“Little known …. Great find”

Belz Museum of Asian & Judaic Art
Ranked #19 of 159 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: Admission prices: $6 adult, $5 senior, $4 student. Free if 5 years old or under.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This little known museum in downtown Memphis is a great find!

The beautiful pieces were plentiful and more exiting than the actual displays in Asia.

Jack Belz has brought back Jade and Ivory carvings more exquisite than we saw on our trips throughout the Orient! The amazing exhibits show off works that are now illegal to import to US…. large carvings from Elephant tusks and Huge Jade and Marble carvings. The workmanship is amazing!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I basically went to Belz to see the Judaica (which is now open and was fine to see) and planned to skip the Asian collection. Turns out the Asian exhibit is amazing, with rooms filled with intricate, elaborate and spectacular collections. This exhibit is truly one of the highlights of the Memphis experience.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Judaic collection was closed, but the Asian collection was incredible! Even my husband, who normally is not wild about art museums, enjoyed seeing it. We spent a delightful two and a half hours or so marveling at the craftsmanship of the artisans. The gift shop had a nice selection and and the staff member was friendly. We parked in the Tower Garage, which was convenient and reasonably priced with the parking validation from the Belz.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

When I went to the Belz Museum, the Judaic Art part was temporarily closed and they gave me $1 off my ticket price.

It didn't matter because this was definitely worth the full price and more.

Much of Memphis' attractions focus around its rich music and racial heritage. This museum is out of left field, something completely different but absolutely worth your time.

After you have paid for your ticket, the initial general viewing area seems pretty low-key, with a nice room devoted to civil and military badges.

Do not be deceived.

The real heart of this museum begins when you go through a circular entry which leads to the most magnificent jade work you have ever seen. This is just the beginning.

From there, everything you will see is more breathtaking than the next. From the most stunning collection of Chinese hand puppets you will ever see, to room after room of elaborate and detailed ivory, brass and jade carvings, amazing costumes, and beautiful cabinets and screens, you will just want to take everything in like a feast.

One particular standout: a painstakingly detailed floor to ceiling pagoda carved from ivory, with hundreds of people on each level.

Highly recommended. Do not miss.

1  Thank PlasticMoonRain
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I happened upon the Belz Museum during a weekday afternoon while I was walking around in the Main Street Mall area of Memphis. The museum is in the Pembroke Square building, and is clearly marked from the street. You can enter from Main, then follow the signs to where the entrance to the Belz is. [Note: the Judaic Gallery was closed when I visited in late September, so this review is only about the Asian art. Check the website, or call, to see when the rest of the museum will open]

What a find! Very simply, the Belz collection has more “wow factor” in its Chinese art collection (weighted in the Qing Dynasty, I believe) than I’ve seen practically anywhere. Just about everything I saw was amazing, especially the jade and ivory works. Many of the ivory carvings are so huge and intricate that I imagined the artists working most of their lives to create these pieces. I was really blown away. The jade pieces are phenomenal also. In addition, there are other art media such as paintings, minerals, ceramics and textiles. All excellent. The artworks are exquisitely displayed … nicely spaced out, under soft lighting. I was one of only a handful of people in the museum when I visited, so I had a nice, quiet stroll through the galleries.

I would highly recommend stopping by to visit the Belz, even if only for the Chinese art (set aside a good hour+ for this). I’m guessing that the Judaic collection is excellent also, so I’ll have to go back when those galleries open.

Been to Belz Museum of Asian & Judaic Art? Share your experiences!