“Nice room...bad shower”

Comfort Inn Downtown
Ranked #4 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This was a very nice hotel. The staff was friendly (even letting us check in early). The location was excellent. It's an easy walk to all of the downtown attractions or you can use the trolley which has a station right behind the hotel ($1 per ride or $3.50 for a day pass). Breakfast is more than the usual continental fare with: waffles, biscuits & gravy, sausage, eggs, and the usual fruit, cereal, yogurt etc. The room was big and clean. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. My only complaint is the horrible shower. Within seconds of the water running it is already backed up in the tub and running over your feet. The water pressure is very low and the shower head is positioned even lower. I also don't agree with parking charges when I'm a guest at a hotel. This one charges $8 per night. I know most downtown hotels do this, so it was expected. Overall I really liked this hotel with the nice room, great breakfast and convenient location. I would definitely stay here again for a night. I don't think I could stand that shower for a whole week though!

Reviewed 25 April 2013

This is a great hotel and ideally situated only around 6 blocks from Beale Street.

My room as impressive. Good size with a very comfortable bed and pleasant decor. There was like a powder room separate from the bath, shower and toilet. There was also a good sized area where you could store your bags and hang up clothes.

The room was clean, contained a safe and free wi-fi and breakfast was included in the room rate.

The breakfast was excellent an included fresh coffee, juices, cereals, grits (I think), scrambled egg and sausage, waffles, pastries, fruit, yoghurt.

I would happily return to this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JDBoy_nz
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Good location about 10 minute walk to Beale St. Nice views from our 10th floor room of the river & Pyramid. Big clean room with fridge & microwave. Staff was friendly & helpful. Free wifi & breakfast. Only complaint was hearing Amtrak go by about 5:30am.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river for nice views
1  Thank randomMA
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I don't often give hotel reviews five circles but the experience at this property was outstanding. From the moment we arrived, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room wasn't ready yet but we were able to leave our luggage to go off sight seeing. When we came back later that afternoon, we found that we had been upgraded from a city-view room to a river-view room and the view really was quite lovely. The rooms are spacious. The bathroom is situated so that the sink and mirror are outside while the commode and shower are in their own room. The shower water pressure was great and the hot water was plentiful. They provide you with shampoo, conditioner, hand cream, a shower cap and a soap (we did only have one to start when there should have been two - one for the sink and one for the shower but we got more the next day).

The bed was wonderfully comfortable. They have pillow-top mattresses and the linens were clean and soft. I rarely sleep so well while traveling. One minor issue is that you can hear trains passing by but there isn't anything the hotel could do about that.

The location is great. It is in walking distance of the downtown area (Beale St., etc.) and is near a trolley stop. It is situated right across the street from Mud Island Park, which I highly recommend visiting (even if you don't have time to do the tour, which we didn't, but the park is absolutely lovely).

The breakfast is fantastic. There is much more available than a typical hotel continental breakfast. There is a waffle maker, a selection of fruit, cereal, yogurt, pastries, coffee and teas, juices, biscuits and gravy, and eggs and a breakfast meat that changes daily. The area is kept clean by the staff and replenished regularly. The breakfast inclusion in the room rate helps to make this property an exceptional value.

As mentioned above, the staff is great. They were all extremely friendly and helpful and always made you feel welcome. We were again able to leave our luggage upon check out but before we were ready to leave for the airport. The lady at the front desk also arranged for a taxi to pick us up at a specific time to take us to the airport. We were able to use the complimentary computer/printer in the lobby to check in for our return flight and print our boarding passes.

The only two minor issues were that the door does allow some noise in so if people are noisy in the hallway, you will hear them (especially at 3:00 a.m.) and that the shower head is immovable so while you can adjust the stream type, you cannot adjust the height or direction in any way. I also always recommend to all properties that if they don't already have a makeup mirror installed (and they do not) that they add one as it comes in very handy.

This highly positive experience will result in my looking to stay at other Comfort Inn properties as I travel to other areas. If I return to Memphis again, I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: It was very nice having a river-view room - more so than I expected.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SiteCer
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We wanted a hotel situated so that we could conveniently explore the downtown and, in particular, Beale Street on foot. The Comfort Inn Downtown nicely fit the bill. It's just a couple of blocks from downtown and within walking distance of Beale Street. Parking is available at reasonable rates and the front desk staff is pleasant. Breakfast was quite nice with a good selection of hot and cold food.

The room was good sized and comfortable, and surprisingly quiet given that it faced the street on the first floor. What really knocks down the rating was the cleanliness of the carpet. When I stepped into the shower the next morning, I could see the dirt my feet had picked up simply walking on the carpet. My wife had worn light colored socks and the soles were heavily soiled. There's just no excuse for this lack of maintenance on the room.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in April 2013. Parking was good value at $8/night and car was secure. Staff at reception and around the hotel were lovely and friendly and always helpful. We had a corner room and it was massive. Our bed could have fitted 3 people in it! I don't know much about the Comfort Inn brand as from the UK, but if this is a budget hotel it didn't feel like it. It has lots of nice touches like coffee/water in reception for guests, coffee making facilities in your room, plus a microwave and fridge. There's also a safe in your room to use free of charge.
Breakfast was a buffet with some hot food (eggs, bacon/sausages, biscuits, waffles) plus pastries, fruit, cereal and yoghurt, plus plenty to drink.
Location was perfect - one block away from the trolley stop (which will take you to Beale St, although we did also walk it and it was fine, about 10 mins). The trolley also takes you down to the National Civil Rights Museum. We had tickets to a baseball game at Autozone Park and walked there from the hotel too, only about 10 minutes. Felt very safe walking around the streets near the hotel, day and night.
We also visited Graceland, Stax and Sun Studio as we had a car - all about 10 minutes drive - and your room key opens the car park so you can come and go as you please.
Had read some reviews where people were worried about safety in Memphis but the area around this hotel is fine and needs no more care and attention than walking in any large city in the UK/US. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Corner room if you can - much larger than a standard room!
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Only stayed one night on a fly drive to visit Graceland, mainly stayed here as they had parking. Easy drive from the airport. In a bit of a strange area, almost inside a car park, but it was quiet and safe. Short walk into the main town area, a few back streets but felt perfectly safe. The staff were all really friendly, the room was very clean, and huge. Comfortable bed, view out to the swimming pool.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple