“An unexpected treat”

Price range: US$5 - US$8
Cuisines: Scottish, International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: ReadingLasses has new owners and opened its doors on 25th July 2015 after a total refurbishment. We are still a bookshop specialising in Women's Studies and a tearoom with the same wonderful staff preparing and serving great food. We particularly specialize in great coffee and homebakes. Come and relax in our cosy lounge and read a book or sample our homemade scones and baking in our middle café or lunch in the rear café.
SCOTLAND
“An unexpected treat”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Looking around Wigtowns Bookshops we just happened to find a bookshop that serves good meals and good beer.
A very good menu offering Vegetarian and vegan dishes delicious home baking and home made soups made from home grown or locally sourced ingredients.
The staff were very helpful, pleasant and cheery.
The Smoked Tofu wraps, Hominy pies and soups were excellent.
Pleasant surroundings and of course plenty of books to browse through afterwards.
So impressed we returned a second time during the week.

Yorkshire
“The perfect way to spend some time”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Reading Lasses is a cafe in the centre of Wigtown,

At first glance it is hard to say whether it is a bookshop or cafe but actually it is both. At one stage there was a strong women's section but this time that seems to have disappeared which is a shame.

There is a good selection of snacks ( try the rocky road cake) and meals. There is no pressure, so you can spend time browsing the books with a cup of something.

Visited May 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice café”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Popped in for lunch on a visit to Wigtown. Friendly staff and the food was great. Home cooked and comforting – I had an excellent pea and ham soup and a tremendous mac and cheese. Would recommend.

Derbyshire
“Don't miss it.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Went for coffee this week. The staff were great. Wigtown is holding a festival during May to promote books and whiskey, this little book shop and cafe had a huge selection of Scottish whiskey and I ended up have in a small tot with my coffee and a lot of laughs. We always go here when we holiday in Scotland and this little gem never disappoints us. Oh I did buy a book as well.

Visited May 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Wanted it to be great”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Have been in looking at books in the past and seemed like a good place to eat. However the soup was a bit bland and the cheese sandwich was very basic, I expected good quality hand cut bread and I think it was a brown sliced. From reading about the place I expected better quality and the cost suggested better quality. Coffee was good. The service was also good, however I sat in front of the crime section talking about books I was looking for and at no point did the girl at the counter, next to the table mention that there were lots more books in another building behind this one.
There is no mention of more books in the cafe and not until I went onto their website was I aware of this fact. It is a bit odd to have people leaning over trying to look at books when you are eating, think next time I will stick to coffee and books and not food. Would have liked a cake but only seems to have tray bakes on the day we were in.

• Visited May 2014
ReadingLassesWigtown, Owner at ReadingLasses, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hello Jayne
I'm so sorry you were disappointed when you came to visit us. You ar right that the bread has been a bit of a challenge. The bread you mention is made locally (in Stranraer) but we have been experimenting recently with our own soda breads with the soups. Our loval butcher/baker has invested heavily in bread tins that should work for our sandwiches so we are hopefully that that will be better. The cheese is made very locally - Galloway Cheddar. I so wish we had known that the soup tasted bland. I think that is a first because we are so utterly proud of our soup - the veg out of our garden or from Creetown. Your post is on 3rd May when we had homemade blueberry cheesecake, almond cake (GF), homemade brownie (GF) and St Clements Sponge, as well as the tray baking. None of the staff can remember a single day when there wasn't at least 2 of those on the shelf? Our unreserved apologies and if you come back we will gladly give you your lunch on us. This place is about people coming to just 'be' and fell cared for and clearly you didn't feel that.... so iur unreserved apologies and if you come back we will gladly give you your lunch on us - that's the least we can do.
The Hut is indeed full with around 20000 books, including the 'Women's Room'. I honestly don't know how to signpost it any better - but I will try. I am thinking of a big banner on the gable end of this World War 2 telephone switchboard used at the practice site in Burrowhead. Its historical in its own right and worth a visit. Our warmest wishes to you and hope we might see you another time.