“Wonderful experience at Arisaig House”
Review of Arisaig House

and 1 more site!
Arisaig House
Ranked #1 of 5 Arisaig B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have just returned to Oxfordshire from a very enjoyable and relaxing stay of two nights at Arisaig House. The house was recommended and we would certainly return. Sarah who runs the house is charming and nothing is too much trouble for her or any of her staff. The house itself sits in a wonderful location with beautiful views of the loch, if I enjoyed the views in November goodness knows what they would be like on a summer's day!

I have some dietary requirements which I made sure I emailed before our stay and this was dealt with care, professionalism and understanding. We eat dinner at Arisaig each night in a cosy room dressed with charming furnishings, with a large log fire, accompanied by very mellow Scottish music in the background. The food was better than I have experienced in some very costly restaurants or hotels and the attention to detail especially with my dietary requirements was wonderful. You can tell when food is local and fresh and when the cook/chef understands food when they are able to cook food of this quality and variety. Everything was prepared and cooked well and was delicious- and this also included the Scottish breakfast. In fact I found it difficult to choose at breakfast time which is very rare when you have dietary limitations.

The bedroom was very large with twin aspect large windows for a fabulous view of the loch, it also had an extremely comfortable bed, good shower and the sofa and coffee table was a lovely touch to sit and read and enjoy the view.

This is a very different experience to staying in a corporate plastic hotel! If you want a homely, feel, delightful interior design and period furnishings, log fires, personal service and great food in a true Scottish house book Arisaig House - you will not be disappointed!

I had a wonderful time here with friends, and I will certainly return next time with my husband!
It was a pleasure!

Room Tip: Our was a very large room with aspect and fabulous view of the Loch
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The access to Arisaig house is down a very dark thin road which is not signposted or lit. So its as well to look at a map if you are arriving after dark.

There is no clear entrance or reception area. We went to a side door (as it was the only thing lit up) and was greeted by an angry mutt. This was not the best of starts.

Sarah then came out of the door and told us to go through the main entrance. She said she meant to put the light on for us but didn't expect us to show up until later on. To be fair to her, I did tell her we would be arriving later on.

Inside the entrance is lovely. There is an aroma of wood smoke. There are some beautiful antiques and oldy worldy furniture and quite clearly you get the impression there is history in this house.

We were introduced to a younger girl who showed us the various lounges and dining room and bar. Now this all looked great, if you were visiting someone in a country estate, but it didn't have a hotel feel. There was no signs or music or a waiter in sight, or any other guests for that matter. It was empty. It felt strange, like you were in someone else's house. This was not the hotel experience we were looking for.
We were also told that if we wanted to eat we would have to choose off the menu before 8pm and there was no bird on the menu as it takes a few hours for one to cook. So it appeared that we were the only guests.
But the only other main course on the menu was a pasta and salmon dish (not what I fancied) The starters were either soup or something else which I cant quite remember and It appeared that you had to order either 2 or 3 courses from the menu. All I wanted was a bowl of soup. I wasn't prepared to pay 20 odd pounds for two courses I didn't want. This was not a good start at all.

Despite this small set back we decided to give it a go, hoping the feel of the place would improve, but it only went downhill.

We were shown to our room via a set of steps that bore no resemblance to the rest of the house that we had just seen. There were no antiques, no log fires, no wooden panelling here. The carpet was worn and the walls a bit grubby. Surely this cannot be the same place.

Our room was huge, with a strange childs bed at one end and the double bed at the other. The wall paper was coming away near the radiators and there were some areas that were a little tired. The bathroom however was nice and very clean.

I decided to run a bath and de stress. When I did this the water was brown. We were not prepared for this. We also tried to have a glass of water but the cold out of the tap too was brown. There were no signs to say the water was potable and that it was tested by the environment agency and was ok to drink etc etc.

By this time we were quite annoyed and were starting to have those dreaded feelings of do we look for somewhere else....

We decided to see what other accommodation was nearby so we went onto our phones to use the WIFI. This did not work. There was also no phone signal either.

That was the final straw. We decided that we would leave and find somewhere else as this was just not worth £165 a night.

We reluctantly went downstairs to find Sarah but there was no one about. In the end we gave up. Packed our things and left.

We found somewhere else to stay then emailed Sarah and told her that Arisaig House fell well short of our expectations.
To be fair her reply was very apologetic and she was sorry we were not happy.
I guess this place just isn't for some, but I do feel we were mislead by the website.
I would not recommend staying here if you are looking for a romantic getaway, with fluffy slippers, robes, room service and staff to wait on you. Because it really isn't this.

If you are looking for a big old house with some history and no one to bother you during your stay then maybe its for you.

5  Thank traveltigs
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Sarah and her staff are very welcoming with just the right mix of friendliness and efficiency! The house is huge but made homely with lots of lovely furniture and decorations. I loved the wood burner and the lifelike wooden dog sculpture under the coffee table. The water is brown and peaty which appeals to me! We got the train to Beasdale Station where we were picked up and driven the mile to the hotel. This station was built specially for Arisaig House. There is lovely views and walks nearby, with Arisaig village three quarters of an hour's walk away. Our room had four windows facing the front towards the sea - a huge and comfortable one.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is a simply devine place to stay if you are looking for a really relaxing holiday. Sarah and her staff run a really cosy homely house. Nothing ever seems too much trouble and they look after their guests as if they were close friends and or family. The cuisine is perfect, much of it home grown or locally produced. The public rooms all have roaring wood burning stoves surrounded by comfy sofas and chairs, coffee tables with books and mags. to browse through. The bedroom we had was lovely, overlooking the West coast. Can't fault it, we'll go back, great!

1  Thank AMacEdinburgh
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is the perfect place for me for a relaxing break. The countryside is beautiful, the house is lovely, comfortable and welcoming with great views and the food is great. There is an informal feel to the place and you are very well looked after. Also WiFi, TV and good coffee/tea making stuff in the rooms. Lots of books to pick up and read. What more could you want?

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Beautiful house with spectacular views from every room - regardless of the weather. Extremely comfortable beds in spacious rooms, fabulous food (lots from the garden), and a welcome from Sarah that makes you feel like you are house guests. Kids and dog loved it too! Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I visitwed Arasaig House inb the recommendation of my daughter who had enjoyed her stay in July. However, the owner, Sarah was way and her custodian, her young daughter was in charge. She greeted us and was not seen again until I paid the bill. The house was lovely, the bedroom comfortable with a lovely view. Returning to the bedroom the afternoon after our first night stay we found the bed not made and cups not washed,
The food was good but small portions. One rasher of overcooked bacon and the sea bream, main course was no more than 2" long! My husband is a vegetarian and his food was adequate. Poor value for money.
On leaving I remarked on the state of the bedroom to the young girl who had served the meal.
When Kitty appeared she did not mention it . I felt a surge of disgust - paid my bill and resolved to send a letter to her mother.
I mentioned the bedroom, refrained from complaining about the food and commended her on the compliments in the Visitors Book in which I did not write. I expected a call or a letter of apology. No call or letter. I think that is bad and that's why this letter is on Trip Advisor. Do not stay unless Sarah is in charge.

Room Tip: The views from the front of the house are lovely. The bed is excellent and its very peaceful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 603mary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arisaig
Arisaig Hotel
Hotel Eilean Iarmain
West Highland Hotel
West Highland Hotel
#1 of 3 in Mallaig

Been to Arisaig House? Share your experiences!