“Too bad...”

Transportation with Elvis VIP Plus Graceland Admission
Ranked #3 of 156 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee, is the home of Elvis Presley, the King of Rock 'n' Roll. Elvis Presley's Graceland is open daily with tours of Graceland Mansion, Elvis’ custom jets and our new entertainment and exhibit complex, Elvis Presley’s Memphis. The new complex includes a new automobile museum, Presley Motors, and Elvis: The Entertainer Career Museum, the world’s largest and most comprehensive Elvis museum in the world, as well as many more exhibits, restaurants and shops. The tour of Graceland Mansion features an interactive, iPad tour with additional enhancements including photos, video and more.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 14 July 2006

It's too bad the staff at Graceland is disorganized and usually clueless. Pay no attention to the signs that say that photography is prohibited. We asked a security guard in the staging area across the street from the mansion if we were going to be turned back because we had cameras in our bag. He gave us the impression that we would, and advised us to store our equipment in a locker. When we arrived via shuttle bus at the mansion, everyone else had their cameras out and nobody said a word. Yes, you can take pictures...only flash photograhy and video recording are prohibited. We missed our only opportunity to take pictures of the mansion because of misleading signs and uninformed staff. As for the two restaurants at Graceland, don't bother (except to at least try a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich). Elvis himself would be dismayed.

4  Thank dlc3172

Reviewed 6 July 2006

graceland was wonderful, it was my lifelong dream to visit and i was not dissappointed once. Yes too many gift shops just like i read, but when you are there you really don't care about that. The tour was great, went smoothly and we had a lot of time to spend looking around. The most awesome part is the wall with all the gold records, wow, i just lost it. No wonder we all love Elvis so much. He is a big part of our lives. Great Great Great

5  Thank Babs704
Reviewed 3 July 2006

Graceland,Wow this place is awesome,I'm not a big Elvis fan but I'm intrigued by the lifestyle the king lived.Playing music,lots of toys,friends always hangin' out etc.I really liked the headsets you were handed to guide you through. You could pause the narrator or even replay.There is so much musical history on this tour. The only downside is the plaza across the street from Graceland.This is where the show his cars & jet and where the tour starts a finishes. After the tour of the mansion you have a very relaxed feeling but it is quickly erased by the over abundance of souviners in the plaza. Try the grilled peanut butter and bananna sandwich.

3  Thank Clotto
Reviewed 17 April 2006

Don't waste anymore time, book your trip to Graceland! I don't care what anyone says about it being tacky or too 70's looking: this was Elvis' heart and soul. He needed Graceland just to remain human. It truly was his sanctuary. He decorated it according to his likes and dislikes and that's all that counts. He had a very colorful personality so it's not surprising that his home is colorful, too. It's absolutely 70's but let's not forget he left us in 1977. I adore it. It's eclectic, funky, and right up his alley! After all, the man wore beaded jumpsuits and capes! (and very well, I might add!) And if there is one point I'm wanting to get across to all of you: it's that ELVIS LIVES. It's almost as if Graceland is a living, breathing entity and Elvis himself is the breath. You can feel his presence the moment you lay eyes on the house. He is there just as sure as I'm typing these words. When you walk in the front door, it's almost too much. The first thing you see is the stairway up to the second floor, which is private. You can't help but to think about the day he left this world, upstairs in his bathroom. I wanted to run up those stairs SO BADLY. The house is much smaller than I thought. But that really doesn't matter unless you go when it's busy (and it really doesn't slow down unless it's the dead of winter). It can get crowded but you do not have to stay with your group. You can take as much time as you want. Every room I came to, I could almost see and feel all the things that had taken place there. It seems frozen in time but very welcoming at the same time. He was proud of Graceland and I believe he still is. For all of you that loved him so much and still do, don't waste anymore time. Come. His planes and cars are neat and so are all his personal effects that are on display (I especially loved his books, laid out showing his comments and thoughts about what he was reading via writing beside the words). The gift shops are a little expensive but I get my Elvis stuff on Ebay. The restaurants are nothing special. They will put food in your belly and that's about it. But the house itself is a mindblower. And the raquetball court where he played piano the morning he died: WHOA. Boy, can you feel him in there. I don't care what corner of the world you live in. If you love Elvis, you have to come to Graceland.

16  Thank elvisrox
Reviewed 30 March 2006

This is a typical tourist site. Everyone should visit, but once in a lifetime is enough. Nothing ever changes so it is not like you are going to see something different every time you visit. That’s why I don’t understand why some people need to go several times except maybe they are very easily impressed or have a very short term memory. I would not recommend traveling from overseas unless you are easily impressed and don’t mind traveling by plane all day to get here. There is not much to do in the area so this is not the type of place you want to spend thousands of dollars just to go see. Memphis is not one of the United States nicest cities and is actually pretty rough and dirty. It is also not the type of city you want to ride around on public transportation.

I would recommend getting the premium plan because you get the same thing you would get in the platinum plan except for the piece of junk souvenir you get with it. There are plenty of souvenir shops so you don’t need the souvenir that comes with the tour. The platinum plan lets you go to the front of the lines. However, the only line is the line to get on the bus which you have to wait for your tour number to be announced anyways. The rest is at your own pace.

The mansion is nice, but not really impressive or big compared to today’s standards. You can see everything there is to see in 2 hours including the time you spend waiting for the bus. Unless you don’t get out much and everything fascinates you and your one of them that has to stop and stare in amazement for several minutes then read every piece of information then in might take you 3 ½ - 4 hours to see everything. Not a place to bring children because there is nothing to amuse them.

Not being negative just being honest.

18  Thank lakecity211

Been to Graceland? Share your experiences!