably yes, just to see if things have improved.

3 Thank mibur2
I am very sorry that your stay was spoiled by your breakfast on Thursday morning. You should not have had to wait so long and definitely should have been given an explanation if there was such a delay.

This is definitely not a regular situation. The problem was that there were 2 coaches having breakfast at exactly the same time. This is not usually the case. We had asked the drivers to advise their passengers to come to breakfast at separate intervals, however this was not communicated properly and so, as a result, everyone came down at once.

This is still not an excuse for why you waited so long for your meal but I believe this was resolved for the following morning when both coaches came down at separate times.

I am pleased that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and thank you for your lovely comments about Kelly and our staff in general. I sincerely hope that you will consider us again for a holiday and this time enjoy your stay in full.
Pooley Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Stayed on a Shearings 4 night winter all inclusive break in Jan 2012. Great location over the town with fantastic views to Northern Ireland and Isle on Man.Perfectly good safe step route down from hotel to town or an alternative road route out from hotel main door. The stepped route is the start of the Southern Upland Way a well marked long distance path that has a great coastal section from the front of the hotel. Several comfortable lounge areas in the hotel, pleasant airy dining room with good food for breakfast and dinner ( good choice without having to pay for supplements) served by helpful and cheerful staff team who all seemed for a change to be local people. Free bar (limited but adequate choice) very welcome for 3 hours in the evening. Music enbtertainment on 2 nights. Standard room at rear of hotel looked over golf course again pleasnat and warm and cosy with a good bathroom with over bath shower. For the price paid (with 2 included excursions to Stranraer and north end of Rhinns of Galloway (half day) and Ayr via coast road and Alloway on a full day) it was a brilliant bargain. Quality of food at dinner was noticeably better than in other Shearings hotels in their Bay chain that we have visited. Hotel too seemed more cared for with clear refurbishment in evidence in the ground floor area of the public rooms

Room Tip: Rooms without sea view are quieter on a stormy night! We were glad to be at the back on one of the n...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Alan W
Thank you very much for your great review. I have informed all our staff of your comments and we are all very touched and hope to see you again in the near future!
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We have just come back from a 4 night stay, we traveld with Shearings coach trips.
We had a standard sea view room on the 1st floor, the view over Portpatrick harbour was beautifull and well worth the extra money.
The room was spacious and very clean, we had a shower room with everything you need, plenty of clean towels and toiletries, and a hot towel rail to keep the towels nice and warm.
The bed was comfortable but unusually it had a blanket and a quilted throw instead of a continental quilt, i did notice that some people asked reception for more blankets, we just kept the wall heater on overnight and it was warm enough.
A good hot beverage tray was in the room with good quality tea and coffee and suchards hot chocolate sachets and biscuits, this was replenished every day.
The hotel reception rooms were of a modern design and did not have that Scotish feel to them, they had a contempary design but the hotel was nicely decorated with plenty of different seating areas and a nice size television lounge with a big flat screen television.
The food at the hotel was good, the menu was varied with several good choices, the starters were imaginitive with homemade soup , salads pate. and fish, one night we had a selection of indian starters, they were delicious. The main choice always had 2 meat choices and a vegetarian and a fish choice. If you see Beef bourignon on the menu choose it , it was lovely realy well cooked and presented. Breakfast was good as well, buffet starters and a cooked breakfast with plenty of choice, always nicely cooked.
All the staff at the hotel were very good, all pleased to help and service with a smile. At no time were we treated like a coach party, we had individual attention at meal times and all other times
Overall i think this break was excellent value for money, we even had included drinks in the evening. we had 2 nights with entertainment and both were very good. There was not alot of seats in the entertainment room so my advice would be to get in there early or if you havnt got a seat just get one from the dining room , which is what we did.
From the hotel there are steps down to the harbour, or for a gentler walk down walk out the front of the hotel and turn first right and then down the steps with a gentler incline.
The village of Portpatrick is very pretty, not much to do in the winter but there is a restaurant a cafe and a few hotels and pubs where you can get a drink or something to eat. The crown had a warm Scottish welcome and a lovely log fire.
even in bad weather you cant help but think that Portpatrick is a pretty gem of a place.
we enjoyed our stay at the Portpatrick hotel

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room
4 Thank sallysands
Thank you for such a fantastic review. I have passed on your comments to all our staff, in particular our chefs, and all are very pleased to know that their hard work and effort does not go unnoticed!
Portpatrick is a beautiful little village and I would recommend returning in the Summer when it can fully be appreciated.
We hope to see you again very soon.
ayr
Reviewed 6 January 2012

went here with friends for hogmany, it was a pleasant expieriance, the hotel was warm and the staff were very good, this hotels biggest asset is its location, sitting above the beutifull village of portpatrick, with its lovely harbour, the food in the hotel let it down a bit,, this is only my opinion, it was a bit bland, and the presantation was below par, but the staff made up for that with a friendly manner and helpfull way they went about their job,, two nights entertainment were held in a lounge which held about 40 people, there were 90 guests so a black mark there, the singers on these nights were first class and deserved a better location,,, ie the dining hall was available, we went to enjoy ourselves and thats what we did, i would go back,,,

Room Tip: go in the summer, the location is just magic,,
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank costasanny
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us but am sorry you did not find our meals up to standard. Thank you for mentioning our staff, we have read them the reviews and they are glad they could make your stay enjoyable and comfortable.

Although our singers are very good, the entertainment room rarely fills to capacity during the rest of the year as we have many self-drive guests who tend to do their own thing in the evenings. However, we could do with a larger room for the holiday periods. Unfortunately we just do not have the space.
The dining hall is not available for entertainment every night as it is the only room available for breakfast and this has to be set up the evening before. We use this room for entertainment only on Hogmanay where we hold the dinner and dance.

I hope you will return in the near future and we will all look forward to seeing you.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Visited this hotel on a mid week break with shearings, excellent value for money. Main areas appeared to have been recently decorated. Weather was bad and rain was coming in through windows and ceiling in dining room. room was cold but extra heaters available if needed. Food was very good but seating arrangements a little strange, never sat at the same table twice. hotel in a lovely position overlooking the town.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank kelly_tom14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portpatrick
Fernhill Hotel
Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel
North West Castle Hotel
North West Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Stranraer

Been to The Portpatrick Hotel? Share your experiences!