“Clean basic and friendly”
Review of The Thistle Inn

The Thistle Inn
and 1 more site!
The Thistle Inn
Ranked #21 of 25 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Went to the thistle for short stay while visiting for a family reunion and football match after reading some reviews I went with an open mind - firstly the chalet style rooms maybe are not designer decorated but clean and comfortable they are my brother and friend all stayed there with no complaints - staff friendly breakfast was ideal cereal hot drinks and egg and toast not a massive choice but ideal - would I stay again YES i would - the bar is good as well - don't be put of if you want basic clean friendly accommodation you will be fine go and enjoy :0)

1  Thank tilly62

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here a number of years ago when a group of us travelled over for a friendly football game against the local team. On deciding to visit the town again, it made sense to go back to the Thistle as we'd been made so welcome last time.

Things were much as I remembered. Sandra and Sandy remembered us from our last trip and made us feel very much at home.

The Chalets are basic but clean which is all we ask for. The bathroom was a bit of a squeeze but again it was clean.

The only downside was that since we were last there, they no longer serve a cooked breakfast. There was a self service bit with croissants, butter, jam, cheese and bread for toasting. Tea and coffee along with scrambles/poached or fried eggs were cooked to order.

The entertainment was great fun, especially the karaoke on Saturday night. Sandra, Sandy and Freida certainly earned their crust as it was really busy.

All in all, we were quite happy with our lot and fully intend to visit again in February next year along with some friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank d0nir
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We arranged this place at the last minute - I wish that I had done more reading! Where to start? How about when we arrived to book in and found the landlady using an industrial grade Hoffman presser doing her bedding. Not a good first immpression!

The room as OK and clean but Jan didn't sleep at all that night (Monday 19th August). I did simply becuase I was tired out by the time we arrived. The bath room was small, tight and had a mixed bathroom suite - like a pink loo with a white seat! Towels, one so-called bath towel and one hand towel, of different patterns. A second bath towel was provided as was a blanket for Jan because the duvet was too small. The advertised wi-fi wasn't working. The biggest shock was breakfast!!!

We were asked if we wanted an egg, I said a fried egg. Fine, except that I didn't get a fried breakfast, I got two fried eggs on a plate. The lass who did them claimed it is was a continental breakfast - as mentioned on the iinternet. I've looked and can't find any mention of it. Anyway, every other continental breakfast I've seen offers crosssiant, a selction of sliced meats and cheeses. I've never seen one that offers fried eggs as well. Not only that we were expected to make our own drinks and toast. The lass who was there to welcome us into the dinning room, the old luong of the pub, was the landylady's 12 year old daughter.

The area the pub is in looks a really rough place and perhaps the owners are trying to fit in with the suroundings, I don't know. One this for sure is that we will not be staying there again, ever!!!

Room Tip: God awful place! Find somewhere else!
3  Thank bitzer59
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Good value for money B&B. We wouldn't normally have stayed in this B&B , but being a last minute booking we couldn't find another. We read the reviews and thought oh no, what have we let ourselves in for. Well we were pleasantly surprised, the room was large, clean and the decor was nice. Frieda was lovely, especially with our children. Breakfast was good. Excellent location for the ferry. Overall it was good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the family rooms, they are huge.
Reviewed 2 August 2013

In 50 years of business and personal travel, this is the first time I've had to ASK for soap to be put in the room! (The reason was that I was "travelling light", with only the basics, on a 1-night stay for a family funeral.)
The rooms are set, chalet-style, to the rear of a (closed) pub.
Very basic, clean accommodation - twin room with small shower cubicle, loo and basin across rear of room.
Breakfast was a vaguely surrealistic experience, set in what had been the Lounge of the pub and taken care of by a willing local lady.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Hogmanay1
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Me and my partner were attending my friends wedding in Stranraer so we thought get a bnb in the centre of town on arrival no one was there to greet us even though we stated what time we would be there at so she came and let us in the chalet the room was basic 1 double bed n 1 single bed the bed was springy which was uncomfortable the tv was tiny the shower was boggin the first morning I was up at 5am cause the room was freezing cold we got up for breakfast I thought I was going to get a fri up but I got offerd eggs ?? I mean what the hell I paid £120 for 2 nights n I don't even get a decent breakfast so I ate the MANKY eggs n wanted a glass of water which the lady gave me the glass bottom was brown as if it was used as an ash try I wasn't happy nearly spewed my ringer so the next day I decided enough was enough and went to a cafe n left that terrible place DO NOT STAY HERE !

• Stayed: May 2013
7  Thank Rabkeys
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We arrived at the hotel after a 5 hour journey with an 8 month old baby and 2 other young children. We had booked a family room and ensured the hotel was 'pet friendly' as we had our dog with us also. Upon arrival, a member of staff rang through to the owner as she was unsure where we were staying. The owner at best can be described as terribly rude! I was made to speak to her on the phone where she denied informing me the hotel was pet friendly (web site stated it was but I had enquired over the phone at the time of booking to be certain). She was awful to me on the phone and when I enquired as to whether or not she was going to allow us to stay I was rather abruptly told to put the other lady back on the phone! We were shattered and the baby had had enough. Eventually we were told we would be allowed to stay. Interestingly another couple were sat in the 'bar' (a gloomy room at best) having the exact same problem.

I would question the websites accuracy in its claims of great hospitality! We would certainly NEVER stay again!

• Stayed: August 2012