“it was much better”

Guest Inn
Guest Inn
Ranked #118 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I have noticed a vast improvement in this hotel since the hotel has undergone new ownership and is now under new management. The new renovations that have been made so far are a very big improvement just from when i drove in the hotel the landscaping was one of the first things that i noticed and the staff are a wonderful and respectful bunch of people that seem like they understand what us as a person would like. I think that this hotel is on its way to become a very wonderful and peaceful place to stay.

Stayed: July 2007

Reviewed 10 October 2006

Lamps in my room didn't work. Black mould on my shower curtain. Dirty rugs, walls, sink, bathtub. No TV remote control, and the motel took two days to find one. Locks on some rooms won't work. I had to ask for pillowcases (as did other guests). The lights in the laundry room were out for days on end. Missing fire extinguisher. No functioning ice machine--none when I came, none when I left, and reports of its having been out for a good long time. The hotel will, however, suit guests interested in entomology or in professional provisioners of affection by the hour. More than one guest, in my presence at the front desk, asked for a refund owing to room conditions--refused, with reference to a crude sign posted: "Guest Inns does not give refunds for ANY reason." There are, clearly, reasons. Daily "room service" over my much regretted five-day stay was the poorest I have seen in 35 years of travelling. No one with children should stay here. Front desk staff were accommodating as they knew how to be, but clearly embarrassed to be working for Olshai, Inc., the company wich runs this property. That company appears to represent itself and its franchisor with an attitude pervasively expressing what we DO NOT do, rather than what we do for guests. So astonishingly tightwad is this establishment that one may be asked, says a sign at the coffee-and-doughnuts "continental breakfast," to curb one's coffee intake; normally a three-cup man, myself, I found that half a cup of the hideous substance completely sated me. Ask for a couple of plastic cups for your room,you might be told, as I was, "These cost money, you know." I have never encountered an establishment more "unclear on the concept" of running a motel. It is unclear to me why Guest Inns would permit its signage to hang on this property. Guest Inns should investigate their franchisee straight away. This WOULD be quite a good motel, were it run with an eye to customer service. But that eye is presently quite blind. There are other decent inexpensive motels in the Memphis area. Go there. Pass by the Guest Inn on Summer Avenue without a thought.

Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank JimmytheFish
A TripAdvisor Member
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed 11 May 2006

It wasn't the fact that there was no microwave, coffee, hairdryer, ice (had to buy from Waffle House next door), clock, refrigerator, etc. that bothered me so much. It was just the general cleanliness, undrinkable water, old dirty bedding, and the 4 roaches that I had to kill that bothered me the most. And then the fact that they have an "absolutely no refund" policy. This motel should close its doors until the standards of the place can be improved.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Girard, PA
Reviewed 20 April 2006

Found smashed bugs on the walls, holes in the pillow cases, dirty beds, dirty bathroom and dirty carpet. Went to get a refund, but they have a no refund policy. Now I see why. We recommended cleaning the room with the money they took from us. We went down the road to the next exit and found a nice Motel

• Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed 28 June 2004

After a grueling four hour flight to Memphis, I arrived at the Guest Inn at 11:30 p.m. only to find that they had given away my guaranteed reservation. Of course, there was a major convention in town, and there was not a room to be found. After treating me as if I had done something wrong (even though I had a printed confirmation number in hand), the clerk behind the desk tried to find one last room. I should never have taken it--especially after she said that she didn't like putting single women traveling alone on that side of the building. As the clerk handed me the key she said, "Whatever you hear, whatever happens outside your door, do not answer it!" I kid you not! With those words ringing in my ear, and a deep case of buyer's regret--I ended up in a room that was filthy, did not have a proper running toilet, and I was entertained by the truckers, bikers and prostitutes arguing outside in the parking lot all night. What really disturbed me was that I heard a child crying and arguing with adults. I slept with one eye open and a cell phone in my hand. This is no place for for families. Stay away!

14  Thank Townfarm