“In dire need of refurbishment but great staff”

Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown
Ranked #24 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
New York City, New York
“In dire need of refurbishment but great staff”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

From the moment we pulled up in our overpriced cab, we were treated well by friendly, helpful staff. There is complimentary coffee in the mornings with delicious tart lemonade in the afternoon.
However, as for furnishings, the bathrooms and other items, this hotel is in need of influx of money to redo the drab and dreary decor. Also the toilet needs a firm hand for about 2 minutes to flush.
It was comfortable and I felt safe for sure but the decor needs updates and plumbing needs update before I'd want to return. Complimentary shuttle is awesome. Drivers are awesome. Staff is awesome. There was a small pool across from hotel. Location is a bit remote but they have free shuttle.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mayura
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for taking to time out to review out hotel. We like to apologize for any of the inconvenience. We have set goals to do some upgrade in the future. We hope that you will give us a second chances. We are glad that we did not disappointment on our customer service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Lees Summit, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 31 August 2014

The best part of the stay was the shuttle. We had a ride to and from Beale Street, very informative driver. Check in was fine, I felt like it was a robot behind the desk. She never looked me in the eye and it took awhile for her to finish whatever she was doing to finally check us in. The room was average, nothing special. Memphis was a great city, with a lot of entertainment.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoy the free shuttle and the driver. We apologize for drop the ball on your service at check in. We will look into more training for our guest serve agent, so we can better serve our guests. The next time you are in Memphis we hope you will choose us again.
Huntsville AL
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Attended a reunion here last week. The Service Staff is tops at the Crowne Plaza Memphis. Unfortunately, the hotel is in dire need of refurbishment. We did feel comfortable and secure there but the facilities were totally worn out. (This used to be a hotel of another major brand.)
The location is rather remote to downtown activities but they do offer an area shuttle. The self-parking fee was steep. No breakfast was included. We paid about the going-rate for other top hotels in Memphis. The price paid was NOT reflective of the value received!
We hope that if they keep their excellent staff and refurbish the hotel equipment, this will become a favorite hotel.

Room Tip: The second floor end room by the stair was a good room location. Although there was a reunion going...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GrayVan
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for posting a review of our property. We are glad that you was happy with the staff. We are looking in the near future to upgrade our property. We will pass the comments to our Management team so we can make the necessary changes to help upgrade fit the guest needs. Hope you will give us a second chance in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is clean and comfortable
The rooms are spacious and clean
Public areas are always kept clean
The staff are willing to help with anything
Pool is good they also offer a shuttle service to downtown

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gillandpeter123
Wow, Thank for the 5 star review. We love to hear great comments about our hotel. Our hotel is very proud of its level of overall service. We appreciate your feedback.
Nijmegen, Netherlands
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I read the negative opinions with great astonishment, because we had a GREAT stay at Crowne Plaza and had no problem what so ever. Room was great (no mosquitos, perfect shower), super customer service (even got a call after arriving, asking if everything was at our satisfaction and a free newspaper on the doormat every morning), good breakfast (not included) and dinner. Staff was very very kind overall and gave us all the information we needed.
The gym, shuttle service and WiFi were perfect too.

Parking and breakfast could be included, but nonetheless, this was a perfect hotel for us.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MarcNijmegen
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Wow, Thank you for the great feedback, We are so happy that you came to our hotel an seen for yourself how great our property really is. Thank you for all the positive responds, we appreciate the great comments. We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2014

From the time of my arrival, I found everything to be exactly as it should be. My check in was flawless. Gerald was warm and welcoming at every contact. He checked me in and I also was in contact with him twice more during my stay. Every time he was professional and knowledgeable. Next was Kenneth. He is the bartender who served my dinner and drinks at the bar on my first night. He was very busy but made me feel as though I was his only customer. On my second visit, he was just as attentive. This is the mark of a truly passionate individual. Thanks for making my visit to your bar a memorable one. Finally, there is Reginald. I was going to Biel street by myself. He shared some good safety tips, as well as giving me his card to assure that I felt safe and comfortable that he would come and get me when I was ready.
My housekeeper went to get additional supplies when I shaw that I was so comforted by the aroma therapy products that I found in my room on the first night. Aside from that, my room was immaculately cleaned and she was an ambassador for this hotel. When traveling again to Memphis, I would definitely choose this hotel. I was here for a convention and was able to rest and focus on the mission at hand. Thank you so much for making me feel welcome and safe.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MSCHIEFMARY
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
WOW, Thank you for the great review. It great to know you appreciate our friendly staff. We love to hear that the staff made a great impact doing your stay. We look forward to you stay with us in the future.
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Staff is cool, but slow at the restaurant which got average food. The room are great, clean and spacious. The view from the windows of our room were on the highway but we didn't hear the traffic much. The mattresses are good and we had 4 good pillow of the same size by bed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post you review. We appreciate the comments on our staff and our hotel. We hope you will see you again the next time you are in Memphis.