“Wonderful view of the Solway”

The Powfoot Golf Hotel Restaurant
Reviewed 30 August 2013

It has been a while since we are at this spot in the Solway last time it looked and felt tired and the good was average BUT what a pleasant surprise this time food excellent, service excellent and they are clearly reinvesting in the place. Ofcourse the superb sunny views across the Solway estuary to the Lakeland fells topped off a great meal.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

This a has a lovely setting overlooking the Solway Firth. Food and service excellent. I would have liked to see tablecloths on the table to have made it just a little more special, but that is just a minor point

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Lovely views over the Solway Firth (I think). Service was definitely not with a smile. I have never met such a dour lot of people in my life - except the young, very helpful, waitress with blonde hair.
My son's wedding reception was held there and about 35 of us were staying at this, otherwise, very quiet venue. There was definitely not enough staff to service so many guests and mealtime were a shambles. For example: after waiting for over 20 minutes for a menu, one eventually arrived after another 10 minutes. No-one returned to take drinks or dinner orders so we had to go in search of someone, after another 20 minutes. When our wine arrived the waitress plonked it on the table with the glasses and walked away!! Nearly all the wedding guests were complaining to each other about the service the received from the staff. It wasn't that they were rude or anything, it was just a case of not enough staff to cope and a very take-it-or-leave-it attitude. Such a shame as it was a nice hotel in a nice setting. No-one, other than the brides mother, complained to. management as none of us wanted to put a blight on the wedding weekend
However, the wedding reception went off well, was decorated nicely, food was good, staff busy but efficient.
Again though, on checking out, our keys were taken, receipts given without a smile or a word of 'farewell'.
As I said previously, we were a small party of just 35 family and close friends; no drunkenness, high jinks or belligerence and no 'loutish' teenage behaviour so it wasn't as if the staff's manner was in response to anything like that. It's such a shame but, unfortunately it is not a hotel I would recommend for a wedding venue.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

After wonderful day out in Carlise arrived at this hotel for our high tea which had been pre-booked. The meal when it eventually arrived was absolutely appalling, to describe the "chicken salad" would take a better person than me. This was served with toast and what was euphemistically described as scones and shortbread.
This hotel is in a beautiful setting but is sadly in need of the Hotel Inspectors input.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

It was a busy restaurant on a sunny afternoon all of us seeking a wee look at the sea. The food was a bit slow but they had a saver's menu and the normal lunch one Prawns to start; my guest had leg of lamb and I had a steak. It was lovely and good value too. it's off the beaten track but worth finding.