“Nice venue”

B.B. King's Blues Club
Ranked #3 of 59 Nightlife in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: Chow down on some fried pickle chips while listening to some of your favorite blues music.
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

We were here for a private event associated with the Liberty Bowl. Was very nicely done and the band was very good. Wasn’t so loud that you couldn’t talk with others at your table, which is a challenge many times with bands.

The food was buffet style for the event and only complaint was nothing was GF for my son and I to eat. It may have been, but there was a lot of cross contamination risk so we passed.

Would visit again in the future.

1  Thank James G
in 19 reviews
"lucille"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Downtown Memphis is full of great places to eat--a variety of places for a variety of budgets and tastes. B.B. King's didn'thabe the worst food I've ever had--far from it. But it's pricey and bland and typical chain food, and the Rendezvous and King's Palace Cafe are less than a three minute walk...and the Blues City Cafe is *across the street.* Like I said, it's not truly bad--but I can't think of a reason to choose to eat here.

The fact that they had perhaps the worst blues band on the planet in there didn't help. The band included an excruciatingly bad, minute long drum solo in their first song. You can't make this stuff up.

1  Thank FrequentFlyerDriver
Reviewed 16 December 2017

I wasn't sure so I had to ask the waiter. Yes, this is THE original BB King's Blues Club. That is rather cool.

Before the band started we were enjoying a great meal with great conversation. Then the band started to play. The musicians were incredibly talented and the music was fantastic. But the volume was up so loud we literally couldn't yell at each other and be heard.

I realize we went out for some live music, but there is a point where it is so loud it is even difficult to hear the singers words of the guitar. It's hard to enjoy the songs when it's being blasted and almost distorted.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

There are a lot of mixed reviews of this place, but all things considered, my friend and I ended up here and felt we'd made the right decision. The cover charge of $7 was a bit off-putting but it's not bad for the quality of the music. The BB King All-Star Band played on a Saturday night, with a first set that was rich with covers (e.g. Prince's Purple Rain) and danceable numbers, and then in the second half went a bit more into the harder blues repertoire. Loud, to be sure--not a place you'd go to talk over dinner. The food...I thought was fine, actually. I had ribs, and they were incredibly tender, just falling off the bone, though I found the flavor, while good, to be a little surprising, almost like they were cooked over gas rather than wood. The wings were spicy and good. Decent beer selection that including Memphis local beers. Although I didn't buy anything, I was pleasantly surprised at the price of t-shirts at the gift shop; they're not as expensive as some tourist t-shirts (there were some for $16, others for $20, e.g.). Overall, I'm glad I went and got to see a really excellent show--very tight band, excellent individual performances, wonderful blues guitar and brass. And I was heartened by seeing what looked like locals eating here and coming for the show, too: it's not simply a tourist destination, although it is that.

1  Thank pdwschmidt