“Horrible, unorganized, and inconsistent check-in experience”

Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown
Ranked #23 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Staff members were not organized or prepared for 4pm check-in. People were allowed to skip line because the line was not monitored appropriately. When I brought it to the attention of a staff member, I was not acknowledged and dismissed very disrespectfully and unprofessionally. When I brought it to the attention of management, the young lady "routinely apologized" and checked me in. It took an hour for my family (including my 83 year old mother-in-law) to wait for check-in. Our experience with the staff was horrible! There was no hospitality or organization at check-in.

• Stayed: July 2014
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

We apologize for the delay you experienced at check in and for any inconvenience this caused to you. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Literally, the ceiling inside the bathroom in our room was bulging and cracked! Also the molding around the top of the ceiling inside the lobby was coming loose from the wall. Also the beds were NOT Queen size but double-sized beds! There were four of us in the room, which meant I had to share the bed and we were literally falling off the bed. There was no microwave or refrigerator, and the coffee pot only worked part of the time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We apologize if you were not satisfied with our hotel during your stay. We appreciate your comments so that we can continue to make improvements on our hotel. All our rooms come with two double beds or one king size bed, and apologize if this is not what was anticipated. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

very friendly place to stay. staff very friendly and helpful would stay there again rooms were very spacious and clean would like to thank the staff for looking after me so well especially KEN THE BARMAN WHO HAD A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOUR THE STAFF IN THE RESTAURANT SHARON ANNIE TAMERA GINA AND ANYONE I HAVE FORGOTTEN the shuttle bus from the hotel was excellent they take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius for free the drivers a friendly espicially REG had a great time in the ten days i stayed here would love to return some day

Room Tip: room i stayed in had 2 double beds nice size
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for the 5 star review. Our hotel is very proud of the staff level of service. Thank you for highlighting our team members. We love hearing that our staff member met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is in need of a refresh - the rooms just look older and everything is dated feeling. Having said that, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful - from the parking/valet crew to the reception staff to housekeeping. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly return the next time we're staying downtown.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for review our property. Please accept our apologies for the condition of the hotel. We will pass on the comments to management to make the necessary improvements. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've stayed here before and it was just ok, and decided to give it another try and it was a better experience. However, there is still room for improvement, because a hotel of this name, you expect more. There was no room service menu in my room and only 1 set of towels. I was expecting a microwave, and there was a place for one, but either that room was missing one or they no longer provide them. I was disappointed that the fitness center does not open until 7 AM since I like to work out before getting ready for work. There is very little bathroom vanity space. Adding a few small shelves above the toilet would help. The desk has very poor lighting to work by - I had to drag the floor lamp over to the desk. The 4 cup coffee maker only makes a half a mug! There was a manager's reception one of the nights I stayed. The snacks were good and the beer and wine were free. The man in charge (bar/restaurant manager?) has an attitude. He was practically yelling at everyone to tip the waitresses - "that was the least we could do since we're getting free food and drinks!" When asked for a menu to order room service, he snapped there was one in my room. When I told him there was no menu, he begrudgingly gave me one. When I ordered, I asked what size the water bottles were, and he snapped "the typical size!" When I asked if they were the 8 or 16 oz he repeated himself a little more irritated. The check in clerk was friendly and professional - a big improvement over last time. The breakfast staff were wonderful. They were attentive and friendly and even remembered what I drank from the previous morning! Don't pay for valet parking - there is a secure lot behind the hotel that has easy access to the building. The rooms were nice and clean. The location is great. With its flaws, it's sad to say, but this is one of the nicest hotels in downtown Memphis.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hello and thank you so much for your review. We are glad that you returned to our hotel for another visit and appreciate all the feedback, so that we can continue to improve our hotel and service. we did want to let you know that our guest rooms are not equipped with microwaves, however there is one available for guest use in the snack shop on the lobby level. We certainly look forward to your next visit to Memphis.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night as part of a coach tour . The location of the hotel is not great as some of the rooms look onto the motorway ( as ours did) and the view is quite depressing!
However, the hotel itself is lovely, as are the bedrooms.
The staff we met were friendly and chatty and this really made our stay. We had a good chat with DJ ( I think that's what he called himself) at the bar and Daniel, the car valet was a lovely young man and very knowledgable about the life of Elvis Presley.
Breakfast was continental style, but adequate and we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for 5 star review. We are thrilled that we provided you with great service. We hope that you will return again soon to stay with us.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Upon my arrival and during my stay, these two ladies, LaKenya Engleberg and LaShundra Pollion, were very professional and helpful. Each of them were respectful and took extra measures to answer all questions for me and many others whil;e I was able to observe them at their stations. They always had a smile on their faces as they conducted their duties. While I was having lunch on Tuesday in the dining room, I had the pleasure of being served by Temeria, Sharron, Sandra and Mrs Annie, all three were on duty and were preparing tables for a meeting to be held. All were very kind as well as professional, each of them made me feel welcome and as if I was the most important person in the world. Their service, as well as the food was superb. My only complaint was the way they were treated by their manager, D. J., who was very rude to all of them. He made several passes through the room barking out the same instructions to each of them without waiting for a reply. Each or these ladies were about different tasks but received the same instructions. I was very aware of their frustration yet they continued their work in a way that was impressive. I was more than happy to be served by them.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time out to review your visit with us. Guest satisfactory is very important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience. We are glad that our staff remain professional. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again soon.