“Average”

Cross Haven Guest House
Cross Haven Guest House
Ranked #11 of 25 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here as my usual stop over was fully booked. Room was ok if a little tired, location was within walking distance of a very good pub/restaurant. As I was away early, before breakfast, I asked for a packed breakfast. Very disappointing, I would have preferd if they had said no and knocked the price of breakfast off my bill. Would look else where if my usual is full again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
BandBStranraer, Owner at Cross Haven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

I'm sorry but there seems to have been a misunderstanding or miscommunication here. For early departures we normally offer an early self service breakfast or a reduced room only rate. On this occasion I got the impression that you preferred a packed breakfast as this is what you specifically asked for. It was requested at very short notice and you were informed that what we could offer would be restricted by limited availability and you accepted that quite happily. I am disappointed that you did not make your feelings clear at the time as this could have easily been sorted.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

If your looking for a Guest house to stay in when you get on or off the ferry at Cairnryan this is the one. Friendly and warm welcome, very clean and comfortable rooms and excellent breakfast, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
BandBStranraer, Owner at Cross Haven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and thanks also for your positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back at Cross Haven some time in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the one night as I had a college course the next morning.
Pleasant check in . Nice room , clean & warm. Quiet apart from the fan in the bathroom .
Decent breakfast & nice coffee .
Carpark out the back .
All in all a pleasant stay with a nice couple running the place.

• Stayed: April 2013
BandBStranraer, Owner at Cross Haven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you for your very positive comments and we are really pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit. We would appreciate hearing your reasons for not giving us a top rating though. How could we have improved your stay?

Reviewed 1 October 2012

The accommodation is excellent and very homely. The descriptions were absolutely accurate, leaving no nasty surprises for my mother, who does have mobility problems. She thoroughly enjoyed her stay. My husband & I could have spent the entire time browsing the book collection! Mick & Gayle's home is lovely, the beds were very comfortable and the breakfasts were a wonderful start to the day.

Room Tip: Ground floor room suitable for guest with impaired mobility.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
BandBStranraer, Owner at Cross Haven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Cross Haven. I know guests with mobility difficulties have concerns and questions about the suitability of a property and we are always happy to give any additional information needed to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Cross Haven some time in the future.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed at Cross Haven for 2 nights last week over the Bank Holiday (Aug 2012) and I must say I couldn't find fault with it (not that I was looking!) The room was perfect, clean and comfortable. The garden is very well looked after. The owners are Gayle and Mick and are from Yorkshire and they certainly know what they are doing. The building is a former convent, next door to a church and although on a main road it was very quiet. There is ample parking behind the house. Gayle and Mick serve up a fabulous, good quality breakfast. Our room had it's own private bookcase! We will certainly visit again and I can highly recommended Cross Haven. A visit to Portpatrick is an absolute must :-)

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, there are 4. We stayed in Room 3 at the front of the property.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
BandBStranraer, Owner at Cross Haven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Thank you very much for your positive review of our property. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found so much of interest in our beautiful area. It's good to see that people appreciate the garden too... Mick spends a lot of time tending to it. I hope also that you had a good journey home and a good catch up with the old friend you were going to visit on the way. Sorry I wasn't able to say goodbye before you left but look forward to welcoming you back to Cross Haven in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We spent three nights at Cross Haven. This is that sort of family business hotel we like. Cosy and clean rooms, well equipped with teas, coffees etc, nice breakfasts served by the owner, and, what's very important for us, quiet nights (we spend quite a few nights at other Scottish hotels and, well, it is not as it used to be once - more and more people behave badly during the night) - we could sleep without any problem. I recommend Cross Haven strongly, not only for one night for Ireland travelers.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
BandBStranraer, Owner at Cross Haven Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thank you for your very positive review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Cross Haven and got some good quiet nights sleep. I am sorry that we couldn't do much about the weather while you were here but I know you love Scotland and it's not likely to put you off returning. I hope you had a good return journey to Poland and look forward to welcoming you back at Cross Haven in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

First stop of our tour of Scotland. A lovely building and a good location for our plans. Unfortunately on our night there family were having a party...we are deep sleepers and did not trouble us...might if you were a lighter sleeper and just had a feeling we were intruding . Breakfast is a big part of the experience and there was no offer of more tea or toast....but otherwise a nice breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012

We are disappointed that you didn't feel welcome in our home as we work hard to make all guests feel valued and comfortable at all times. The decision to hold the party was made after you had made your booking and I didn't want to put you to the inconvenience of finding alternative accommodation. With hindsight that was probably a mistake and for that we are sorry I would like to point out that the family party was an afternoon BBQ to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, our youngest son's 21st, our other son's first wedding anniversary and our daughter's birthday. It was also a chance to say farewell to my daughter who was leaving the country to start a new life in China. Not the sort of thing we are inclined to do every day. It was also held in a private part of the garden well away from guest bedrooms and was over by 10pm in consideration of guests.
As for your disappointing breakfast, tea,coffee, toast, orange juice etc are unlimited at Cross Haven and I am sorry that you didn't feel that you could ask for more if I inadvertently omitted to offer it. I hope you enjoyed the vegetarian sausages that you requested prior to your arrival.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
North West Castle Hotel
#3 of 25 in Stranraer
Marine House Hotel
Marine House Hotel
#4 of 25 in Stranraer

Been to Cross Haven Guest House? Share your experiences!