“Good hotel, but it fell a little short of expectation for a Hyatt Place”

Hyatt Place Memphis/Wolfchase Galleria
Ranked #14 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good hotel, but it fell a little short of expectation for a Hyatt Place”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed here Oct. 18-19. In August we had stayed at the Hyatt Place in LA (El Segundo) and loved it. The website seemed to indicate that this one was pretty similar. The very friendly staff greeted us at the front desk and checked us in. Whenever we check into a room, we immediately pull back the covers of the beds to check for anything undesirable. All of the pillows had hair on them. The manager kindly brought up clean pillowcases and changed all of them himself. Overall, the room seemed a little tired and dingy. The towel racks in the bathroom were a little rusty, and the bathroom door looked beaten up. The carpet had a few stains. I guess we were spoiled by the shiny, new Hyatt Place in El Segundo.
On the upside, our room was quiet, and we all slept very well both nights. The rest of the hotel was pretty nice. The complimentary breakfast was excellent, and featured a wide variety of delicious items from cereal and fruit to eggs and sausage.
Overall, this hotel is still a cut above most run-of-the-mill places. I'd give it a 3.5 if I could.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
annette l, General Manager at Hyatt Place Memphis/Wolfchase Galleria, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience. I am very sorry there was a situation with the pillows. However, I appreciate Gregg taking care of it immediately. I hope you will come back to stay with us if your travels bring you back to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

We were in Memphis for business, and we worked all day. The staff always greeted us warmly and wanted to hear what we needed. We had a king suite and were at first worried about it being close to the elevator, but didn't hear noise from it at all. The room was reset daily, and very clean. Convenient location for our business. We saw another companies business conference going on during our stay, but it didn't stress the staff. On one day during our five day stay, we got up for breakfast at the same time as at least one busload of other guests did. The staff had food for all, and still kept their cool.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank SoManyBeersSoLittle_
annette l, General Manager at Hyatt Place Memphis/Wolfchase Galleria, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. We appreciate your business. I hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to our area.
Thompson s Station, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We like this hotel. We had been here before and were glad to stay again until we realized shortly after checking out (we were still in Memphis, had to go to another hotel to teach a law seminar) that my husband had left his iPad by the bed in the room. I thought, no problem, I've left things in hotels before no problem. Thus began a bizarre nightmare where the desk clerk claimed the hotel was fully booked and the room full so we couldn't check for the iPad. Also claimed nothing had been found in our room, although at that point she hadn't asked for our name or room number. By the end of it I called the 800 number and confirmed the hotel wasn't fully booked. We went to the hotel and finally were allowed in the (empty) room. Given the circumstances we had decided to wait until we got there to tell them what room we were in, just in case the iPad was maybe not already stolen, and the lovely desk clerk characterized our behavior to her manager as suspicious. Give me a break, I am a lawyer, my husband is a pharmacist, I was 9 months pregnant, the iPad wasn't insured and we just bought another one, this was no half-bit insurance scam on our part despite what the manager insinuated. We waited and made a police report, knowing it was not going anywhere, for the sole purpose of later posting this online so that when someone else gets something stolen there the hotel can't claim that it didn't know its staff had a propensity to steal or that its screening mechanisms for hiring are deficient in that regard. My Tennessee law license bar number is 18235, call me if you need a witness.
Incidentally, the manager said she'd file the claim with their insurer, and I heard nothing for months. This happened in May 2013. I gave birth in June. I followed up in September and it wasn't given to their insurer until October. Gallagher Bassett denied the claim, imagine that.
By the time it was all over I had confirmation that no one but hotel staff had been in the room after we left. 'Nuff said. Call me if you need a witness.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank AmberGnTN
annette l, General Manager at Hyatt Place Memphis/Wolfchase Galleria, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Please accept our sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory response you received from the staff at the hotel as a result of trying to track down the iPad that you indicate was left behind after your checkout. Our housekeeping staff did not turn anything in that was left behind by departing guests. I can assure you I will be using this to retrain our team on how to handle this type of situation. We investigated this matter internally. Unfortunately the tracker feature was not available on the iPad which would have helped tremendously in helping you recover this. We are sorry we failed to meet your expectations.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at Hyatt Place! Donta the front desk agent was the most helpful and accommodating to our group. We wanted joint connecting rooms for our stay (there was 8 of us) and he was very active in making sure that we had the rooms we needed. During breakfast Amanda went above and beyond to get my friend something to eat....my friend was slow moving getting to breakfast due to her feeling a little sick. Overall the rooms were clean, the staff was nice and the hotel is located by everything, shopping, eating, and entertainment.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melanie B
annette l, General Manager at Hyatt Place Memphis/Wolfchase Galleria, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. I will pass along the comments to Danta and Amanda. They are great associates and will love the feedback. Please stay with us again if you are in our area.
Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I choose this hotel because of its close proximity to our actual destination, which was my wife's sister's home in Cordova, we were here for a wedding. We stayed for a week and we were not disappointed. The room was very nice, it had a separate sleeping and sitting area. The free breakfast was adequate, with all of the usual breakfast items and including several types of egg products. The fitness room had two treadmills which were vacant early in the morning, and the pool was clean and warm. I did have a small incident concerning housekeeping but it was quickly resolved. Every one of the staff was super pleasant. If there was a negative it was that some of the housekeeping staff did not speak english and in order to resolve a problem I had to go through the front desk, but that was very minor. The housekeeping supervisor was on top of everything. I would definitely stay there again, it is a real bargain...

Room Tip: Stay away from the 1st floor rooms by the pool, could be noisy...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
annette l, General Manager at Hyatt Place Memphis/Wolfchase Galleria, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you so much. We appreciate your business.
Manchester, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was super impressed with the Hyatt. While it was a bit hard to find at first, it was really close to shops and restaurants which was nice. The pool was well-kept and clean, but it was a little bit small. The lobby was nice, clean, with lots of seating. Breakfast was included in our room and it was well above the standard hotel free breakfast.

The room itself was really spacious. I loved the fact that there was a living room so our son could have a little darkness to go to sleep (in his crib) and we could stay up a bit later. Watching TV would be awkward from the bed, though, TV placement was funny - in between rooms. I liked having a fridge in the room for milk and food for the baby. The separate sink/wet bar made it easy to wash bottles and baby dishes. Service was acceptable. My only complaint is they put us on the "kiddie" floor - no joke - every room on our floor either had children or a dog. People let their children RUN down the hallway making a huge racket at 7:30pm - just when we were trying to get our son to sleep. I didn't complain to the hotel but I should have.

The bed made my back hurt, but all hotels have the same problem for me. It would have been nice if they had central air instead of a unit on the wall.

The price for what we got, though, was EXCELLENT. Would stay here again, although maybe not at Labor Day weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate your busisness and hope to see you again in the near future. We will try to put you on a floor away from kiddies!
Ruston, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

we chose this because of the hyatt name but never again. the lobby was beautiful and welcoming. service was splendid. then u get the your room and SHOCK! its old and tired looking. Needs help badly and to top it off the air conditioner did nit work well. we were up and down all night adjusting it as well as it was so noisy. Did not get much rest and we had a 12 hr drive the next day! won't be staying at Hyatt again.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank KathieMae1970
I am so sorry you found our rooms to be in need of renovations. I would welcome more information about your findings. Please feel free to contact me at any time.