“Low cost just right”

Ranked #5 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Glenview, Illinois, United States
“Low cost just right”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

For a low cost hotel this location was great. Even though it was about 20 minutes from downtown it turned out to be great. We had a suite. It was huge, with a kitchenette. Bed was a bit soft for my taste. Staff was great at breakfast. Breakfast was typical for this type of hotel. I just wish they would figure out a way to make eggs that didn't taste like they came out of a carton.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Chicago
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I diligently researched hotels to stay at while in Memphis and the reviews for this hotel stood out. As such, my expectations were high. Unfortunately, I was really disappointed. It started when I tried to make a reservation and discovered it took a while to get to the right person. OK, not a big deal. When I got to my room, I started to have regrets. A very strong smell of "scent" hit me when I walked in. It quickly became apparent that it was masking a more offensive odor. It smelled like someone had been sick. Because the hotel was full, I couldn't change rooms. But the worse was yet to come. When I took my shoes off and walked by the foot of the bed, I stepped in a large "wet spot". It was apparent that they had cleaned up the visible mess from the previous guest but had left the "moisture" behind. If the hotel had been more responsible, they would have let the room air out and the carpet dry for at least a day or two. But money was more important than doing the right thing. At $134 for a night, I am sorry I stayed there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
fluffyncute, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Memphis-Shady Grove Road, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I do understand you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel specifically regarding housekeeping and the smell of the room. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We strive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that these issues are corrected.
I will be more than happy to issue a credit back to your credit card for the night's stay in which you were dis-satisfied. If your reservation was booked through a 3rd party site we do not have access to your credit card information for a credit to be refunded back. I will be more than happy to have our corporate office send you a 'Be My Guest' certificate which can be used for a complimentary free night stay at any Hampton Inn Hotel in the USA. Please respond directly back to me at your earliest convenience with the name the reservation was booked in, your confirmation number, and a valid mailing address if a certificate will be issued. Thank you again for your feedback.
Nolensville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay! Very clean and comfortable room with a great TV for my son to watch. The breakfast bar was amazing. So much to choose from..,eggs, bacon, waffles, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, several kids of juices, toast, breakfast breads, and coffee! The staff were friendly and helpful! Definitely worth the price. I will definitely stay at this Hampton again!

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Batesville, Arkansas
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

Nearly perfect stay! They upgraded me to a suite at no extra charge. Staff was friendly and personable. Room was primo. Even with a big group there over the weekend, the noise level was minimal. Rooms are very nice, clean and Housekeeping staff is very accommodating to the customer's needs/requests. My only complaint is that the wi-fi needs some work as it cuts out frequently. Breakfast looked ample and many people seemed to enjoy it, although I did not partake. All day coffee is available and fresh. "Dishes in dishwasher" is a nice idea for the first day. Guess I could have put them in cabinets. However re-washing the clean dishes with the dirty seems a bit much. No detergent in room or I would have done my own. As a Senior Contributor, I'll be sending them (and the Hampton in Walnut Grove) each one of my coveted "Trip Advisor" approved stickers. Even when compared to the bigger and 'fancier' Hilton products in the area, these are the places to stay!

• Stayed March 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We expected a suite comparable to those in other Hamptin Inns & Suites. The bedroom was so small that the king size bed took up 80% of the room & yiu had to walk sideways beside the bed. It appeared that theis was a remodel where two small hotel had been remodeled to make a suite. We had to pay full price because of the weekend but it was not worth the price paid commpared to other Hilton suites. Otherwise very pleasant hotel, excellent staff & excellent location. We will not stay in this particular Hampton again when there are so many other choices of hotels in Memphis.

Room Tip: If you have more than one person stay in another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I have stayed at several hotels in Memphis on business trips. This Hampton Inn is one of the friendliest and cleanest Hampton Inn around. Good stay. This will be where I stay on my next business trip to Memphis. Thanks.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tennesse_Travel
Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very nice in the lobby area. The room appeared clean upon checking in. Upon returning to our room very late, we turned down the sheets to find a hair tangled in the sheets that was obviously not ours. This was frustrating as we were tired and ready for bed. We called the front desk and asked for new sheets and we were upgraded to a suite. Which was a nice gesture. The sheets in this room were clean, however when I got down a wash rag to use it had the same kind of hair wrapped in it. This was gross and disappointing. The breakfast the next morning was very good with lots of choices including cereal, waffles, biscuits and gravy and fruit. Overall, the hotel was pretty nice but I could have done without the nasty hair!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple