“Excellent; surprised by the number of master paintings”

Memphis Brooks Museum of Art
Ranked #47 of 160 things to do in Memphis
More attraction details
Owner description: The state's oldest and largest art museum.
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This is a nice museum, with perhaps the best fine art in Memphis along with the Belz. The museum is not giant, but I spent quality time admiring the artworks, especially the master paintings (e.g., Bouguereau, Canaletto, van Dyck, Renoir, Gainsborough, etc.). Not sure why, but I didn’t expect to see a collection of this quality in Memphis (was I intoxicated by recording studios?).

The entry level is where most of the cool artworks are: Renaissance/Baroque, French, American and some 20th century works; many awesome paintings. Downstairs are the special exhibitions (check the website). Upstairs are the collections of antiquities, African (excellent!) and Pre-Columbian art.

The [original] Beaux-Arts style building is a Registered U.S. National Landmark. Spend some time to walk around the building and admire the architecture.

Admission is only $7, and on Wednesdays you can choose whatever admission fee you like (minimum one penny). I happened to be there midday on a Wednesday, and the museum was not crowded at all. You can see everything in two hours. I had a nice lunch in the Brushmark restaurant (if the weather is good, check out the outdoor seating). Open Wednesday thru Sunday.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We enjoyed every section of the museum. There was a sensational Hopper. Museum staff was friendly. Gift shop had interesting items.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We visited a couple of weeks ago for our daughter's birthday. A nice small collection of art that is however placed in a building that has water issues and I assume mold. We enjoyed the main floor though we were puzzled about the way displays were arranged.
When we went to the lower level we noticed a musty smell. About half way through the exhibit on that level we decided to leave because our child that has mold allergies suddenly had runny eyes, nose and itchy throat. So we went to the top level where I noticed water stains on the ceiling in just about every room. Some rooms had no air conditioning, were at least 85 degrees and again smelled musty.
I cannot believe that anyone would store centuries old paintings in such conditions!

2  Thank RobN385
Reviewed 6 September 2013

First let me say - this museum let's in teachers for FREE! Wow, I rarely get a perk for being a teacher - bring your school ID card. I enjoyed the museum - both the special exhibitions - which were downstairs - and the permanent collection. The permanent collection is quite diverse - so it does make a good place to visit - perhaps you aren't interested in one thing, well around the corner it quickly changes. That was ok for me. I was surprised by the African collection. The museum is pretty cut up - make sure you don't miss something - I had to circle back through exhibits to get to places I had not been. But, overall, it is not that large, so very manageable. I understand they have a wonderful restaurant and the views into the park looked amazing, but it closed before I got hungry so didn't make it there.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Really enjoyed viewing the Carroll Cloar exhibit. Folksy, humorous, sentimental and surreal all at once.