“Great location for downtown”

Sleep Inn at Court Square
Ranked #10 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel was one of the cheaper ones and we accidentally visited during the International Blues Challenge week (also recommended to visit during this time!).

The rooms are fine, standard motel style and there is parking outside (not free)

Receptionist wasn't as friendly or helpful but overall the room was fine and the breakfast was ok - standard for a motel style room.

Don't stay here if you want to use a gym - their 'fitness centre' is a bit of a joke.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LichfieldMaggie

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This hotel is centrally located within walking distance of Beale St, Museum of Rock n soul, Civil Rights Museum etc and the trolley stops right outside if you don't want to walk. We had a standard queen room which was quite snug but fine for a short stay. The whole place was quite newly renovated and in good condition. There is onsite parking for $12 a night. It felt totally safe to walk around including at night. The staff were fine, and the lady on reception was extremely friendly. Breakfast was typical chain hotel style which I am not a fan of, but it was no worse than usual. No complaints about this place at all, the price was reasonable and the location great, so I would definitely go back.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveller1968
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel is located within walking distance (or trolley) of all downtown Memphis attractions including Beale Street with its many bars , restaurants, and shops , and The FedEx Forum. There is also reasonably priced parking onsite . The hotel is nicely appointed and very clean . I slept well as the room was quiet and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The staff was always helpful and friendly. The breakfast was not special but was what you would expect in a moderately priced hotel. I strongly recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Gary R
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel back in May 2013 with a group and I'm still chasing up missing points for my stay. The hotel itself is okay but the guy on reception was very unhelpful as was most of the staff working there. I do however think it's a Memphis Hotel thing. I've stayed in numerous hotels in Memphis and the hotel staff attitude is pretty bad across the board. A shame really because it's such a great city to visit and the general population are very friendly and hospitable. Apparently upon checking out the guy at reception cancelled my booking in the system even though I paid and my credit card statements show the payment. I've contacted contact Choice Hotel numerous time and nobody can help me so I just gave up. Needless to say I won't staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MezRay
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Rooms are small but clean, don't bother with the breakfast, go to the Blue Plate Cafe across the square for a great breakfast. That being said...hands down the most friendly, warm, helpful hotel staff I have ever come across! Location was perfect for us. If you want to take the trolley to beal, it stops in front of the hotel. We chose to walk most of the time. Follow the trolley tracks down Main and there are some nice resturants, bars if you want to take a break from Beal St. I would stay again. My husband and I are in our 50s and never felt unsafe walking back to this hotel at night.. We walked back from Beal at midnight without a problem.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank taprat
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I visited Memphis in mid-February and, after some research on Tripadvisor, chose to stay here because it was a great price and seemed to be well located. I think we made a great choice. It's an easy walk to many restaurants and other places, including Beale St., Peabody Hotel, and FedEx Forum, and a little park where you can look out over the Mississippi River. It is also located directly on a stop of the trolley. We always felt safe walking in the area, as there were many other people out walking both during the day and in the evening.
Our room was small, but very clean, cute, and updated (we had a Queen bed room). For just my husband and I, it was manageable. It also had a great view. looking out on Court Square, which is very pretty.
The free breakfast in the morning was a great added-benefit, and the breakfast area was one of the nicer dining spaces we've encountered at a chain-hotel, with free coffee and tea available all day, too.
If we came back to Memphis, I know we would chose to stay here again.

Room Tip: A view of the square is lovely, but if you need to sleep here during the day, ask for a room away fr...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank letsgohere
Reviewed 21 March 2014

First impression of this hotel was a most unwelcoming male receptionist who did not once make eye contact with me during the checking in process. Having seen the room I went to ask for a larger one, but he was obviously not interested in helping, just mumbled something and walked off.
The Room is so small, and the toilet is practically in the bedroom with just a sliding door, very unhygienic. Also the wash basin is in the bedroom, there is no room for privacy.

The bed was comfortable and the water hot, but the breakfast virtually inedible.

Don't bother with this hotel, I am sure there are plenty more options in Memphis.

Memphis in particular Beale Street is lovely and the people very friendly, so it was a pity this Hotel let a great city down.

Room Tip: If you have to stay, upgrade to a larger room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple