“excellent all round”
Review of Craignelder Hotel

Craignelder Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stranraer
Reviewed 2 July 2014

my husband and I had our ruby wedding celebration here on 28th june 22 guests from the service meal to our guests accommodation everything was 100% I could not have asked for a better night special thanks to Kelly Karin dougie and Massimo your staff are to be commended well done hammy x

There are newer reviews for Craignelder Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just returned to england after a two night stay.
I would highly recommend this hotel to all and sundry.
Excellent service, polite staff, very polite owner.
I along with my father and brother were in Stranraer for my uncle's funeral, the staff were aware of this as we were having the wake on the Tuesday.
The Buffet was outstanding.
Rooms were spotless, could do with a little extra toiletries in the bathroom.
We sampled the menu, Lamb, I have never tasted better.
Breakfast, you do not have to eat for the rest of the day.
Stay at this hotel and you will be very happy and full.

Room Tip: Sea view is always an advantage
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Went for an evening meal with family that knew the restaurant well and highly recommended it. I must admit the place is very popular with locals and the food was delicious. I had the pate starter, highly recommend that to anyone. Although like all pate dishes they never give you enough oatcakes. I had the macaroni cheese for my main and I would like to warn people that this is a hearty meal, I could not finish it. They allowed us to order a starter from the A la carte menu and the rest from their 'specials' menu which was good of them. My husband had the chicken and he said it was very dry so he was a bit disappointed with that. All in all it was a good restaurant and we would probably go back if we were treating ourselves. I thought the bill was a bit hefty given we also had a voucher to use. Next time I will check the bill very carefully.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner Came here on Sunday after our drive from portpatrick, a friend said it was good so decided to give it a try and she wasn't wrong. the food and staff were great we will definitely be back..

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have been several times recently to the Craignelder for a meal and was never dissapointed. It has recently been taken over by a son (Hammy) of the McMillan Hotel dynasty (The North West Castle is next door) and since he has taken over and wisely kept on the recently employed Masimo Lisi of the now closed L'Aperatif restaurant for his welcome and determination to please you plus his expertise in cocktail making (previuos world champion I believe) it has got a whole lot better and it was good before. Pay it a visit you won't be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Get a cocktail
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CCCC67
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Food on menu varied, spoiled for choice, really good and tasty on both occassions and reasonably priced, service efficient even although restaurant very busy, cheery staff and new owner very attentive. Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Had a lovely evening meal here with friends.Lovely surroundings with a good choice of menu and reasonably priced.Staff were very friendly and more than attentive.Though restaurant was very busy service was quick.Could not fault the food in any way.What I would have liked was to have a jug of water on the table and also to have been given a fork along with the spoon for the dessert, otherwise it would have been hard to find fault with this place.Wishing the new owners every success .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
North West Castle Hotel
Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel
Glenapp Castle
Glenapp Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballantrae

Been to Craignelder Hotel? Share your experiences!