“HELP NEEDED”

Ranked #27 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Scotia, New York
“HELP NEEDED”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

A reservation confirmation arrived in my e-mail for exactly what we had reserved--2 queen beds for a 5 night stay. Then a second e-mail arrived (which I did not see untill after we had checked in) that said "Updated confirmation," for a king size bed. Upon checking in, we were told "that was all that was available." It was a busy week in Memphis so we understood. The desk clerk, Harry and the gentleman who helped with our bags, Henry were wonderful. I asked Henry if there was a refrigerator in our room and he said, "I will have one sent up." The refrigerator arrived before we did with the bags! Thank you Henry! I ended up sick in the room for two days and the refrigerator was needed. The bathroom had only two bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths which usually there are at least three. The housekeeper did not come in on one of the days I was ill, so we reused the towels I had put in the tub. On the last day of our stay, we were gone from 9:30 am untill midnight. Upon entering our room we discovered housekeeping had not come in that day. The next morning I went to take a shower and there was no water, so I did not have to reuse the towels for the second time anyway! A water main had broken so the entire hotel was out of water--which with the unusual weather in the south at this time cannot be helped. But upon entering the lobby, we discovered that business associates of ours who were in the room down the hall from us had not had housekeeping service the day prior either. When my husband complained, the manager graciously gave us a reduction in the bill for the inconvenience. But here is my point--and there are a few: When I travel, which is often, I like a clean, decent room; a hot shower; a refrigerator; and at least one extra towel. I leave a generous tip each day of a stay for housekeeping so I don't think an extra towel is too much to ask. We were on the eighth floor and our window was parellel to the interstate so the taffic sounds were magnified. I also have a problem with hotels charging an additional amount to park in their parking lot! At this hotel it was an additional $17.00 per day and then the room key would not work to lift the gate most of the time. I can understand charging for parking for non-guests but perhaps the parking charge could be incorporated into the original quote & confirmation prior to arrival. We travel quite often N S E & W and when we drive as a "rewards member" we try to stay in IHG hotels which we are usually very happy with -- this one, unfortunately was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Rooms NOT facing the interstate--loud traffic.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michele W
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate that you took the time to mention our team members who made a difference during your stay. We are disheartened that your stay was not up to our high standard. Please accept our apologies for the housekeeping and maintenance issues. We will be able to address these issues based on your comments. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I had a TERRIBLE experience at what is supposed to be a "LUXURY" hotel. Nothing was explained to me at check-in as well as unfriendly clerks. One heavy set girl at the desk didn't even look up at me when I walked in for 5 minutes until someone else came to help. I found dead bed bugs and lady bugs in my room. I spoke with the supposedly front desk manager who did nothing to rectify the situation. She only informed me that they "take these things very serious." I let her know that I would be reporting to Trip Advisor and she basically said "whatever go ahead" This was not at all professional. My experience at this particular facility was not what I anticipated. RUDE STAFF and BUGS is not what I anticipated paying for.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Vanessa T
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. The room was completely inspected and no evidence of bed bugs was found. An agreed upon adjustent was made as compensation for your disatifaction. Please contact us directly with any further concerns.

Kind Regards,

Helen Nelson, Director of Sales
Crowne Plaza Memphis

Travellers are raving about these Memphis hotels

St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel from 1/24-1/26/2014.

Here are the good points:

1) Great location if you have an event at the convention center

2) FREE shuttle service with a very friendly driver

3) Nice grounds and clean lobby

Bad points:

1) Very thin walls.  Could hear every word of every conversation that took place in my neighbors room.  In fact, the bathroom vents are a direct tunnel from one bathroom to the other, so you can see directly in if you are standing on the toilet.  It's just not good!

2)  Dirty bathroom.  The vanity has cubby holes in it to store extra towels/wash clothes.  Those were very dusty and dirty. Also, the bathroom door was nearly impossible to close.

3)  Unpleasant carpet.  Apparently whomever laid the carpeting didn't find it necessary to remove whatever was laying on the floor before putting down the carpet.  The carpeting was bumpy.

3)  Non-working ammenities.  Neither the iron nor the bathroom makeup mirror worked.

4)  No water.  Yes, you heard that right.  A pipe burst outside of the hotel and the faucets had YELLOW water coming out of them.  Now, I realize that this is beyond the hotel's control, but what IS within their control is notifying the guests of the issue and providing some type of alternative for drinking water and bathing.  We were never notified that there was an issue and were suprised when we saw yellow water and couldn't take a shower.  We were also suprised when the hotel staff told us to buy water if we needed something to drink.

5) Rude management.  We overheard the hotel manager having a discussion with a guest regarding off-property parking.  The guest asked if street parking was free at the meters on weekends.  The manager insisted that it wasn't and that the guest would be towed if they parked there.  After another guest insisted that the metered parking was free on the weekends, the manager said either, "Screw You" or "Screw It" under his breath, threw up his hands and walked away. The street parking IS free on evenings weekends.

6) Outside-only access to stairwells.  I know this isn't the hotel's fault, but it is something that guests should be aware of.  The hotel was sold-out, so the elevators were very busy.  It was extremely cold, so going outside to take the stairs wasn't an option.  It was just an annoyance more than anything.

7)  Expensive parking.  $17 per day (self-park with in/out privileges)

I am an event and meeting planner.  I have been in this business for over 15 years.  This isn't the worst hotel I have ever stayed at and it isn't the best.  I wouldn't pay over $120 per night to stay here though because there are nicer properties that are cheaper.  If you have an event at the convention center, then this is probably the cheapest option within walking distance.  Just know that there aren't any good ammentities close by and you may not get the most for your money.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Mrs.WilsonSt.Louis
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding you stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for all the inconvenience doing your stay with us. We have taken notes of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of service we offer to our guest. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your next stay as best as it can be.
Paw Paw, Michigan
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We checked in early and were quite pleased with our room, its cleanliness, and upkeep. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. We were surprised by the $17 parking fee, probably just didn't read our info very well. The lobby, complete with hot chocolate or coffee all day, was very inviting.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth L
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback. It great to know you appreciated our friendly staff. We are sorry that our staff did not make it clean about our parking fee upon check in. We hope to have another opportunity to better serve you.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Our business conference went off without a hitch. The staff made it special and were constantly making sure things were complete.

I especially want to recognize Lee Echols. Lee's pleasant attitude, smile and great customer service made everyone smile. He always made sure that every thing was in its proper place, everyone felt doted on. We truly appreciated him.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your great feedback regarding your meeting and glad that our team member provided you with great service. We will look forward to service you in the near future.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed on the 4th floor last January. We had both Asian Lady Beetles and little black ants in our room. The rooms look nice at first, but at a closer inspection the rooms need maintenance. Outside door handle broken, tiles missing in the bathroom, food remnants under bed by nightstand. The room needed a thorough cleaning and pest control maintenance. Only had towels for 3 people in a room that sleeps 4 and we had 4 people in the room. The staff was very nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SMC463
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We certainly apologize that the cleanliness of your guest room was not up to par and for the inconveniences caused. We appreciate you bringing these items to our attention so that we can make sure the necessary measures are taken with our maintenance and housekeeping team. We hope you will give us another opportunity to service you.
Torquay
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We have just returned from our holiday. We stayed 3 nights at this hotel & it had everything.Lovely rooms,great staff,free shuttle service within a 2 mile radius. It even had good food. Very good value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for the 5-Star review. We appreciate the great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.