“Only stay here in the dead of winter and still keep going!”

Days Inn Memphis - I40 and Sycamore View
Ranked #73 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Monticello, AR.
“Only stay here in the dead of winter and still keep going!”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Complete dump! Nasty, and very unclean. We only stayed one night and that was one night too many. The air conditioner couldn't keep up with the soaring temperatures. I woke up in the middle of the night soaking wet, because I had sweated so. I didn't have on heavy pajamas, just a short sleeve top and capri style bottoms. When we complained to the manager he acted like he didn't care. The hotel was cheap, but spend an extra few dollars and pay for a decent hotel, especially one where you can look out the window and see your car.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Jacksonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 June 2011

This hotel was very cheap but there were problems. The sink and bathroom wall was dirty. Once I pulled back the sheets, there were greasy looking stains, along with something reddish brown smeared on the sheets, along with a hole. I called the front desk and was told that they would check to see if there were clean sheets and bring them to my room. The hotel staff came to the room with the blanket. I explained the blanket was fine and showed him the sheets. He went back downstairs and returned later with two flat sheets. I took them and had to change the linen myself. YUCK!! With another "!" During the night my family and I sweated so bad we were wet. The air was turned down as low as possible and blowing as hard as it could. However it just did not work. I spoke to the manager at checkout and he was completely unconcerned. Probably had heard the complaint before and just didn't do anything about it. His attitude was "Oh really. So what...I got your money. Now get out. Too bad for you." He did nothing. So I'm doing what I can by giving him some free advertisement. Travelers spend a few more dollars and stay somewhere that will be cool and clean.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We weren't thrilled to stay at this hotel in the first place, but it was a busy weekend in Memphis and all the decent places were booked. We paid the same for our room here as we did at the much nicer Doubletree downtown, so it felt like a rip-off but we soldiered on. Overall, we felt like it was an ok place to stay, albeit out of the way, but that changed when we discovered BED BUG BITES in the morning. In the week following our stay, we contacted the hotel directly to report the problem and ask for our money back. They never returned my calls, did not seem to care that we had been bitten, and finally determined that there were no bed bugs and so no problem. They refused to reimburse us for our stay and remained unapologetic. We are taking it up with the national Days Inn company.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank khalp
Midwest, USA
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We stayed for two nights just after the Christmas 2009 holiday. We had two rooms, both non smoking with (2) double beds. We stayed here primarily because of the cheap rate we were given- $50.39 per room, per night. 2 rooms for two nights came to $233.72 with taxes. We were also planning on eating the free “hot” breakfast each morning to save some money.

This motel is really showing its age. The picture they have displayed on their website of the front entrance must have been re-worked a bit in Photoshop because the hotel looks much older than that. All rooms open up to the outside, there are no interior hallways or anything like that. The front lobby is very small and they squeeze their “hot” breakfast in there as well as their one computer for public use (no printer and it was laced with spyware). The breakfast was barely adequate. The only thing hot with their breakfast was the sausage and gravy they had in crock pots. The gravy was watered down and the biscuits were frozen. You had to microwave them if you want them hot. They had some day old bagels and small muffins. There are only a few places to sit down so you get the feeling that they want you to eat their meager offering and leave.

The rooms are very dated and worn out. Everything worked okay, but there was dirt in every crack and every corner, many small things were breaking (ie: toilet paper holder falling off the wall, clock radio volume broke). The beds were not that comfortable and had plastic covers under the sheets. The heater/ac unit was very old but seems to work somewhat well. The free wireless internet was adequate, no code needed. The parking lot was pretty small and only covers one side of the building. If you are on the opposite side, like we were, you will have a pretty big hike up the stairs and around the building to get to your room (no elevator).

The two people I met at the front counter were friendly. They tried 4 times to help me with my room card key problems but never resolved it. Our room keys never worked correctly. I had them give me 4 keys one time and only one of them worked. Sometimes I would just grab a cleaning lady and have her use her master key to get me in my room instead of making the cold walk back to the front desk. I’m pretty sure the card readers on the doors were going out.

This part of town is littered with hotels and motels. They are all clustered right next to one another. There is a La Quinta immediately next door which seemed like a better option every time I opened my door and saw it. I’m all for saving money, but when I think about what we actually got for $233.72, I feel ripped off. Next time I will pay the extra 20 or 30 per night and stay in a better place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank needmorekarma
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 8 September 2009

My teenage son and I stayed here over Labor Day and found it to be, as most of the other reviewers stated, clean, safe, and a real bargain for the money. I have stayed at hotels a lot more expensive that weren't this nice.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Longview, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I was traveling through Memphis, and I was just looking for a place to sleep, so I did not want to spend much money. I have had bad experiences with Days Inns in the past, but I decided to go for this one because the price was lower than others. This hotel was much better than I expected. The decor was not too stylish, but the bed was very comfortable and the shower had plenty of water pressure and hot water. The air conditioner worked great. The room was clean but the finish on the sink was flaking off which made it look dirty. Also, it was very quiet. We heard someone pass by with a rolling bag once, but that was all the noise we heard. Breakfast was not fancy, but it was about as expected from most motels. The only real complaint was that the light bulbs in the lamps seemed to be around 15 watts. It was hard to read. If you are looking for a fancy place with lots of amenities, this is not your place. If you are looking for a comfortable bed, a hot shower, and peace and quiet, check this out.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2009

I found this motel to be exactly what I expected - clean, comfortable, but with no frills. That's exactly what we got. The staff isn't extremely friendly but everything was in order and the hotel was a good deal for the money. It was reasonably quite and in a decent area of town. I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family