“wonderful”

Invergarry Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Invergarry
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant attached to a hotel
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“wonderful”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Firstly I was amazed it was open, my mother and I were treated to a very nice meal here. We both had the "All day breakfast" and it was lovely. On top of that we were served by a very nice young lady, nothing was too much trouble. She told us they had been quite busy with passers by and a few were staying too. It was just so nice to relax for a while after quite a lot of driving. The restaurant seemed to me to have been recently refurbished it was very nice and well decorated. We will definitely return another day.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank allanmaciver

Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I trusted my navigator’s guidance. My girlfriend directed me on our road trip to Skye, stopping just past lunchtime at the Invergarry Hotel located in a small town called, believe it or not, Invergarry. Here’s a bizarre fact that you honestly don’t care to know: when you read about places like Edinburgh and Inverness, know that there are more places which sound just like them in Scotland. Fraserburgh, Invergordon, Newburgh.

But today, it’s Invergarry and its namesake hotel, open all year according to its sign, a required disclaimer as we’ll soon discover. We were the only ones in the restaurant this afternoon, guaranteed to elicit maximum attention. The hotel is admittedly, unabashedly, Scottish. Even the carpets are in a tartan. The bathroom doubled as the meat locker…I think. Thankfully, the functional fireplace held an actual fire with actual wood so the dining area was warm this nippy afternoon. The décor was pleasant with numerous fishing poles hanging over scenic landscapes photographed probably just over the hill.

Taking a quick glance at the menu, I immediately felt compelled to order the haggis for a starter, though the dish which arrived looked nothing like what you’d expect, with the desired meat sitting in a deep dish under a roasted onion sauce. Still amazing. And while “the” girlfriend ordered a traditional Scottish breakfast, I tackled the beer battered west coast haddock with homemade tartare (their spelling) sauce, buttered peas & handcut chips.

Now this is going to come as a shock to some, but I’ve never had fish & chips before. Honest to God. I was still not over my fish phobia when I was in England last, only having conquered my aversion to seafood in the last year. I wasn’t about to let this opportunity pass. My girlfriend Scottish breakfast made my morning meals at the Mayfield house taste like slop. Both the haggis and black pudding were incredible. I know people will cringe at my mention of haggis, but it’s an amazing food. I could live on it. Seriously, it makes crack look like coffee.

Back to Invergarry’s hotel, I learned something this day about tipping in Scotland. It’s really difficult to do. No credit or debit card machine offers a tip option, and employees keep insisting on giving back change.

No. Keep it. Well. No. Dwaah!

Basically, you have to be clandestine, leaving change on the table and hoping they don’t notice it right away as you dive into your car and race off.

It should be noted that if you are driving from Edinburgh to Skye and are feeling a might peckish, there are not a lot of options come the afternoon. Perth is too close and most other restaurants we passed would probably fail a health inspection. I doubt anything else could have really measured to Invergarry Hotel. Great food, good service, and awesome accents.

Food: 4.5/5
Service: 4/5
Presentation: 4/5
Value: 4/5
Recommendation: 4/5

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank PrinceGastronome
London, United Kingdom
“Average Bar Snack Lunch”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My wife & I stopped here for lunch en route from Perthshire to the Isle of Skye. The menu was OK, but a number of items were sold out or not available. What we eventually had was OK, but not outstanding. As the Hotel is ideally situated for a lot of passing trade at a major Highland crossroads, we felt that it should be doing a lot better in terms of menu, dish availability and customer service to build an outstanding reputation and therefore to attract more custom.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank DavidKH
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

From the minute our starters were put down in front of us we knew we were in for a treat!! The food was amazing,service was very good without being over the top. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is in the area.the price is more than reasonable for the quality of food....contrary to other comments. You get what you pay for.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Karen M
Tarbolton
“Excellent food friendly staff.”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Food was very good and the staff freindly and helpfull. Desert menu was a bit dissaponting compared to the rest of the food on offer and overall for a brasserie a little expensive.

Visited October 2013