“Big boots to fill but doing their own way”

The Blue Peter Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stranraer
The Blue Peter Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Stranraer B&B and Inns
Stranraer, United Kingdom
“Big boots to fill but doing their own way”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

It's not all change in the Blue Peter, still has good real ale, still does good pub grub that is cheap as chips. Ian and Ruth are gone but the new owners are working hard to make a good pub better. We enjoyed chicken and chips and vegetarian lasagne, both were excellent, huge portions and value for money. The three pints of real ale went down very well, thanks Alan & Jackie.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2013

The hotel changed hands at the right time as it was going down hill and even local residents had stopped attending. New owners have brought ideas, but in a group of 12 of us, all locals, returning to the pub for a meal and some drinks, all booked well in advance, the overall opinion was poor.
Some people had eaten their entire main course, before others arrived. Ran out of two of the 5 main course options. New owners never came across and asked for feedback. All 12 of us gave them a chance and have not returned to eat. There is nothing else in the area, so for a single night stay, it gets by. Really need to up their game and put on the heating, in winter !

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mepbbhond
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We arrived on Fri 22nd March in the midst of a blizzard. The hospitality that we received was outstanding. The owners accommodated any requests we made. Due to the adverse weather conditions we were unable to leave the hotel til late in the afternoon. The hotel provided us with a fantastic breakfast (and lunch at no extra cost) all served in a cosy lounge with a roaring fire. We will definitely return again.

Maurice, Margaret and Hazel. N. Ireland

• Stayed March 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

A small Hotel, but has a lot to offer. Great Food (esp the hand cut chips) resonably priced. Nice atmosphere. Friendly owners.Real Ale. Open Log Fire.

What else could one want. I would recommend that you give this place a try when visiting the area.

I did not stay in the hotel, but thay do have a few bedrooms. You would be made most welcolme

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Stranraer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I visited The Blue Peter Hotel a couple of times over the last weekend, 5/6th April 2013. There was a mini beer festival taking place with three real ales on tap all in good condition and at a reasonable price. On the Saturday visit I, along with my partner and two friends, enjoyed food as well as the beers. Between us we ordered fish and chips, a steak and ale pie, a meat and potato pie and a ham and cheese salad.All agreed that the food was excellent with good portions and all served at the right temperature. The atmosphere was good and all comers were made very welcome by hosts Alan and Jackie, although Jackie only managed a brief appearance as she was busy in the kitchen. You may have to wait for your food a little longer than you may be used to but thats because all the food is freshly cooked. That is to say not 'home' cooked which translates as 'bought in frozen and reheated' but freshly made on the premises, even the chips. It's no wonder that the fish and chips seems to be the most popular dish, real chips and fish cooked to perfection in real ale beer batter. I have eaten here more times since last December than I probably did in the last couple of years.I am now looking forward to trying the steak because it now comes with chips, steak and potato wedges never did do it for me. A take out service is available too which is great for those living in the village although word has spread and our neighbouring villagers have been taking advantage too.
Since taking over in December 2012 Alan and Jackie have certainly made their mark, with a warm welcome, a new extensive menu, a take away service and almost weekly improvements to the pub itself. It's a pleasure to visit now and the only problem I can forsee is the place getting too busy as it would certainly be worth travelling from Stranraer to.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Kirkcolm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Just been to the Blue Peter for another excellent meal. I had the roast beef Sunday lunch which came in a very generous portion , was delicious and unlike an earlier reviewer has said, nice and warm, as the food has always been in my experience since the present owners took over. On the subject of warmth, I have to say there was a roaring log fire going, giving a very pleasant environment in which to eat and drink. The real ale was poured to perfection and a very nice pint it was too.
I have eaten here more times now in the past four months than I have done in the previous 4 years and I can highly recommend the steak which is cooked perfectly to whichever way you desire. I have to say as well that it is nice to have a choice of the full menu now on a Sunday rather than the roast beef/take it or leave it as previously. It is also good that chips are on the menu now as well if you so desire and we're talking the real McCoy, home prepared chips here not frozen produce, which goes for the rest of the food as well from what I've seen from the meals that I have had.
It is refreshing to see somewhere that actually does good, simple, home cooked freshly prepared food in a very friendly, relaxed environment provided by Alan and Jackie, who are very welcoming and friendly hosts.
And not a burned potato wedge, shoe leather beef or out of a frozen packet food to be had unlike some fare I've had elsewhere.
Even if The Blue Peter wasn't my local it is somewhere I'd be happy to travel to to enjoy good food, good beer and good company.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Stranraer
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Having read the post below from Jadec01, I feel I have to give my personal views on the Blue Peter Hotel. Alan and Jackie took over in November last year and have transformed the hotel into a place where local's and visitors alike are made to feel welcome again. Although only having been resident for the past four and a half months, they have brightened up the lounge by changing the colour of the decor and even have lightbulbs that work!!! The hotel is now fully licenced for entertainment as well. The menu has been revamped to include "home" cooked food and proper chips, hand cut by Jackie. The menu is being added to all the time, with a childrens menu available, I can recommend the fish and chips. Carry out meals are also available, which saves locals a fourteen mile round trip to Stranraer. All beer pumps have been changed and real ale is still available, only yesterday the local "CAMERA" members were in for the mini beer festival and were very impressed at the condition of the real ales on offer. Already the darts team has been encouraged back after a season away, playing at another venue.
The owners in my experience are very friendly and I for one wish them every success in the future, we now have a pub to be proud of again!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ScottBaillie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stranraer
Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel
#3 of 6 in Cairnryan
Thornbank House
Thornbank House
#1 of 24 in Stranraer

Been to The Blue Peter Hotel? Share your experiences!