“Had a terrific stay”

Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East
Ranked #2 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
“Had a terrific stay”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Was very impressed by the general appearance of the hotel. The grounds were nicely maintained, the lobby and dining area were clean and welcoming, the staff were nice and cheerful, the room was spacious and comfortable. I travel quite a bit for work and appreciate having more than a bed and a chair. Being able to have a refrigerator in the room is a must for me, and the full kitchen was a great bonus. The food was actually very good, curried, poached fish and yellow rice is something I'd expect at a nice restaurant. The hotel is located in an office park but is very accessible to shopping and attractions. Next time I'm in Memphis, I hope to be able to stay here again.

Room Tip: I chose one on the bottom floor to be convenient to an outside door. No noise from the floor above m...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ann B
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to see that you had a terrific stay finding the grounds well maintained and the hotel clean. I am also glad that you were able to enjoy one of our suites with more than just a chair. I do hope you were in a king suite with the separate living room. Full size refrigerators are definitely for a plus for our travelers or even myself when I am on the road. I am pleased you had time to enjoy our Social. It is yet another treat that our guests enjoy. When you do come back for work or just to visit, please give us a call. We would love to have you as our guest once again. Best regards, Jonathan Mulroy, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
North Carolina
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This was not the hotel I originally wanted to stay in. However, the rate was better, so I thought I'd try it out. What a great choice! They overbooked my room, so I got upgraded! The suite was nicely decorated and clean with a full kitchen. The bed was really comfy. Breakfast was great! My favorite part - they had a large selection with different hot food each morning (scrambled eggs one day, cheese omelets the next, etc.) They also have free washers & dryers for laundry. At first, the washer wouldn't work, but Nick promptly came and fixed it! The front staff and maintenance were very nice. There is no housekeeping on the weekends (unless you ask for it), but I didn't need the extra towels or anything. Parking was fine. The area is nice - right down the street from Target & other shopping. Room was pretty quite. You could hear doors closing, but nothing I would consider "loud" for a hotel. The A/C was central with digital thermostat, not just a wall unit. The only thing that could be improved is the TV channel selection. There weren't that many channels, so I ended up watching the same movie both nights. If you're going for vacation, you probably wont' be spending much time watching TV anyway. The wifi was a little slower than home, but worked fine. I didn't use the pool, but it looked clean as well and you can grill by the pool. Overall it was excellent - loved the room and the breakfast. Would definitely stay again. For the money, it was a great value.

3 Thank HCRCDR
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Even though we were not your first choice, I am pleased that you gave us a chance. It seems like it was a good choice overall. I do apologize for the inconveniences of the washer and dryer down to the wifi. I am happy to hear that Nick was quick to respond to assist. It is also good to hear that we were able to upgrade you during your stay. I am somewhat concerned with your statement regarding housekeeping on the weekend. While our sign in the bathroom states housekeeping upon request on weekends, housekeeping is to stop by regardless. I do hope you were taken care of during your stay. Again, I am grateful to gave us the opportunity for your first experience. I am glad we did not disappoint. We hope you will come stay with us again in the near future. Best regards, Jonathan Mulroy, General Manager.
HOUSTON
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This place was perfect for a family of five. The bedroom and living/kitchen area were all quite spacious, and easily accommodated an inflatable bed. The manager's reception was a nice touch, and we enjoyed some well-deserved complimentary beer after a long day in the car with kids. Breakfast was very good, the pool was nice, all in all, a great property. Will look for Staybridge Suites as a destination of choice from now on!

1 Thank cbornste
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
There have been several people discovering Staybridge Suites for the first time as of lately. All of them have been extremely happy with what they have found. It sounds like you are one of them. I do know Staybridge Suites is my first choice as well. And it is not because I work for them. I love what the hotel has to offer with all the amenities and service. I am glad that you have chosen Staybridge Suites as your new favorite chain. I do not think you will be disappointed. We thank you for giving us the opportunity for your first experience at Staybridge Suites. I am glad you found us enjoyable enough to look for more out there. However, we do hope that you will come back and visit with us again in the near future. And thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Best regards, Jonathan Mulroy, General Manager.
Liverpool
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my new wife travelled to Memphis from Vegas on a red-eye flight overnight, so we arrived at the Staybridge Suites way earlier than our check-in time. The lovely lady on reception offered us a room straight away, and even allowed us to have breakfast while we got ourselves sorted. Great selection for breakfast and a good friendly atmosphere in the hotel.

Our hotel room was perfect. Very large in size, with a comfy bed, two TV's, a great en-suite and even a kitchen area. Nice views of the hotel pool too.

There is free laundry in this place which was great, as we were halfway through our trip across the States.

Graceland and the absolutely amazing Beale Street aren't too far away and the hotel had a great guy called Mr Chris (who is funnier than some stand up comedians & believes Elvis may be alive) who shuttled us back and forth to the top destinations for a reasonable price. Ask him nicely and he may show you some of the hipster backstreet bars you would normally miss out on.

Overall it was a fantastic one night stay, the best of our trip so far. Considering we have been to San Fran, LA & Vegas that is saying something.

Kieran & Victoria Birrell

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kieranbirrell
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel especially during your honeymoon. And congratulations! This must be one of best times of your lives. We at Staybridge Suites Memphis wish you and your spouse the best. We do hope the rest of your honeymoon goes just as well as it has in Memphis. To say that we are the best part of the trip so far is very flattering. We very much do appreciate the kind words. With regards to the lovely lady you met upon arrival, you must have met Lois. She is a gem. I am glad she took care of you setting the way for your visit to Memphis. I also do hope that your trip to Graceland was a great one. I am grateful that Chris was able to take care of you as well. If you ever happen to stop in Memphis again, please come by. We would love to have you as our guest again. Best regards, Jonathan Mulroy, General Manager.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was the first time me or my family stayed at a Staybridge suites, and we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are a decent size, and feature a full kitchen. It is very clean, and sound was minimal. The fitness room was nice, and 24 hours, and staff was very helpful. We will try to stay with Staybridge more often after this amazing hotel.

1 Thank trevor4travel
It sounds like many people are just discovering Staybridge Suites and you are one of them. I have yet to see that a newcomer to Staybridge Suites has been disappointed. I am glad you found our hotel pleasurable. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to experience Staybridge Suites for the first time. It sounds like you left happy with what you found. Staybridge Suites is my number one choice when I travel due to all amenities that are offered. I am glad you were able to enjoy them as well. And thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. If you back in Memphis, please give us a call. We would love to have you as our guest once again. Best regards, Jonathan Mulroy, General Manager.
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We spent 4 nights recently and overall had a very good stay . All the staff were very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was good and they had an evening wine and beer reception( get there early if you want wine as only three large bottles available) with a light dinner.
Our room (1 Bdrm Suite) was on the 3rd floor and quiet. Bed was very comfortable and room size and layout good. Had a bit of a problem with the A/C temp. controls and the unit could use a little refreshing.
If you have pet allergies beware because the hotel is VERY pet friendly with dogs all over the place. The manager said they try to limit the dogs (especially large ones) to the 1st floor, but I did see some on the elevator. Did not see any sign of pet hair in our room.
It appeared the hotel catered to a lot of business travelers as it is in a large office park area.
Overall a good stay for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worknless
SBSMemphisEast, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Memphis - Poplar Ave East, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay with our friendly staff. I am glad you got to enjoy our breakfast as well as Social. However, we do have 3 types of wine and are replenished with new ones once they are finished. I do apologize if it did not while you were there. While our A/C units are two years old, guests to find our thermostats somewhat confusing. I am sorry if you had trouble with that. I do hope someone was able to assist you. I am happy you had a quiet and comfortable room. Like you said, we do try to limit our pets to the first floor. However, there are times pets are put elsewhere. But we do ensure each room is cleaned properly after a departure of any pets. We do thank you for staying with us and hope you come back to visit. Best regards, Jonathan Mulroy, General Manager.
Cynthiana, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 August 2014

When we first arrived noticed that the outside of the hotel was very nice, but when we received the key to our room was somewhat disappointed in the size as appeared very small compared to the stay bridge we stayed at in New Orleans and had tried to upgrade as am an IHG member but was unable to do related to the length of time of we were staying. My disappointment changed when I noticed the cleanliness of the room.The fridge actually looked as if it was never used. Room and bathroom were extremely clean and always smelled very fresh. There was a problem with the toilet as had to hold down the lever for it to flush which we did not report to the desk but found one day when we came back from being out that it had been fixed which was a pleasant surprise. It is very quiet and the area is a very safe area. I noticed some of the reviews before we went on our trip said the area did not seem very safe which is absolutely untrue. We parked behind the building in the back lot which was a lighted area with no problems at all. We came in late on a couple of occasions and had no problems. Although we are not swimmers we checked out the pool area and it was beautiful. There is plenty of parking all around this hotel. The staff was friendly especially the lady that puts out the breakfast. We did not try the breakfast until the day before we were to leave and found that it was very good. On the day we were leaving we went down to breakfast and it was as if the staff had known us forever as they greeted us with so much enthusiasm which really made us feel good. The only problem that we encountered was that it really is not that close to Beale street or the downtown area. We used our tom tom which was a 22 min drive to the downtown area and made it much easier to get around but with all the road construction was very stressful at times ( especially during rush hour which we seemed to hit everytime) and perhaps once this is completed it will be a bit easier to get around. There is a Bennihana's right next door and we tried and found we loved this restaurant. Overall I would stay again especially once the road construction is completed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank royjuju
I am grateful to hear that your stay became excellent after a disappointing start. I am terribly sorry we were unable to upgrade during your stay. Unfortunately, we do have a few rooms smaller than our typical rooms. I am happy that you found it extremely clean as well as your toilet handle being fixed while you were away. With regard to the area, we are located in one of the safest areas in Memphis. I am not sure where others might say we are not. I am glad you find it that way and mentioned how safe of an area it appears to be. Even though we are in a safe area, we are not as close to downtown as some people would like. And yes there is some construction being conducted on our interstates which can pose problems at time. I am terribly sorry you found the construction and distance to downtown an inconvenience. I do hope you with come back and stay with us again in the future. Hopefully, construction will have greatly lessened by then. And thank you for taking the time to review our property. Best regards, Jonathan Mulroy, General Manager.