“Lovely hotel with dated charm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of North West Castle Hotel

North West Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Stranraer
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with dated charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend visiting friends in Stranraer. Lovely facade as you drive up to the hotel, and lovely reception and dining room. Check in was friendly and when we got to our rooms pleasantly surprised!

Large, clean and with lovely little sitting area aswell. The bathroom was clean and the shower fantastic!! The bedroom itself was dated but it suited the building and wasn't done tackily. It really was a dated charm to the rooms and the hotel overall.

Breakfast was great. It was an a la carte breakfast - we both had the castle grill with sausage, egg, tattie scone, bacon, black pudding and tomato. There was also a small selection of cereal, fruit and yogurt and the pot of coffee was also fab!

On checking out we were greeted by the much talked about Mr Macmillan, the owner of the chain! The hotel may not be the most modern but the decor, staff, and management all give it that locally run, über customer orientated feel almost like staying in someone's home!

The only bad points were that the hotel unfortunately overlooks the old stena line terminal which is an eye sore for the whole town and not just the hotel. We forgot to put our "please make my room" card on the door and our room didn't get cleaned - not an issue I've ever experienced before but technically our fault. The seagulls are also very vocal each morning but obviously not something the hotel can do anything about!

Lovely weekend stay overall.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank matta355

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Morpeth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel was booked for us by our daughter as a surprise overnight stay en route to Ireland.This saved us from making an early morning drive to catch the ferry from Cairnryan which ,conveniently, is no more than a 10 minute drive from the hotel.The hotel itself is a touch oldy worldy but is very comfortable and the staff very welcoming and attentive.We had dinner and breakfast and both were served at the table ,as opposed to buffet arrangements,and both meals were excellent.Waiting staff were very efficient and provided what I would call real old fashioned service.
All in all an excellent nights rest which admirably suited our travel arrangements.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on front of hotel overlooking bay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bill t
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The 1970 rooms let this lovely hotel down. I have stayed in luxurious rooms and not paid as much. Needs revamped and brought into 2014. No duvets??!! Old worn furniture, original hairdryer and trouser press etc. I thought I was in a time warp! Very overpriced

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Lizzielm
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I now there are people who are not bothered by this but here goes The room I stayed in gad cobwebs with spiders dangling. The windows were the old type that you pull down to close which kept banging in the night leading to an awful nights rest. Every corner of the room had dust. The mirrors were not cleaned. The kettle had coffee stains from the previous occupiers maybe even from the mettle was bought (the kettles also have dust settled on top) I accidentally spilled some water before having to rush out,came back it was still there! They literally just change the sheets and towels which I suppose is all one needs but when you add that to tbe outdated decor of the entire place...
On the plus side-the receptionists are lovely and so is the restaurant staff.
The food is really nice and that is the only reason I would recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank honestly12
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hammy McMillan and his family have developed an impressive range of stately-homes-turned-luxury hotels in the southwest of Scotland---and the success of the properties can directly be traced to the jewel in the crown (where it all began): North West Castle Hotel in Stranraer. My wife and I were privileged to stay at North West Castle for two nights in conjunction with a 450-mile Harley ride around the Scottish Borders and southwest Scotland. Although we were traveling with little wardrobe variations (jeans, biker shirts, leather jackets, and Harley boots), we never felt odd, unwelcomed, or the object of scorn. On the contrary, from the moment we arrived at North West Castle Hotel we found the entire staff---whether McMillan family members or not---to be warm, gracious, attentive, and focused on making the stay of any visitors an exceptional experience. The original building itself, dating from about 1819, has been renovated and tastefully expanded to provide a perfect weekend getaway---and even HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, has enjoyed the hospitality of this 3-star hotel. The rooms are all extremely spacious, comfortably decorated, and inviting---with large bathrooms as well. The carpets are clean and fresh, the thoughtful inclusion daily of bottle of sparkling or still water (at no charge) is thirst-quenching, and the tea/coffee-making facilities replenished daily with tasty bisquits (cookies for Americans) to accompany a hot beverage. If the beauty of the surrounding countryside is not enough to thrill and amuse visitors, they can also enjoy the hotel's indoor pool and (during the November-April season) Europe's only ice curling rink inside a hotel! Breakfast daily offers a range of cereals, fruits, juices, and fully cooked options---all expertly prepared and served h-o-t! Small luncheon options are available in the bar at midday, and dinner is served in the dining/ball room with the same freshness, quality, and presentation as all other meals. There is actually little reason to leave the North West Castle Hotel except for sightseeing in the vicinity! Did I mention the bar? It is situated in a room containing a original 17th-century mural depicting a scene from one of the many voyages of the original owner--Admiral Ross of HM Royal Navy.

When my wife took ill, preventing us from departing on our original checkout date---hotel staff quickly arranged a continuation of our same room for an additional night, and enquired periodically throughout the day as to my wife's health and any needs or requests we might have to ensure our comfort.

We were fortunate enough to actually meet and converse with the founder of the McMillan hotels group---octogenarian Hammy (Hamilton) McMillan, a true visionary and pioneer of top-quality boutique hotels in historic buildings. As we told Hammy . . . the entire stay at North West Castle Hotel was sheen joy---from the customer service of the staff, the comfort of the accommodation, and the quality of the food and drink! We WILL be back many times!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms look at over the harbour (harbor for Americans) and Loch Ryan, proving fantastic...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Third time we have visited this hotel. Room very clean and tidy. Staff very friendly. Food out of this world, highly recommended. Had a front facing room with nice view of the loch tho the dilapidated stena terminal does not do any favours. Can't wait till next time

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darren L
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am afraid this is going to be an all-out rave review. I stayed here on business. From the moment the porter met me at reception and helped me with my luggage I knew this was going to be special. Then a truly lovely room, en suite, a proper bath, large, glorious view over Loch Ryan, free wi-fi. A swimming pool to relax in. Every little touch was thought of - a trouser press, the kettle already filled up..the staff, mostly very young locals, all attentive and cheerful. The bar is this extraordinary old replica ships cabin and the drawing room! The lounge! Paintings, rich decor, sheer luxury. And the best saved to last, a truly wonderful breakfast in a banqueting room with my table at the window looking over to the sea. Delicious, too - kippers with toast, coffee and fried tomato, and I could have had anything at all I asked for. I really loved it. This is one of the most characterful hotels I have ever stayed in, it ranks with Eriska and the Londonderry Arms and it is so cheap, £59 B & B. A national treasure. I shall be back, and quickly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JoefromPartick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
Craignelder Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballantrae
The Downshire Hotel
The Downshire Hotel
#5 of 5 in Portpatrick

Been to North West Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!