“Margaret David SAFC Wonderful Experience”

Ledgowan Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Achnasheen
Durham, United Kingdom
“Margaret David SAFC Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

I booked my husband this as a Christmas present, as he wanted to do some shooting and dear stalking.This beautiful old hunting lodge has lots of great atmosphere as soon as you open the front door.With hunting trophies ,stags heads,and a big open fire which I loved. We had a very large room at the front of the hotel.The views of the hills is breathtaking,in our room on arrival was a large bottle of champagne and two glasses that was me sorted.My husband did two days dear stalking which he loved,which thank you to Richard as the weather on the first day was very bad but he still took him out. If you are wanting a relaxing,peaceful getaway then this is the place to stay. We had a fantastic time and the service and the food exceeded our expectations in every way (And we'll definitely will be back ) Thank you to all

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dingwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My wife booked a weekend here as we wanted to visit friends nearby. We’ve passed the hotel on many occasions over the years but never stopped.

We arrived at 4.30pm on a Friday afternoon, checked in and were shown to our room overlooking the front of the hotel. We had paid to upgrade to the larger, more spacious room with lovely furniture, in keeping with the Edwardian building and abundant stags’ heads.

Slight concern at no towels in the room. This is sorted very quickly and with apologies. Four pale blue towels which have seen better days and intriguingly all have the label “Manufactured for SHELL”. Mmmmm....also no bath mat supplied, but a fine collection of nuts and bolts, keys and assorted rubbish in the dresser drawers...

Downstairs for our Afternoon Tea, consisting of a very good fruit scone, served with a tiny blob of jam and some kind of sweetened artificial tasting 'cream'. Nice to sit in front of the open fire though. The hotel lobby is impressive with a wood burning stove set inside a wonderful stone fireplace….does beg the question as to why bother with the stove and not just use the fireplace? Comfortable chairs and sofas contribute to the classic ambience - which was spoiled by the rather incongruous collection of what can only be described as 'charity shop' items for sale in the beautiful wooden cabinets ; dinky toys, brooches, picture frames, rings, watches, chipped china, Monarch of the Glen cushion covers, Concorde cufflinks etc.. The list is too bizarre to continue.

On to the evening meal…….choice of bar supper or restaurant. To cut a long story short we ended up in the restaurant which has eight tables (I know this because each table had a two foot high sign with its table number on it). Beautiful, traditional silver set table, mixed with cheap chrome vases and plastic flowers, do not sit well together...

With the ambience set we then enjoyed starters of smoked venison (very good), breast of wood pigeon (unfortunately had the texture of having been embalmed), followed by a rare steak which was not rare, but ok, and duck breast which was pretty much inedible. I must say that the beautifully cooked fresh beetroot was the best thing on the plate.

After a peaceful night we ventured back to the dining room for breakfast, easily finding our table thanks to the huge sign with its number on it. We ordered the cooked breakfast and unfortunately experienced the worst, cheap sausages I have ever encountered. Bacon, eggs and fried bread were fine as were the tinned mushrooms (if you like tinned mushrooms).

Evening meal on the second night; burnt pastry on the steak and ale pie and uncooked pastry on the game pie. Not good. Choice of chips OR veg with the bar meal which are not exactly cheap either) or you could have both, for an extra charge....

Overall this is a beautiful hotel with incredible potential. It markets itself as an upmarket country hotel and certainly could be that with some more effort. It is let down by some poor taste in terms of décor, staff in need of training and a considerable amount of work in the kitchen.

It was also disappointing on checking out that no one asked us if we had enjoyed our stay or looked for any other comments.

Would I go back? Yes, to see if anyone has bought anything out of the charity cabinets!

Room Tip: Go for one of the bigger rooms. An upgrade is worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DonaldMurdo
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I went with my vegetarian partner for an evening meal on 06 October 2013. We were amazed to find that on the specials board at least four of the options were vegetarian. Not bog standard vegetarian food either, but a varied menu. We both ordered a vegetarian option and both options were really good. This is a hotel that caters a lot for shooting clients, and I might have anticipated a very carnivorous menu. If you are not put off by stuffed deer heads, this place is spotless, friendly staff, has nice surroundings and is surprisingly good for vegetarians, a realtive rarity in Highland Scotland. My only moan was that as the bar was empty we wanted to sit at a table which catered for four. We were asked not to and then a few minutes later another couple occupied the same table, but were not asked to relocate.

Room Tip: Didn't stay overnight.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IAMacdonald
Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The bunkhouse has received some pretty damning reviews in the past, especially one dated March 2011). However, don't be put off. We stayed at the bunkhouse from 16th-19th July 2013 and found it perfectly acceptable by bunkhouse standards. Standards of cleanliness were fine and the toilet and kitchen facilities were perfectly acceptable (apart from the lack of small cooking pans in the kitchen which seems to be a common failing in bunkhouses). Perhaps we were fortunate that it was quiet. I can imagine it would be very different if there were a lot of campers present trying to use the facilities, but otherwise no problem.

Room Tip: Probably best to check whether there is a large party of campers on site before booking. If not then...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank graham p
seattle
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I took 3 weeks to tour Scotland without any set plans. We had no idea where we would lodge on our way north. We stumbled across the Ledgowan Lodge Hotel as dusk was approaching. How lucky for us that we did. I absolutely loved the ambiance, the quiet whispers of a time gone by. The food was wonderful and the breakfast room was stunning. Our room was quiet, clean, comfortable with a lovely decor. I wish we could have stayed longer however it will go on my list to revisit next time I am in the U.K.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Allegra061
Saratoga Springs NY
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This beautiful old hunting lodge just oozes atmosphere the minute you enter the front door and see all the hunting trophies, sweeping staircase and overstuffed furniture.

We were here for a late lunch and the lunch room although fairly small was excellently appointed and had a small bar. The pate was delicious, as was the tuna pannini.

Service was quick and efficient as well as being friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 22man
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Two of us stayed in the bunkhouse over a weekend for walking. I’ve got nothing to compare the bunkhouse too, this being my first stay in one. It was more than I expected though, it being comfortably warm, adequate sized beds and two chairs and a sink. The shower room is a good size and the shower was instantly hot and looks new. It is a shame there is only one shower room, we were ok as it wasn’t too busy but I can imagine if you were in a larger group it’d take time for everyone to have their chance to have their go. It's a bit noisy with other people coming and going but I imagine all bunkhouses are like that so it's nothing at fault with the place, just your fellow guests!

The hotel itself is of another era, it has a quality atmosphere too it and a definite old world character. I saw some reviews state ‘no atmosphere’ which I think is quite laughable if you compared somewhere like this to any chain hotel or most standard city hotels. There is no music playing...but you don’t need that when the rush of the wind, the wind chimes etc. are there.

The staff members were very polite and chatty and clearly wanted to help were they could.

Food was very good and I was quite impressed. I had read reviews in advance and saw comments about ‘straight from the freezer’. If they meant the ice cream I would understand it! The meal of burger, salad with a tasty chutney followed by a superbly presented Baked Alaska dessert were all tasty and on par if not better than anything you’d get in a similar establishment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank AlexMacdd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Achnasheen
The Torridon
#1 of 1 in Poolewe
Gairloch Hotel
Gairloch Hotel
#5 of 5 in Gairloch

Been to Ledgowan Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!