“A home from home.”

Ranked #4 of 24 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Penrith, United Kingdom
“A home from home.”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

After cycling 94 miles in atrocious weather, I arrived at The Old Manse soaked and bedraggled, to be greeted like a long lost friend. The charming period ambience of the house reflects the warmth and generous spirit of the family; nothing was too much trouble for Marilyn, Bill & Nick, to all of whom many thanks for making my stay so comfortable. And they've got the biggest bath in the world; heaven for a 6'5" bloke with weary legs. After a really good night's sleep and a great breakfast, I was really sorry to leave in the morning. But I'll be back, for sure; dry, in a vehicle, and with my wife. If you're reading this with a view to staying, do so. To quote Bill Bryson; 'Do it now. Take my car!'.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Great, friendly people and a beatiful old building.
Comfortable and clean and a great full Scottish breakfast along with easy walking distance into town.
What more could I need - nothing.
Thanks folks

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

my sisters and I stayed on 21st April, Marilyn and her family are very accommodating and pleasant, the rooms are full of charm and spotlessly clean. I could have spent all evening admiring the Victorian furniture, ornaments and pictures. the family even moved their own car so we could all park our cars in a private and securely locked area behind the guest house. the breakfast offered was not only delicious and included, orange juice, tea,coffee, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, toast and a full cooked English but we were told there was rush for us to leave and we could have breakfast as late as we liked! the bath is so deep it could easily hold 3! not only was a selection of expensive bubble bath, shampoos etc left for our use, there was also Johnsons baby shampoo n bath wash as we had a 3 year old with us, the 3 year old also had a choice of baby organic yogurt at breakfast! so many personal touches to make guests feel welcome I couldn't list them all! we will definitely return and I would recommend the Old Manse to everyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Armadale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed in the family room on 9th April and it was really pleasant. We really enjoyed it all. Marylin and her husband were very friendly and they were really good with the children. The little puppy was delightful. We advised we were booked on the early Stena ferry to Belfast and they kindly left us cereal, fruit and fruit juice for the morning. Beautiful house and very nice people. Will definately recommend them to anyone and will use them again.

Room Tip: Beautiful big family room - bed a little soft for our liking but otherwise no problems.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Glasgow
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Old Manse on a business trip - I booked on the strength of the previous reviews and was not disappointed. Although many people now expect all rooms to be en suite, the lack of this facility did not detract from the stay; in fact the private faclities were larger and more extensive than usually offered. Likewise the bedroom was huge with lots of period character and personal touches. Breakfast was superb and set me up for the day.
Marilyn, Nicky and Barry could not have made me feel more at home if they tried and I promise I will drop in with a legendary 'Jock's Loaf' next time I'm down.
Stranraer sets the standards for me. See you all again soon.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed over the Easter weekend and were so impressed over the quality of service and standard of the rooms and breakfast. We were recieved with a warm welcome and our room was beautiful and spotlessly clean. The owner has an excellent taste in decor if you like rustic elegance. Very central location in Stranraer and very accomodating with breakfast/checkout times. Fantastic value and a wonderful place to stay. Every room has tea and coffee facilities and toiletries were provided. We would recommend this to anyone and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Merlot90
Dunbar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Arrived unannounced at 1700 and could not have received a warmer welcome.

Such a fantastic Bed and Breakfast and the just the antidote to someone who has to use chain hotels for business.

Great establishment

Room Tip: front room was fantastic
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
The Portpatrick Hotel
#3 of 24 in Stranraer
Harbour Lights Guest House
Harbour Lights Guest House
#2 of 24 in Stranraer

Been to The Old Manse Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!