“Great breakfast, which included some great haggis.”

The Old Manse Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 25 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 December 2012 via mobile

a good overnight stop before the ferry next day with a great breakfast, nice hosts, quiet, but which was unfortunately ruined by the old style bed which sagged significantly in middle when I lay on it. Really ruined my back. A modern bed would be a must for me I'm afraid. Everything else was fine.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank bpundyke

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed here with my 3 sons for two nights, as we were going to Belfast for a day trip to the Titanic museam and this B and B was convienient for the ferry to Ireland.( The ferry port has moved about another 10 minutes drive around the coast from where it used to be and where our Sat Nav said it was). The house is beautiful and the family room was big and spacious with lovely victorian style furniture. There is seating in the bay of the room so we could relax and watch the television. The beds were really comfortable (quite soft) with lts of pillows.The bathroom was down a flight of stairs but very private and again beautiful furnished with lots of victorian touches. The house is immaculate and very clean. Breakfast was lovely, with so many choices on offer including cereal, fresh berries, youghurts, fresh fruit as well as a cooked breakfast which was delicious! Marilyn, our host was very welcoming , friendly and attentive to us, as were other family members we met during our stay. We would definately stay there again and recommend it to anyone looking for a B and B in Stranraer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We only stayed for the one night as we were travelling to Belfast the following morning but we were very impressed in the short time we were there. We were made to feel very welcome by Marilyn whose house was absolutely immaculate with beautiful furniture throughout. Although the building is situated within a 5 minute walk of the town centre there is sufficient parking available within 100 yards. Nothing was too much hassle for our host and although we were leaving very early there was more than enough breakfast on offer to set us up for the next leg of our trip.

I would recommend The Old Manse to anyone and will definitely stay for longer the next time I am there.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My husband and I overnighted at The Old Manse in June the night before a ferry to Ireland. Marilyn, our host was kind enough to pick us up from our bus stop in Stranraer and bring us to her lovely home, just a few minutes away. We were given the front bedroom with the lovely bay windows. The room was comfortable and loaded with period furnishings. We had he best B&B breakfast of our two week trip at the Old Manse, including a bowl of fresh berries, wonderful rhubarb yogurt, eggs, sausage, a delicious flat bread, and more. Marilyn was also kind enough to deliver us to the Stena Line Ferry terminal in Cairnryan the following morning. We appreciated the small treasures found throughout the house, incuding the beautiful old glass bottles in various window ledges and nooks. In admiring them, Marilyn offered for us to take a few home. Her hospitality was outstanding. A very pleasant overnight stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TrueSkyeBlue
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I stayed at the Old Manse for 2 nights, once on the way to Ireland and again on my return. The accommodation is wonderful and the proprietor Marilyn was really welcoming and helpful, I loved the building and the interior is fabulous. Breakfast was superb, I had the full Scottish and it virtually kept me going all day, wonderful. I have stayed at many B&B's in Stranraer but this is by far the best. (It's also very close to the Ryan centre, so I managed to get a swim before breakfast which was invigorating and a great added bonus)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leod B
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed with Marilyn, Bill and Nick on the first night of a 3wk visit to Scotland-what a wonderful way to start out. They were warm and so welcoming, going out of their way to accommodate us with parking, dinner location suggestions, local beer favorites, and a delightful room/comfortable bed/spacious bathroom. We look forward to visiting again-one night in Stranraer and at this B&B was not long enough!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leslie S
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed at the Old Manse with me eleven year old daughter and parents on the 1st June before embarking on the ferry to Belfast. What a lovely place to stay and really convenient for the ferry. I cann't rate our stay highly enough. We were welcomed like old friends. Marilyn and her family are so lovely, we had a warm welcome from the moment we arrived. Marilyn is attentive but so easy going and nothing is too much trouble for her or the family. The rooms are beautiful and tea / coffee / biscuits / water provided. The bedrooms are huge with big comfortable beds, the bathroom clean and a delight. The breakfast the next day was again perfect with a vast choice and again nothing was too much trouble. My only complaint is that we didn't stay there long enough! One night was not enough and we certainly intend to visit again. Thanks for making our stay so fab we really appreciated all your familys kindness. I would highly recommend this as a great place to stay. (p.s our daughter is following Toms blog and loving it! )

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nickbblue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
Craignelder Hotel
0 mi away
Fernlea Guest House
Fernlea Guest House
#6 of 25 in Stranraer

Been to The Old Manse Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!